Yup it works. I actually was thinking that before you posted and i had tried it and it worked. http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419841Originally Posted by Dark Mirage
If ringtones are added the exact same way they are on the Shine (which they appear to be from these instructions) I bet games work exactly the same.
You'll need to download one or two cheap files or games first. Then you just go into the file system, locate the file under the apps folder somewhere, and paste the java file you want to use over the current one. It'll keep the app name and icons though. Right now on my Shine it says I have Megaman 2 on there, but when I click it it opens up the Opera Browser. I don't know, give it a shot. I'll try myself as soon as I pick up a Keybo in a day or two.
i FINNALLY got parralells on my mac. with win xp.
and umm im not sure what to do now...
i click "get phone data" and then it does it thing for awhile and come up with an error and asks if i want help... i need help lol
is there like maybe a video of how to do this? or can someone do a step by step thing for n00bs like me? if so id be greatly appreciated!!!
"karma its the only thing to believe in, but it does take its time, it waits. like batman. he waits"
- from the thought process of my brain lol
Yep shme is right.
If you want Opera on this phone and your under the Telus network, just do this:
1. Download the generic Opera Mini Advanced (NOT BASIC!) browser
2. Follow the instructions on the first page of this thread to get into the file system
3. Open Brew/ams
4. You should be faced with several folders here that are numbered. This is where you're going to have to decide which java program to overwrite. Personally I just overwrote the Telus navigator since I'll never use the bugger. If you can't figure out what's what since everything is labeled by numbers and not names, save out the folders .Jad file to the desktop or something. Open the file with Wordpad. Within the first 10-20 lines of text, you should see the description of what program the .jad is for. #12 on my phone turned out to be Telus Navigator. #11 was Telus Mobile music.
5. Once you've picked out which program to overwrite, rename the Opera .jad and .jar files to whatever number the program is on your phone. Drag and drop the opera files into the folder on the phone. They should overwrite them, and you'll see their size value change.
6. You don't even have to turn off your phone. Go to whichever program it was that you overwrote. It'll have the same name and icon as it always did, but when you open it it should run whatever program you replaced it with. My Telus Navigator thing now loads Opera Mini
Hope that helps!
can anyone help me with this??
ive got windows xp on my mac now, and bitpim.
but i cant get it to connect with the phone. i try sending a ringtone over and all i get is an error message asking if id like help..
also you guys are using the term brew and i have no clue what that means...
"Go to brew > shared > ringtone"
like...theres no thing that says brew anywhere.....
someone help please...
Did you follow the connection walkthrough correctly? You need to connect through bitpim, tell your phone no to connecting, etc.
Also, I had a problem with the Brew thing too on my last phone. For whatever reason, the phone didn't have a folder called that. Just open a bunch of folders until you find the proper ones. They're just under a different folder heading. I eventually found them but I forget what they were under.
yea when i connect my phone to my computer i dont let it connect. are you supposed to say no. or just leave it up on the screen?Originally Posted by Dark Mirage
"3) Plug in your phone, DO NOT HIT YES WHEN IT ASKS YOU TO CONNECT USB TO COMPUTER. This will then force the COM connection open and ask for drivers. Point it to the area where you extracted your drivers. It will install three drivers and then be done."
How do I point it to the area where i extracted the drivers?
When i downloaded the drivers, there were three folders, Win 98, ME, and 2k, and setup exe. Do i go to setup? I tried it once and got a messege thats something like "you are now ready to connect your phone"
So i plug in my phone, say no when it wants to connect, then open bitpim, use the phone wizard, when i get to the last step, it only shows COM1, and auto, and neither let bitpim connect to my phone.
Wow you guys, this is awesome! I finally have Opera on the phone. Followed the instructions above and it launches over TELUS Navigator! Lol...
The problem is that I think it is a general setup so its setup for the regular keyboard, so I tried a bunch of things, but its hard to put in the shortcut combos since it doesn't recognize the KEYBO keyboard...anyone find a way to do that?
But other than that, it works like a charm i guess...
There's not much you can do about that I think. I checked the website, and the latest LG phone I could find that was supported was the Shine. They listed it as a KE720 or something along those lines. You'll have to suffer the basic setup until they get a env2 version out.
And as for the point to such and such drivers and stuff, you're doing it wrong.
When the phone asks to connect through USB, just say NO and leave it at that. Your phone will still be connected. You don't need to point the phone to any drivers. Just make sure they're installed on your computer. Connect the phone to the pc, pick NO on your phone, open bitpim, follow every instruction but the point to drivers one, and it should work.
If I do that, theres no COM port to select that will work.
Maybe I haven't installed the drivers right?
I downloaded them from the site, and payed $3.00 for them. after extraxcting them, there's 3 folders, and setup exe, i run set up exe and it says your now ready to connect your phone.
Does this all sound right?
Last edited by NickH440; 08-24-2008 at 11:14 PM.
hahaha I am in the exact same boat as NickH440 right noooww... >.< My computer tries to find the new hardware but fails everytime.. even though all three driver folders are on my desktop. Please some help! >.<
Thank god I'm not alone lol
hey how the hell do u power cycle ur phone? im new to bitpim so im not familiar with this term. an answer ASAP would be greatly appreciated
Holy crap, the number of people having problems is ridiculous! Here's a hopefully more clear explanation than the first given:
1. Install the latest version of Bitpim
2. Download the LG USB Drivers here: http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=602944
Don't buy them, just view the ads. They take seconds to skip through.
3. Unzip the files and put them all in one folder. There will be a setup.exe and three folders. Run the Setup.exe. You should get a message saying they were successfully installed. You don't need the files after this. Feel free to delete them.
4. Plug your phone into your computer via the USB cord. The tiny front screen of you phone will ask you if you wish to connect your phone to the PC via USB. Select "NO". Your phone should go back to its regular screen with the time and stuff being shown. Now leave the phone alone.
5. Start up BitPim. Run "edit/detect phone". It should detect an "other CDMA phone" or something along those lines. Click ok and go to Edit/Settings.
6. inside the settings menu, click the button that says "Phone Wizard". It'll bring up a new window. Select the VX-8800 as your phone model. Click next. It'll then ask you to choose a COM port. Just select "Auto" and click next. From here just click finish. Finish or close the settings menu.
7. You should be on the standard BitPim window now. Click on "File system" from the tree branch on the left. In the next column over, click on the + symbol next to the folder icon. Give it a moment to read your phone. After a few seconds, your phones entire file system should be open. From there it's happy sailing. You can follow my other guide on this page to get Opera running, or you can add some ring tones. WHatever you do from here is up to you :P Just be careful when mucking with the phones file system.
PS: A power cycle just means you turn the phone off and on. typicaly when adding ringtones, you add the ringtone, delete the "Myringtone.dat" from the dload folder, power cycle the phone, and they should show up.