Phone
    IPHONE 3G Jailbroke
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless, VZ Wireless
    Feedback Score

For those considering the switch from VZW to AT&T for the 3G

Someone emailed me about this since I was in the same place almost 30 days ago...questioning whether or not to make the jump. I replied...and unfort. my reply on PM was too long! So I'll post my response here, and hopefully it'll help him and any others considering it.

If you search, there's posts I made a little less than a month ago that look identical to your situation. I'd been with VZW for years. Probably at least 5 or 6. The service was great, and I was afraid to leave for a lesser network to have the 3G iPhone.

Here's my thoughts.
    First off, I considered it more seriously lately because I moved to an area 2 years ago that has maybe 1 bar of VZW service at any given time. That means literally 9 out 10 calls I made from my small apartment, would be dropped. When you have this issue, you're permitted to leave your contract early (if you have no service at your residence, and they prove it by submitting a "trouble ticket" and confirm its true). I was already out of my contract anyway.

1- So....I had a situation where I had nearly excellent service with VZW (inside buildings or outside), EXCEPT where I lived. I paid approx $100-105 monthy for the full package with VZW and had a 15% discount through my employer. I did not want a landline as an extra cost...so the fact that I couldnt make or take calls where I live really pissed me off.

2 - I really have wanted an iPhone forever, being a Mac guy. And whether they admit it or not 95% of the people sporting a Dare, or Voyager are only wishing they owned an iPhone. They give you a 30day trial period to try AT&T and the phone.

3 - I found out AT&T would give me the same discount of 15% through my employer, and that AT&T had nearly full bars at any given time in my apartment (other people in the house had AT&T). So I figured I'd give it a shot.

4 - I first opened a new account with a new number, and held onto the VZW service for a few weeks. I carried both phones to monitor both companies/phones reception. The Voyager proved to receive much better reception especially inside buildings. It would stick to a few bars in 1X while the 3G would usually hit 1 bar of 3G, then switch to EDGE and eventually read "NO SERVICE". After a while I realized my best bet was to port my number over since I only had 30 days to try it, and I was continually taking calls on my VZW phone since thats the phone number everyone had of mine. I wouldnt be able to get an accurate picture of the reception if I wasnt using it often.

5 - I ported my number over to AT&T. Fairly painless with one exception. Text messages took at least an hour to transition (if not more). This meant that VZW customers would text me, and the messages would not come through. I could send them out fine, but I couldnt get their messages back. This was/is a known issue when you port over from VZW. Eventually they started coming through. My main frustration was that with VZW to VZW texting, you receive the new text usually within seconds...where with Verizon to AT&T texts, it commonly took around 5 minutes to receive (still does now almost a month later).

6 - Comparison of phones reception:
    The Voyager beat out the iPhone no contest (at least where I live in Rhode Island). The biggest issue is inside buildings and when the phone switches from 3G to EDGE (you'll lose calls if on them during the switch). There's even times where I get strong signals of 3G that suddenly drop to little to no service without me moving. In years and years of owning a LG VZW phone, I almost NEVER saw "NO SERVICE" unless I was on an airplane. The AT&T and 3G iPhone however, I've seen "No Service" many times within my first month of service. It's one thing to have weak signal...its a whole different story to not be able to Make or Take a call.
    On the other hand I went from no service where I lived with the Voyager, to full 3G service with AT&T. So its a trade off, and depends on your specific situation.

7 - Comparison of phones features:
    There really is no comparing the user interface of these phones. The iPhone IS all its cracked up to be. The Voyager, Dare, Glide, HTC Touch, etc. etc. etc. don't come close. They all sport WEAK color and resolution, and HORRIBLE touch interfaces. So often did I, and others you see on YouTube (trying to show off), have to hit the same button on Verizon touch phones...over, and over, and over before it actually acted on what they were intending on pressing. The web browser puts the Verizon phones browser to shame. Although I have to admit the Dare is very quick with its Rev A speed, its still too herky/jerky trying to navigate pages and often you end up clicking links you never meant to. The iPhone 3G however almost seems like it "just knows" what you're trying to do, and thats how it reacts. The keyboard on the iPhone blows other touch screen QWERTY's out of the water. First because of its accuracy (I rarely make mistakes on it typing fast), and second because of its autocorrect feature. Once you learn to type quick and trust it, you'll love it. If it makes a mistake its easy to magnify the part of the word thats mispelled, drop the curser there, and fix it. One thing I do miss about the features of the Voyager is the Bluetooth. I was able to leave Bluetooth on, and fire up my bluetooth Motorola T505 when I got in the car and it'd instantly autopair. This was great for quick hands free connection every time. For some reason with the 3G, after I turn the T505, I have to unpair, and then pair before it'll connect. Biggest complaint so far between the two phones?
    NO VZ NAVIGATOR!!!!! I used this feature on my voyager (with the car mount) ALL THE TIME. It was quick, easy, and I loved the search feature that you could just click "Call" and it'd call whatever you'd searched for. That combined with the ability to almost NEVER get lost was priceless. Google maps and location is VERY cool. Its fairly accurate, but doesnt come close to the turn by turn that VZW offers. I've been hoping and praying they release an app soon for this. I'll be sold on the iPhone 3G if they do.

