Thread: Change ESN on Nokia 2128i ???

Feedback Score

Question Change ESN on Nokia 2128i ???

Hi All,

I need to make a backup phone for my father. His eyesight is poor from diabetes and he can only see (more like feel) button to answer or end a call, nothing else. He is on my family plan with Verizon. I'm thinking, if I clone this phone and he loses the other one, family can always get a hold of him.

I would like to take the ESN # from his Nokia 3589i and put it into a Nokia 2128i. I have been able to program the Nokia 2128i with his current phone # using the various codes *3001#12345# and *#639# . I cannot view the IMEI # (I think that's what it is called) with *#06# because it is a CDMA. However, I cannot change ESN # on the Nokia 2128i but I can view it.

Also, if this is cannot be done with Verizon, does anyone know of Cellular Carrier that will allow (2) phones to use (1) cell #, similar to having (2) landline phones? I thought I saw somewhere on a different thread that T-Mobile allowed this. Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sw4951
    1. I need to make a backup phone for my father. I'm thinking, if I clone this phone and he loses the other one, family can always get a hold of him.
    2. I would like to take the ESN # from his Nokia 3589i and put it into a Nokia 2128i.
    3. Does anyone know of Cellular Carrier that will allow (2) phones to use (1) cell #, similar to having (2) landline phones? I thought I saw somewhere on a different thread that T-Mobile allowed this.
    1. I don't believe "cloning" will do what you want... just move him to the 2128i with the on-line ESN change. I suggest you guard against the expense and nuisance of a lost phone by getting and activating your replacement phones in advance. Verizon has changed their policy and only allows you to replace a lost phone with an inexpensive prepaid phone if that phone has been in use as a prepaid for six months. Get something like the Verizon InPulse Samsung u340 - $19 last week on sale - (I'd get two...) and activate to start the 180-day clock. (I'd use PagePlus) If you have extra old phones in the linen closet, you don't have to do this.

2. No. Cell phones can't do this. "Grand Central" (now part of Google) is almost like this. The T-Mobile "@Home" deal can have two lines - but not exactly in the fashion you desire.
    Regards

Feedback Score
    Hi Frontierjustice,

Thanks so much for the info!! I will definitely check this out!!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Be advised that cloning telephones is a violation of federal laws.

Phone cloning is outlawed by the Wireless Telephone Protection Act of 1998, which prohibits:

knowingly using, producing, trafficking in, having control or custody of, or possessing hardware or software knowing that it has been configured to insert or modify telecommunication identifying information associated with or contained in a telecommunications instrument so that such instrument may be used to obtain telecommunications service without authorization.[2]

The effectiveness of phone cloning is limited. Every mobile phone contains a radio fingerprint in its transmission signal which remains unique to that mobile despite changes to the phones ESN or MIN. Thus, cellular companies are often able to catch cloned phones when there are discrepancies between the fingerprint and the ESN or MIN.
    URL for WTPA:
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...=f:publ172.105
    Earl F. Parrish