Thread: Red Pocket?

Phones
    iPhone 5s 64GB Unlocked
    Apple iPhone 5s 64GB Unlocked
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Red Pocket?

Is there any EDGE/3G data on Red Pockets's AT&T network?

I really like the price of .10˘ per minute. I don't have T-Mo coverage in my home, but do have AT&T.

Has anyone tired wap.cingular APNs?

Also I notice that they have a field for a coupon on their website, any ideas? Googling didn't help.

Does anyone know where to get the SIM and/or the C139 starter kit with $100 cheap?
    Red Pocket Motorola C139 + 1000 Minutes for $108

Thanks,
    -SD
    Current Mobile Devices:
    Apple iPhone 5s 64 GB (factory unlocked)
    Apple iPhone 1st Gen 8GB (factory unlocked)
    Apple iPad 3rd Gen 64GB 4G - LTE VZW

Retired Phones:
    iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5
    Sony-Ericsson: Z310a (Unlocked), T290a (Unlocked), T610 (Unlocked)
    Ericsson: T68m (Unlocked), T28 (Unlocked)
    Nokia: 6010, 6030 (Unlocked)
    Sony-Ericsson: K790a, K750i, Ericsson R380z
    Nokia: 5160, 3360
    Motorola: V551, V60i, V60c
    Mitsubishi: AMPS Bag Phone (1986)

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Red Pocket has "their" own thread. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1384943

I use Red Pocket Mobile when I go to the US. For my usage, it is very good.

Regarding the AT&T coverage map, make sure that you are looking at the AT&T PREPAID coverage map and not the "regular" map. The AT&T Prepaid Map is the actual map that Red Pocket Mobile uses. There are differences between the 2 maps for example, in Vermont, AT&T Prepaid (and as such Red Pocket Mobile) has no coverage (or very little coverage).

I've never used my Red Pocket Mobile for browsing/data but will attempt to use the WAP Cingular APNs the next time I go to the US. I can get back here with my results. However, my thought is that it doesn't/won't work and that Red Pocket Mobile does not support data.

In regards to the Red Pocket Mobile SIM, I saw some on sale in Chinatown in New York City when I had to purchase airtime but I got mine before my trip by purchasing it on Ebay. Since my SIM was not activated, I activated the SIM via the web before my trip and received my phone number within a few seconds. Since I live in Canada, my options for purchasing the SIM and/or the package (phone & SIM) is limited or expensive (duties/customs/taxes). This is why I went for a SIM only option... that and the fact that all my GSM phones are unlocked and quad-band.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    Red Pocket has "their" own thread. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1384943

I use Red Pocket Mobile when I go to the US. For my usage, it is very good.

Regarding the AT&T coverage map, make sure that you are looking at the AT&T PREPAID coverage map and not the "regular" map. The AT&T Prepaid Map is the actual map that Red Pocket Mobile uses. There are differences between the 2 maps for example, in Vermont, AT&T Prepaid (and as such Red Pocket Mobile) has no coverage (or very little coverage).

I've never used my Red Pocket Mobile for browsing/data but will attempt to use the WAP Cingular APNs the next time I go to the US. I can get back here with my results. However, my thought is that it doesn't/won't work and that Red Pocket Mobile does not support data.

In regards to the Red Pocket Mobile SIM, I saw some on sale in Chinatown in New York City when I had to purchase airtime but I got mine before my trip by purchasing it on Ebay. Since my SIM was not activated, I activated the SIM via the web before my trip and received my phone number within a few seconds. Since I live in Canada, my options for purchasing the SIM and/or the package (phone & SIM) is limited or expensive (duties/customs/taxes). This is why I went for a SIM only option... that and the fact that all my GSM phones are unlocked and quad-band.
    how much are the Red Pocket Mobile SIMs you saw ??

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky89
    how much are the Red Pocket Mobile SIMs you saw ??
    The store was selling them for $30 (and I'm assuming plus taxes). Since all Red Pocket Mobile SIMs come with $10 worth of airtime, depending on your viewpoint it costs $30 or $20 (+ possible taxes). I believe that the taxes in New York City are 8.35%.

Sorry for the possible confusion in my previous post, they were not on "sale"... the store in Chinatown was selling them. I'm not sure if negotiations regarding the price is/was possible at this store.

I found it cheaper to purchase my SIM from Ebay before my trip.

If you live in the US, it might also be cheaper to purchase the SIM directly from Red Pocket Mobile since the shipping/handling appears to be a $4.95 to the US. To Canada, buying directly from Red Pocket Mobile, I consider the shipping/handling cost to be somewhat expensive for a SIM card ($13.95).

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    If you live in the US, it might also be cheaper to purchase the SIM directly from Red Pocket Mobile since the shipping/handling appears to be a $4.95 to the US. To Canada, buying directly from Red Pocket Mobile, I consider the shipping/handling cost to be somewhat expensive for a SIM card ($13.95).
    Yesterday (8-13-2008) I saw RedPocket at Fry's Electronics. They had the C139 but I looked closely at the Motorola RAZR V3. The bundle was $199 for the phone (said *UNLOCKED*) and 1000 minutes in airtime. Almost got me to open my wallet!
    Regards

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    I just looked over Red Pocket's web-site, and couldn't help but notice that their coverage map is very probably wrong. It looks like a very old version if AT&T's post-paid map. It claims coverage in areas that I know are roaming partners and generally not included in AT&T MVNOs, i.e. South-Eastern Oregon (Unicel/Verizon) and much of Nebraska. The only MVNO that I know of that offers AT&T with coverage in these areas is the Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk service.

