Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Connect 75 Unlimited - Telus trying to force me into $65/1GB

Feedback Score

Connect 75 Unlimited - Telus trying to force me into $65/1GB

I've had the account since March/08 and had no issues until a Telus rep called yesterday and advised I should move to the $65/1GB plan. He said I was abusing the terms of service.

In the last 30 days I've used 12GB, not abusive for an "unlimited" account, in my estimation. I mentioned I didn't see youtube as a streaming service, as it dloads the vid to my PC. He disagreed. When I mentioned I felt Telus was trying to pressure me into moving off of my unlimited account, he got defensive.

I haven't used bit torrents,or setup and FTP server, or VoIP. Their terms of service state "...will not use the service for: multi-media streaming...", is the very vague part where he says I'm abusing the service.

The way the internet is now, it's almost impossible to avoid multimedia.

Anyone else have the phone call trying to force you off the unlimited plan?

I'm trying to get them to clarify multimedia streaming for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappin
    I've had the account since March/08 and had no issues until a Telus rep called yesterday and advised I should move to the $65/1GB plan. He said I was abusing the terms of service.

In the last 30 days I've used 12GB, not abusive for an "unlimited" account, in my estimation. I mentioned I didn't see youtube as a streaming service, as it dloads the vid to my PC. He disagreed. When I mentioned I felt Telus was trying to pressure me into moving off of my unlimited account, he got defensive.

I haven't used bit torrents,or setup and FTP server, or VoIP. Their terms of service state "...will not use the service for: multi-media streaming...", is the very vague part where he says I'm abusing the service.

The way the internet is now, it's almost impossible to avoid multimedia.

Anyone else have the phone call trying to force you off the unlimited plan?

I'm trying to get them to clarify multimedia streaming for me.
    12G of youtube use in 30days? Wow, good for you if you just stuck to you tube and other embedded video (such as in CNN etc). Must have kept you busy clicking around!

Feedback Score
    I dont know if you recived a call from them , sounds like BS to me they cant force you to change.

Feedback Score
    I'm not saying it's just youtube, there's some MS updates, some audiobooks from a club I belong to, google earth, maps, work related stuff, pictures and photo albums, fairly basic stuff.

Multimedia definition aside, I'm not bit torrenting or hosting anything and I don't see anywhere where Telus has defined any kind of monthly cap. I see some people are racking up huge usage numbers, one even mentioned a TB, yet no call. Seems strange to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TelusRepGuy82
    I dont know if you recived a call from them , sounds like BS to me they cant force you to change.
    Yes, they called me yesterday. He was really trying to push me into the $65/1GB monthly plan. I can see why there is a petition by an MP to get these companies to "define" clearly what's allowed and what isn't.

Carrier(s)
    Telusmobility
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

If you want an honest opinion... Telus is still in the 90's with mobile data from a business perspective. In fact, every single carrier in North America is.

Mobile Data is not just for businesses anymore. It is for regular consumers. The problem is, they're used to having big business (Oilfield companies) with $13,000 Aircard bills, and then they don't care how much they use...

Now Johnny Neat-And-Clean gets a laptop for his graduation, moves out into the country (Our situation where i work) and needs internet. He gets an Aircard on an Unlimited Data plan for $100 we'll say. Now that same person is probably using as much or MORE internet than the oilfield guy, and paying 1/1000th the bill for it and Telus/Bell/Verizon/etc. doesn't like it... They need to be making money, and they see an opportunity. So little Johnny gets a call saying they can reduce his bill by $35/mo but only gets 1Gb of usage and pays $10 per GB overage fee. Little Johnny may or may not be dumb and that's where the decision stays until Johnny gets mad at the company for being stuck in the 20th Century Business Model... etc. etc.

Same reason for the incoming text charge. They are using it more, so they want to make money off it if they can.

That's all I have to say, because in the end ... Aircards were originally intended for business use, not residential youtubers ... The fun part is going to be if/when I get an HTC Diamond and I get to keep my $15 Unlimited Email/IM/Web/GPS data package... Hi Youtube ... you're built into my phone now ... what can they say about it now... That is going to rock the boat that much more.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KeyONE, BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what all the rules are on this plan but youtube is multimedia streaming for sure. But like you said, it's pretty hard to avoid multi media on the internet today. It's everywhere!