8 - Battery Life:
    The Voyager wins this one hands down. With all the features running 24-7 (Location, 3G, Bluetooth, full brightness, Mobile Email Fetching every 15min, etc), I would easily get a couple days battery life with moderate to frequent use of all of those features plus normal calls and TONS of text. The iPhone battery life SUCKED even with turning the majority of the same features OFF....in the beginning but seems to have improved a bit combined with the fact that I don't try to play with it ever 5minutes like I did when it was brand new.

9 - Voice/Call Quality
    Believe it or not, the 3G iPhone has MUCH clearer, crisp voice quality on calls. Until you drop the call that is.

10 - I'm now getting a phone through work (which is on the Verizon plan). It'll be the newest version of the GZone Boulder. This will mean I'll now have the ability to make/receive calls on the excellent VZW network, AND keep those "in-calls" on that phone since I know so many friends and family that remain on Verizon. This is a contributing factor on why I'll probably keep the phone. I now have the best of both worlds. Best network with my work phone (which I'm not paying for)...and the best multi-use touch device that I am paying for.

11 - The Plans:
    The way I was setup with VZW and the way I'm currently set up with AT&T (both 900min plans) I'm slightly over what I was paying with Verizon. Again, now I have rollover minutes though - which I did not have with Verizon. My most unfortunate situation is that MANY of my incoming and outgoing calls before were "IN-NETWORK" and therefore used no minutes. So consider how often you'll be racking up minutes calling and taking calls from AT&T.

Overall, I love the phone. Believe it or not, tomorrow or the next day is the end of my 30day trial period. I'm almost positive I'm keeping it...its just the fundamental things that I miss from the VZW/Voyager thats making me slightly unsure. Better network, VZ Navigator, better battery, faster texting etc. Everything else about the 3G is better, and like I said, I now have full service at home which is a big selling point.

Hope this helps!

Phone
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Spoken like a true iPhone customer, seems like the phone can't be owned without some drama.

But alas, here we are, still rocking iPhones. The thing is just that amazing.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Excellent review. I never understood why AT&T is so poor in RI especially when they merged both Cingular (800) and AT&T Wireless (1900) networks. AT&T Wireless 1900 helped them out along I-95, where there were spots that Cingular was totally dead, but even after the networks were combined, it seems their cells are spread out too far apart. I find T-Mobile and Sprint have better service there than AT&T. Even I (who goes to RI only on visits) can tell AT&T's network is weak in RI.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Phone
    motorola A8555 Droid
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    excellent review....i myself will keep my blackberry for voice,text ,mms and work email.

iphone will be for web , light voice & text use, and personal email. i was pretty sad that my first 4 calls got dropped and that having the thing since last friday ive dropped more calls than i have with vzw for the past year.

Phone
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier
    Att
    Feedback Score
    great post!! I am in that situation right now, most likely going to make the switch soon... I hope that att's reception is better out here in california, I don't get 3g at my house but just about everywhere else I do, so wifi will cover that... Now I am a little worried about the text messaging situation... Could you elaborate on that... do text messages ALWAYS take a long time to come from verizon members? Does it take a long time to send the messages to verizon customers?

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G (8 Gig)
    Carrier
    Cingular / AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Funny you should mention the text messaging delay between Verizon and AT&T customers. My friends and I noticed this delay a few days ago. AT&T to AT&T text messages would come instantly, while AT&T to Verizon (and vice versa) messages had at least a few minutes of delay.

That's not to say that this happens all the time. Today the texting between carriers worked perfectly (no delay whatsoever). It just happens at random times... which is VERY annoying. We tested the delay on Saturday and Sunday at around 5PM both days, where Saturday was when we noticed the delay.