Thread: Will a gsm unlocked phone work on verizon?

Feedback Score

Will a gsm unlocked phone work on verizon?

I need a little help here. I live in Canada and recently sold an unlocked GSM phone to a customer in the USA...the LG Chocolate to be exact. My customer claims that the phone is Locked and not Unlocked like i told him. This is exactly what he said:

"The Verizon Company sells this phone and they can not get it unlocked either. They were a little puzzled by this problem. The MEID number and the ESN number are what goes into the computer to work this phone. The numbers on the phone I bought from you do not register at all when entered in their computer. This phone appears to be set up for overseas. The Verizon company suggested that you could call in these numbers to the company where you got this phone and release the lock on it for me"

From what I understand Verizon is a CDMA cell phone company, will a GSM phone even work on Verizon? Is the issue the customer having have anything to do with the fact the phone is locked?

Any help is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    A GSM phone will not work on a CDMA network, or vice versa--the technologies are just different.

Feedback Score
    Is verizon a complete cdma provider? do they have any portion of their network that is gsm?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by berket13
    Is verizon a complete cdma provider? do they have any portion of their network that is gsm?

Thanks
    I believe they have some GSM assets, or at least used to through some acquisitions, but they certainly don't sell or really deal with GSM phones (although there are some phones that are world phones where they support GSM frequencies outside North America).

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by berket13
    I think that any GSM systems they have are those they acquired when they bought some provider that already provided GSM service. So any GSM customers are legacy accounts inherited from acquired providers, plus roamers. But they don't sell GSM to any new customers. Such systems are usually converted to CDMA as fast as they can, but I think some are kept around, but only for roamers.

Phone
    Omnia i910
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't think they make a GSM version of the LG Chocolate, plus if it has an ESN and MEID number on it, that's a CDMA phone, not GSM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hypercooljake
    I don't think they make a GSM version of the LG Chocolate, plus if it has an ESN and MEID number on it, that's a CDMA phone, not GSM.
    The LG Chocolate was actually a GSM phone before there was a CDMA version of it, as I recall--so there are GSM versions of it, basically with somewhat different models/model numbers.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    The LG Chocolate was actually a GSM phone before there was a CDMA version of it, as I recall--so there are GSM versions of it, basically with somewhat different models/model numbers.
    That is correct.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_kg800-1533.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_ke800-1765.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_ku800-1744.php
    Current Device: White Out Moto X 32GB
    THE RULES!
    Please report all inappropriate posts by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom of the post.

Feedback Score

Well actually the very original Chocolate was CDMA released in Korea in 2005, it was called the Cyon Chocolate LG KV-5900.