Thread: Prepaid that allows short codes?

Phone
    Treo 680
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA prepaid
    Feedback Score

Prepaid that allows short codes?

I'm on T-Mobile USA's prepaid, and it works fine, but there are two things I miss:

I can't send text messages to short codes like Google Txt and Cha Cha. I see Tracfone and Net 10 also block short codes. Is there any U.S. prepaid provider that enables these? I can understand that they'd block premium SMS (though it would be better if they only did it at the customer's request), but Google Txt and ChaCha are free.

It would also be nice to get Edge networking. I see some prepaid plans allow that on a per-day basis.

Alexandria, VA, where congresscritters go to behave badly
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Have you checked out AT&T GoPhone? I have never had a problem sending an SMS to a short code, and there are also various data options.
    If you lived in this signature, you'd be home by now.

Phone
    Treo 680
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Thanks - I have looked at AT&T, and it's interesting to know that the short codes work, but the plans would be much more expensive than T-Mobile for me. I talk on the phone a few minutes per day, but I do that every day. Since T-Mobile has no daily access fee and the minutes on the $100 card don't expire for a year, I get away with paying $12-15 or so per month. AT&T has a $1 daily access fee for its cheapest plan, so that would right away cost me at least $30 per month. For the plan without a daily access fee, the price is 25 cents per minute, compared to 10 cents on T-Mobile.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    I DONT know about chacha but I use google on tracfone activated under the att system also have cdma tracs that google txt as well tracfones never charge for roaming pageplus which uses verizons network also let us google as well. one time they tried to not let us use google but they got complaints and let us use it again. another good thing about tracfone is that 411 only costs airtime same w net10 which saves about 2 bux a time. I have a tracfone just for that. some tracfones have free incoming texts which makes your google question and answer cost about 3 cents (must have double minutes on the fone

Phone
    Treo 680
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn
    I DONT know about chacha but I use google on tracfone activated under the att system also have cdma tracs that google txt as well tracfones never charge for roaming pageplus which uses verizons network also let us google as well. one time they tried to not let us use google but they got complaints and let us use it again. another good thing about tracfone is that 411 only costs airtime same w net10 which saves about 2 bux a time. I have a tracfone just for that. some tracfones have free incoming texts which makes your google question and answer cost about 3 cents (must have double minutes on the fone
    That's cool - Tracfone was my leading alternative until I saw that they also block short codes. It's good to know that's not a blanket ban. But I also see they ban international SMS, which I use. Is there a way around that?

Phone
    Sanyo Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think Net10 allows SOME.....because I know I can text my status to Twitter on my Net10 phone, and that would be a short code, right? It's a five-digit thing. Maybe it is just the ones that cost that it won't let you do, because there would be no way to bill you?

Lovellbird

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    with some tracs you can sms to an email address. as you all phones w sms have an email address for example may be 1234567890 @ att . txt . com so use an email address to send an receive so intl sms should be ok using the email format. and dont forget you have intl LD to 60 countries on trac which is a good option. lot of good features with trac if you know how to work them.

Feedback Score
    like a virgin! mobile... heh