Thread: Do they charge extra for calls made to Hawaii?

Phone
    LG Env VX9100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Do they charge extra for calls made to Hawaii?

I'm on the 1400 Nationwide Basic Family Share Plan.
    Do they charge extra for calls made to Hawaii? Or is it counted toward my 1400 shared minutes.

Feedback Score
    All of United States (which includes Hawaii and Alaska) and I believe even Puerto Rico are part of the domestic area that Nationwide (and I think even the older America's Choice) plans cover without any roaming or long distance charges.

Phone
    LG Env VX9100
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    How about Guam?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LALING
    How about Guam?
    That doesn't appear to be listed in their coverage map for these plans, so it doesn't seem like it would be covered. www.vzw.com/international might be of some help with all of this as well.

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Guam does not count as domestic. Puerto Rico was special because VZW had a presence there and it's close.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0
    Guam does not count as domestic. Puerto Rico was special because VZW had a presence there and it's close.
    VZW recently sold their interest in their Puerto Rico system. It now counts like any other Extended Network roaming, but calls to/from Puerto Rico phones are not IN any more.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH
    VZW recently sold their interest in their Puerto Rico system. It now counts like any other Extended Network roaming, but calls to/from Puerto Rico phones are not IN any more.
    But they should still not incur any roaming or long distance charges (when you are calling to Puerto Rico from US or calling to US from Puerto Rico), right?

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    But they should still not incur any roaming or long distance charges (when you are calling to Puerto Rico from US or calling to US from Puerto Rico), right?
    My understanding is that calls to/from a VZW phone that happens to be in Puerto Rico are treated exactly like roaming on a Extended Network system in the 50 states, with no extra charges.

Phone
    Iphone 4
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Im calling Hawaii tomorrow!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH
    My understanding is that calls to/from a VZW phone that happens to be in Puerto Rico are treated exactly like roaming on a Extended Network system in the 50 states, with no extra charges.
    So what about calling basically any Puerto Rico number (even a landline or another mobile phone from a different carrier) from a VZW in US, or calling any US number from a VZW phone in Puerto Rico? It sounds like all of that should be covered by the plan as well (not as IN calling, but basically just like any other calling within US).

Feedback Score
    So what about calling basically any Puerto Rico number (even a landline or another mobile phone from a different carrier) from a VZW in US, or calling any US number from a VZW phone in Puerto Rico? It sounds like all of that should be covered by the plan as well (not as IN calling, but basically just like any other calling within US).
    bump, i am interested in how these calls are charged as well. i know for sure that the unlimited plan covers calls to PR, but do regular plans cover it as well? my guess would be yes. also when in PR with a VZW phone, does anybody know how that is handled?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    Calling PR is no different than calling any of the 50 states, ie. no long-distance charges. Calling back to the US from PR is different, depending on who you roam on. If you roam on Claro (PRTC) or Open Mobile (PR Wireless) it's considered extended network and there are no roaming charges. But curiously, if you roam on Sprint, it's not considered extended network and domestic roaming charges ($0.69/min) will apply. So watch your roam indicator carefully before making or accepting calls in PR.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LALING
    How about Guam?
    VZW doesn't consider USVI, Guam, and Northern Mariana Islands as "domestic", so long-distance and roaming charges do apply.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    IN calling does apply normally between a VZW phone in the 50 united states and a VZW phone in PR (while roaming on PRTC or PR Wireless, not on Sprint).