Does Red Pocket have the wrong map up, or do they have coverage where no other AT&T MVNO has?

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    PPC-6900 and PPC-6700 and PPC-6800 (RIP)
    Sidekick II (RIP)
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Anyone ever looked into Jolt! ? It is owned by Red Pocket but looks much more attractive overall. 60 for unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data - pretty similar to h2o - except with a well-defined cap. I wonder if it is throttled like h2o?

www.joltwireless.com
    at&t USB 305:

Comcast Extreme:

Feedback Score
    Most Att mvnos with the same cookie cutter plans ($40 unlimited talk/text, $50 unlimited tnt , 250 megs data, etc) have the same exact coverage as Att prepaid. The big exception MIGHT be Net10, or Straight Talk Att Gsm.

As for Red Pocket and Jolt, JM is powered by RP but not necessarily owned by them. Netincusa, Jolt's parent company has been in business for far longer then Red Pocket's been around. 1995 vs. 2006.

Jolt is another choice though. With their new 2Gb data plans, they have finally arrived as a contender in the unlimited plan class...

Phones
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    PPC-6900 and PPC-6700 and PPC-6800 (RIP)
    Sidekick II (RIP)
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm that ST has coverage where GoPhone doesn't. I can also confirm that Tracfone does as well.

I am going to look further into Jolt - if I can get full speed til 2GB then I can do just fine with that as my T-Mobile that worked in CO (and sadly doesn't work in LA) only had 2GB and I never hit the cap. I would much rather do business with a company that doesn't lock in arbitrary caps that nobody knows, throttles the connection, AND shuts off your data than one with a clearly-defined cap (provided the throttle isn't in place).

Carriers
    ATT Gophone
    Net 10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your replies. I think the number I have is just problematic.
    At first I got emergency alerts by sms but thankfully I managed to unsubscribe from them on the
    website of the service.
    Apparently the one message had two parts and that's where the 2 incoming sms charges came from.
    Then I got sms from a short code "28050" and instead of words there were just square boxes, so must have been some foreign language. I think maybe from Malaysia. I texted "stop" and hope that works.
    These short code messages deducted 30 cents each off my balance.

Phone
    iPhone 5 on ST
    Carrier
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've got a question.. I want to use my Samsung Infuse 4G with Red Pocket (was going to try h20 but heard nothing but bad things about them... so I'm forsure staying away from them.) Also discovered jolt, but it seems as if no one uses or knows a thing about jolt, although I do see them advertising "4G".. (I understand it wont be 4G, just 3.5G, I know all of that).. but getting to the point here it's looking like red pocket is the way to go, but what about jolt?

Also, my main concern, do I need to unlock my AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G to use it on Red Pocket? I wouldn't think so, but i just want to get that confirmed? Thanks everyone!

Feedback Score
    Jolt runs off of Red Pocket. They have better paygo rates and stronger intl packages. Their web/data settings are identical to Red Pocket's. Their principal advantage is that they have 24 hour customer care that picks up almost immediately along with their paygo edge.

Jolt's data speeds should be similar to Red Pockets (Better then H20's).

Jolt has been around for years. Longer then Red Pocket when it was earlier Jolt PCS , A Sprint mvno before going gsm with Att.

I would consider them a strong alternative to H20.

Red Pocket officially recommends unlocking even Att phones. They are a little more cautious and conservative then H20. I think that's actually a good thing. H20's overly liberal attitude has earned them a messy rep as an unreliable carrier that promises too much and delivers too little. RP is straight up, "we've got two gigs, not unlimited". And it works for them.

For true data hogs, I recommend Boost Mobile (with limited non Android/non 4g byod) or Verizon prepaid (no 4g either and expensive.)

95% of us are fine with two gigs or less...

Phones
    motorola atrix 4G
    Motorola atrix 4G
    Carriers
    AT&T
    my parents use straight talk
    Feedback Score
    yeah it would be nice of red pockets website could clearly define the difference between web use and data use. because whenever i think of web use it must be only for regular phones. data Shure is a magic word.
    customization consumes most of my time on my android phone.
    the only os that can cure that is windows phone 7

Feedback Score
    Data is a magic word just like how "unlimited" and "4g" is. It's magic all right, a magic TRICK. There is no such thing as true unlimited anything really , not w/o a throttle, cap, terms of service, some combo, etc. Verizon pulls this data/web trick on its $50 unlimited everything plan (for feature phones only). It says you can get unlimited web but not data. It's a fine line to walk.

Also, 4G is really just really fast 3g in some cases (Hspa+).

The bottomline is does it work for you?

For paygo data, the Att mvnos suck wind. I would go with Att Gophone unless you use a lot of per use texts (20c vs 5-10c on mvnos). Data on mvnos are $1-2 a meg. A ripoff for paygo data. Boost cdma is also an option as is Tmobile prepaid though they force you to get data on all the time (on Boost cdma at 50c a day with no turn off), on Tmobile they make you take unlimited talk/text/mms too but it's 2-3 dollars a day depending on if its only 2gsm data or not. $3 day gives you 200 mb of 3 or 4g data depending on coverage and handset.

Phones
    motorola atrix 4G
    Motorola atrix 4G
    Carriers
    AT&T
    my parents use straight talk
    Feedback Score
    so this means web on red pockets plans also stand for data? i am confused because im so use to the terminology being (web) is for regular phones and (data) is for smartphones. does it come down to being web on red pocket means data for your smartphone even though its called web?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast