Thread: Will SpeakOut SIM cards work w/ 3G phones - incl iPhone 3G?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Will SpeakOut SIM cards work w/ 3G phones - incl iPhone 3G?

Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question to some of you, but does anyone know if the speak out sim card will work with 3G iPhone?

I got my parents a speak out plan just a short while ago and I'm thinking of getting them the iPhone..since my dad uses the phone part and my mom would like to have an iPod.

thanks!

Device(s)
    Motorola KRZR K1
    Carrier(s)
    7-11 SpeakOut,
    Feedback Score
    Should work, based on first-generation iPhones, providing the handset is unlocked.

It should also work on a Rogers iPhone, however, since you can't get one without a Rogers plan, why would you want to use a SO SIM with one?

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Exclamation No 3G coverage / service for SpeakOut

wenyen,

No more 3G access since February, 2008. Rogers must notice the glitch that allowed someone has made tons of "free" video call, though the 3G voice calls still be charged at 20c per minute back then. You may wonder SpeakOut does not offer data service, how could it be? Well, video call could be one of the core call feature in UMTS Release 99.

So while we can put the SpeakOut SIM into any 3G + GSM handset like iPhone, but it will switch to GSM shortly. During the brief moment it shows 3G, there is no coverage and no calls can be made.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Device(s)
    Motorola KRZR K1
    Carrier(s)
    7-11 SpeakOut,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    we can put the SpeakOut SIM into any 3G + GSM handset like iPhone, but it will switch to GSM shortly
    I interpreted the OP's question to be if a SO SIM in a 3G model iPhone can place and receive conventional calls and SMS messages, not whether it would work on 3G networks.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    bylo,

You are not wrong either because iPhone 3G supports 2G GSM as well. Just that when one stresses about "3G", I think it is better to deal with the "buzzword"... so the SpeakOut SIM will only work on GSM with the Rogers' version (or unlocked) iPhone 3G.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    sorry. I guess I dind't make the question clear enough. But my question was answered.

I was just wondering if the Sim card will work with the new iPhone which we all now call the 3G iPhone.

no one in my family will be using the actual 3G technology. Just pure phone call and ipod fuctions. It's user friendly, which will be good for older people like my parents.

Thanks for answering!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    wenyen,

I wish my 77yr old man would could the iPhone "user friendly" He has played around once though but could not get the "feel" right.

Just do not put it into a Fido version OR unactivated Rogers iPhone 3G though. It will NOT work as I have tried it physically.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thanks a lot for the tip.
    I'll see if any of my friends are willing to get an iphone and sell it to me if we do decide to go for it.

thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    wenyen,

No more 3G access since February, 2008. Rogers must notice the glitch that allowed someone has made tons of "free" video call, though the 3G voice calls still be charged at 20c per minute back then. You may wonder SpeakOut does not offer data service, how could it be? Well, video call could be one of the core call feature in UMTS Release 99.

So while we can put the SpeakOut SIM into any 3G + GSM handset like iPhone, but it will switch to GSM shortly. During the brief moment it shows 3G, there is no coverage and no calls can be made.
    Can you just confirm please ... with petro canada and speakout
    3g don't work just for normal call ... must use gsm network ;( ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    oxyg3n

To confirm what? Perhaps you have problem to understand what I have written, or I do not understand you are asking for.

I have already CONFIRMED with 3G calls CAN be done BEFORE Feb 2008 and CANNOT be done SINCE THEN with SpeakOut Wireless. I have not experienced or told anything about PetroCan even though both are handled by the Ztar and using Rogers' network.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks ... i have just see different version in the forums !

Carrier(s)
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So CAN THE IPHONE 3g Make calls and send texts or not with speakout? yes or no
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    ^ If ANYONE STILL DOESN'T UNDERSTAND, here's in plain English:

SpeakOut services compatible w/ ANY UNLOCKED OR LOCKED TO ROGERS ONLY (NOT FIDO) GSM+3G PHONE in the 850/1900MHz OPERATING FREQ - incl iPhone 3G

GSM (2G) 850/1900 MODE: Works
    WCDMA/UMTS (3G) 850/1900 MODE: Doesn't work

So please set your compatible phone to use GSM ONLY if possible, it'll prevent unnecessary scanning for 3G networks, which may lead to intermittent service interruption and/or increase power consumption.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 25; 03-08-2009 at 11:57 PM.