Thread: WM 6.1 upgraders: can you turn off data while roaming in the US?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score

WM 6.1 upgraders: can you turn off data while roaming in the US?

As we all know, Bell has decided to prevent us from turning off data on the Touch while roaming in the US so we can rack up astronomical data charges.

Can those of you who have upgraded to one of the 6.1 cooked ROMs tell us if it is possible to turn off data roaming, like Sprint users can?

Feedback Score
    When I was still using 6.0, I had NoData installed and it worked fine when I was in Vegas for a few days. I just flashed w/ NFSFAN's custom Bell rom last week but haven't done any extensive test with it. Just sitting at my desk here at work, I disabled my data connection and tried connecting with: MSN, AIM, Google Maps, IE, Opera and all failed to connect. Download it and try it out ourself for a day or two. The file can be found here:

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket...-free-utility/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm using the Sprint 6.1 OEM ROM on my Bell Touch, here's my observations:

Data on "SPRINT ONLY"-

Mail will not automatically connect
    Weather will not automatically connect
    Google Maps will not connect
    Opera appears to connect when you load it, although Google may have just been cached, i'm not really sure, i havn't got my bill yet.

Feedback Score
    You can just switch data off completely by changing the settings on the advanced tab of connection, this will stop it from connecting to the network for it's data service. Some 6.1 roms do have the roaming options available where you can change it but many do not. So it's really a matter of which rom you use.(No I don't know which roms can and cannot just remember seeing this gripe on some forums.)

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfire_2k
    You can just switch data off completely by changing the settings on the advanced tab of connection
    how doesn't seem to be obvious, at least on WM6

Device(s)
    Nokia 2730 - Using!
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    In your Data Connection setting just change #777 to #555 and it will NOT connect and NOT charge you what so ever for data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ulric
    how doesn't seem to be obvious, at least on WM6
    Been the same steps I've used since WinMo 5. Go to Connections tab of settings. Then select the connections options, select advanced and then change it from cdma network to any of the other options. I beleive these were set up so you could set dialing rules to dial into other networks. But if it isn't on CDMA network then the defaults aren't set to anything you can actually dial to.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the-marshall
    In your Data Connection setting just change #777 to #555 and it will NOT connect and NOT charge you what so ever for data.
    the phone will often change itself back to #777, it's not a foolproof method by any means.