If I were you I would stick to my guns. It doesn't sound as though he's forcing you off the plan as of yet.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5230
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    12GB of Youtube?

..Do you own a television?

Anyways, don't budge.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Just out of curiosity, where were you using the data?

I'm wondering if this is like the Bell thing and perhaps you're using native Bell network and thus incurring roaming charges to TELUS, hence them wanting more money.

Kinda scary cause in the last 2 days I went and transfered about 15 gigs just to see how much I could get going over EvDO...

If they kick me off the $100 plan after only 4 months where I've barely used it and haven't even been to the USA yet I'm gonna be pissed. $500 invested in nothing.
    ** WARNING **
    Please use PM to communicate with me on B/S/T sales. There are people pretending to be me via e-mail with false addresses. I will gladly reply via the account "kekko" on HoFo and "kekkosan" on eBay to verify myself. When someone says they are person-x via e-mail, they could in fact be anyone so it's up to you to confirm who you are dealing with.

HoFo | eBay

The views expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect that of my employer.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KeyONE, BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 8330: BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Yeah I thought Telus was pretty good about leaving people alone to enjoy their connect plans. I know that Bell is notorious for booting people if your running a VPN or doing something they don't like. Maybe your theory of being on the Bell towers has some truth to it.

Device(s)
    Treo $15 U/L EV-DO, Rogers Bold from work
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility = LiMit obTUSEly
    Feedback Score
    Tell those malnourished douche nozzles where to stuff it.

If they're trying to tell you that Flash Video is against the TOS, then it's impossible to browse WEBSITES. Plenty of websites have .flv embedded right in the ads. Even Google ads have flash video in them.

Inform yourself. Do not budge. Tell those gerbil sodomizers to crawl back in their holes.

UNLIMITED MEANS UNLIMITED. Stick to that point. Ask them if they'd like a call from the CBC, or a petition like the one Rogers just went through. Ask them how you can possibly know what the CONTENT of a page is before you LOAD IT.

I'd like to see them call me to change *my* plan: it's an L&R special connect plan. "Oh, so after offering me $300 annually in SAVINGS to get me to sign a 3-year contract, you're now asking me to gargle your scrotum and switch onto a plan that will cost me $3000 extra annually for the remainder of my contract? You little cockteasers. Perhaps the internet and the media would like to know about your scam?"

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how to tell if I'm on a Bell network.
    The Sierra Wireless Watcher just says 3G Connection.

I'd pop a screenshot in (of course that would be termed abuse as a picture
    is considered multimeda) lol........

I tried to drop a screenshot in this reply but I don't know how.

I thought more peeps would be getting calls from them as it seems they
    are using more than I am on average?????

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w4lker
    ..... you're now asking me to gargle your scrotum and switch onto a plan that will cost me $3000 extra annually for the remainder of my contract? You little cockteasers...........

LOL Priceless

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappin
    I'm not sure how to tell if I'm on a Bell network.
    The Sierra Wireless Watcher just says 3G Connection.
    If you told us the area you're connecting from we could deduce this from the native coverage offered by either TELUS or Bell.

Chances are if it's in B.C. or Alberta it's not roaming since TELUS has complete coverage and Bell roams off them in the outskirts. If you're on the outskirts of Ontario however, TELUS is likely roaming on Bell. Knowing if you were on Bell would be helpful for us out West because possibly they're only going after roamers at this point.

Nevertheless this is concerning to me and I appreciate you posting about it.

I hope if anyone else has been contacted by TELUS regarding overusage of the unlimited connect plans they will come forward and report it here.

We need to nip this thing in the bud. TELUS is and was known as the better data provider, and if they're changing on us we need to let the public know. I'm sick of jumping around from one provider to the other because they decide all of the sudden unlimited is not unlimited. When LTE comes out and we have 100 Mbps wireless data, how are we going to be expected to keep to only 10 or 20 gigs per month? Things are going upward, especially with Rogers of all companies offering 6 GB for $30. For $75 or $100 we should easily be getting 15 or 20 GB per month for what we pay, and unlimited is designed so that one month you may only use 1 or 2 gigs but the next you use 30 or so...that's life and unlimited should allow us that flexibility.

Device(s)
    LG- IQ
    Carrier(s)
    Telus.Hspa
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, im scared too.

I helped get sis in law on this plan, left Bell to get it.

That is, after their round of cut off letters a few months ago.

WR

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast