Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Move Sidekick 3 to AT&T?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Sidekick LX 09 (Carbon)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA/Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gxmaddict
    ebay, google..etc -> i got one myself (sidekick lx/white -fully unlocked with fido/rogers)
    Okay. I'm going to explain this in a wqay hopefully everyone will understand. When you unlock a Sidekick or any other device, you are able to use it and all suppported features on any network of your choice. If a provider you're using it on doesn't support some features, Danger server access for example, then it just doesn't work. So, an unlocked Sidekick will work on AT&T but they don't have access to teh Danger servers so those features that rely on access to that server just don't work.

Fido/Rogers Canada do have access to the Danger servers. Fido once offered service for the HipTop 2 which a lot of their subscribers still have an use. As a result, roaming in Canada onto Rogers/Fido will get you access to the Danger servers. Any user buying a Sidekick that is unlocked and uses it on the no longer offered Fido HipTop data plan will have all features available if they change the APN. The same applies if you take an unlocked Sidekick onto anther provider like Telstra and subscribe to their data service for the HipTop and change the APN to the appropriate address for that provider.

So... Unliocking a Sidekick does unloack every feature within the device. It's just those features don't work on 90% of the cellular networks around the world. Understand?
    rHG3|

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I fully understand all that (although I didn't know Fido/Rogers had access to the Danger servers).

My point is that it IS technically possible to hack the Sidekick 3 so that it doesn't use the Danger servers anymore. The only reason it hasn't been done yet is because the people with the skills to do it obviously didn't think it was worth their time. They were busy hacking the many Windows Mobile phones and the iPhone.

And with the Sidekick 3 only having edge data, I doubt anyone is going to put much effort into getting the data working on other carriers. I was mainly hoping that someone had already done it, but I guess they haven't yet...

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Sidekick LX 09 (Carbon)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA/Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The thing is, the Sidekick series of mobiles aren't geared towards anyone with those skills. The OS is locked down so tight as well that it really just is a bit of a pain to even bother approaching. To get any decent access to the OS, you need a developer key from Danger and they don't come easy anymore. Java really isn't a favored platform for developers either so that doesn't help. With Microsoft now owning Danger, hopefully that will translate into a better and less secure OS that's more compaticole with Windows Mobile in the Sidekick 3G. Yes, there will be one. We just don't know when.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rHG3|
    The thing is, the Sidekick series of mobiles aren't geared towards anyone with those skills. The OS is locked down so tight as well that it really just is a bit of a pain to even bother approaching. To get any decent access to the OS, you need a developer key from Danger and they don't come easy anymore. Java really isn't a favored platform for developers either so that doesn't help. With Microsoft now owning Danger, hopefully that will translate into a better and less secure OS that's more compaticole with Windows Mobile in the Sidekick 3G. Yes, there will be one. We just don't know when.
    Oh, I'm positive there will be a 3G Sidekick. Microsoft didn't buy them just to kill them off.

On the OS being locked down- it's no more locked down than an iPhone. But you're right, it isn't really geared toward the people with the skills to do anything with it.

You can bet a lot of things are going to change with Microsoft owning them though. For one thing, Microsoft doesn't particularly like Java. So that alone should mean big changes. Every Sidekick device from here on out will probably have high speed data too. I'm not sure if Microsoft is going to open things up any more than that though.

I kind of halfway think Microsoft bought them just to get their server technology so they could start selling locked down devices. On the other hand, maybe they bought them so they could have a proven platform to start making their own Windows Mobile phones. Or maybe it's both- maybe they want to start selling locked down Windows Mobile phones to compete with the iPhone.

Who knows... It will be interesting to see what comes of it though.

Device(s)
    iPhone IIIgs
    Carrier(s)
    Main: Cingular(US)
    Feedback Score
    The sidekick's architecture is more like a blackberry than an iphone/windows mobile/palmos device. The sidekick connects to a sidekick server which connects to the internet. The sidekick server is controlled by the carrier, so without a server to act as an intermediary, you don't have a network connection - period.

It would be nice to have the sidekick servers operated by danger themselves, so one could change carriers, but that is not the way it works.
    Club-Admiralty - my site

Phone History: Maxon MX-3204; Nokia 7110; Nokia 8290; Ericsson T28w; Nokia 8890; Ericsson T68; SE P800; Nokia 7190; HTC Blue Angel; LG L1400; Nokia 1100; Blackberry 8703; Nokia N80; Nokia 6126; Motorola V3xx, iPhone IIIgs

I Lurk, therefore I am

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralAK
    The sidekick's architecture is more like a blackberry than an iphone/windows mobile/palmos device. The sidekick connects to a sidekick server which connects to the internet. The sidekick server is controlled by the carrier, so without a server to act as an intermediary, you don't have a network connection - period.

It would be nice to have the sidekick servers operated by danger themselves, so one could change carriers, but that is not the way it works.
    Yeah, I know about the Danger servers and how the Sidekick connects. it's similar to the way Opera Mini and Skyfire work.

The iPhone works in a similar way. It connects to an Apple server for many things that it does.

The thing is, I am positive there is a way to set the Sidekick to connect to a different server- one on your own home network even, rather than the Danger server that it currently uses. heck, there is probably even a way to flash a whole new ROM onto the device with all new software/settings that doesn't even require a Danger server. Some sort of Linux distro (Google's Android) would probably work.

But, like you said, the device isn't geared towards the people with the skills to do it, and there are probably very few (if any) people with the skills to do it that actually own the device...

Feedback Score
    They can definately be unlocked. I just came back from Singapore and Philippines and saw several people using sidekick LX's and even the new sidekick 08 (I didn't even know it came out, it came out here while I was in Philippines and already saw people using it there). I wish I had brought my LX so I could've gotten it unlocked there.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This thread went downhill pretty fast. So what has been covered?

Sidekicks can be unlocked. Fact.
    Sidekicks can use the internet/mms once it is unlocked. Depends on your carrier.
    Salty Dawg did not do much research before posting here. Fact.
    AdmiralAK and Archangel know what they are talking about. Fact.
    I answered this question in the second post. Fact.

Carry on.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    This thread went downhill pretty fast. So what has been covered?

Sidekicks can be unlocked. Fact.
    Sidekicks can use the internet/mms once it is unlocked. Depends on your carrier.
    Salty Dawg did not do much research before posting here. Fact.
    AdmiralAK and Archangel know what they are talking about. Fact.
    I answered this question in the second post. Fact.

Carry on.
    Actually you were wrong in the second post when you said the 850 band didn't work on AT&T, but whatever.
    And I actually did do some research before posting here. If you notice in the first post I clearly said I did not expect to get data working, but I did expect to get SMS and voice. Notice, nobody in this thread told me how to do it, but yet I got voice and SMS working anyway.

I must have known something about it after all.

I was mainly hoping we could put our heads together and figure out how to get data working. But with all the children chanting, "It's not possible" it seems like the entire Sidekick user base is brainwashed.

The bottom line is there is something in that device that tells it to use a Danger server. And that setting could be changed to another server. And the software on the Sidekick itself could possibly be changed to different software that doesn't even require an extra server. Google's Android (Linux based) comes to mind. If someone were to flash Android onto the Sidekick, it would no longer require Danger's (or anybody else's) servers. But since nobody has tried to do this yet, all the kiddies think it's impossible and flame anyone who even suggests it.

The real people that haven't done any research are the ones saying it's impossible. There are plenty of devices that were totally locked down and required carrier servers that are now running custom ROMs, custom software, and on different carriers. Blackberries, iPhones, Windows Mobile Phones, Palms, etc. Just because nobody has bothered to do it with a Sidekick yet doesn't mean it's impossible.

And part of the reason nobody has done it yet is because of all the kiddies chanting "it's impossible, don't waste your time" every time someone suggests it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg
    Actually you were wrong in the second post when you said the 850 band didn't work on AT&T, but whatever.
    And I actually did do some research before posting here. If you notice in the first post I clearly said I did not expect to get data working, but I did expect to get SMS and voice. Notice, nobody in this thread told me how to do it, but yet I got voice and SMS working anyway.
    That is because voice and SMS will work regardless on any GSM phone as long as you have a signal. Internet and MMS will not work without the proper settings entered into the phone.

I must have known something about it after all.
    What you know is basic information that we all have covered.

was mainly hoping we could put our heads together and figure out how to get data working. But with all the children chanting, "It's not possible" it seems like the entire Sidekick user base is brainwashed.
    There is a reason that there is all this chanting that "It's not possilbe." Why you ask? Because it is not possible.

The bottom line is there is something in that device that tells it to use a Danger server. And that setting could be changed to another server. And the software on the Sidekick itself could possibly be changed to different software that doesn't even require an extra server. Google's Android (Linux based) comes to mind. If someone were to flash Android onto the Sidekick, it would no longer require Danger's (or anybody else's) servers. But since nobody has tried to do this yet, all the kiddies think it's impossible and flame anyone who even suggests it.
    How exactly do you plan on getting into the settings? Do you think that it hasn't been tried before? You make it sound like it is so easy to get in there and just change these settings, or change the software, or flash another server onto it. I don't think that most of the people on this forum would even know where to begin to do what you make sound as simple as flipping a switch.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I found this to be an interesting read:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/b...cending&page=1

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    That is because voice and SMS will work regardless on any GSM phone as long as you have a signal. Internet and MMS will not work without the proper settings entered into the phone.
    Yes, I realize that. And, again, 2 years ago all the children were saying even text messaging was not possible on the Sidekick unless you had T-Mobile. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't be able to configure a Sidekick to work on another network.

What you know is basic information that we all have covered.
    And the fact that I knew all that information only goes to show that I DID do some research. And you guys haven't covered it all anyway. There are still people on this forum saying the only way to do it is to call T-Mobile and hope they unlock it and that is flat out wrong. I did it myself, without calling anyone.

There is a reason that there is all this chanting that "It's not possilbe." Why you ask? Because it is not possible.
    It is possible. You just don't know how. News flash- you don't know everything. Just because you don't know how doesn't mean it's impossible.

How exactly do you plan on getting into the settings? Do you think that it hasn't been tried before? You make it sound like it is so easy to get in there and just change these settings, or change the software, or flash another server onto it. I don't think that most of the people on this forum would even know where to begin to do what you make sound as simple as flipping a switch.
    How do I plan on getting into the settings? By flashing an entirely new ROM running a new OS if I had to. For another perspective, from someone who REALLY knows what he is talking about and says it IS possible, see this site:
    http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~borisov/howto.txt
    It tells you how to load Linux onto your Sidekick. The guy who wrote it was later hired by Danger. I guess Danger (as it says on another page of his site that he now works for Danger so he won't be adding any new info to that site) doesn't want people out there telling everyone that it IS possible... As for the kiddies who think that it's way too difficult- my point exactly. Maybe they should be saying "it's too difficult" instead of "it's not possible" whenever someone brings it up.

I found this to be an interesting read:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/...scending&page=1
    That thread is wrong. They are clearly saying the only way to unlock it is to call T-Mobile (and hope T-Mobile will do it for you). Again, I unlocked my kids' 2 Sidekick 3's myself- without calling anyone. Even more interesting are these videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GchxgyEso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7FfaGy1wZY

No calls to T-Mobile involved.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So saltydog is in denial. thats what we have covered. We may not know everything but I sure know how a sidekick works.

I don't think this thread has any more reason to live since you obviously won't accept the fact that data doesn't work unless its a danger supported carrier.

Don't mistake this post as rude, you just don't like our answers.

Device(s)
    HTC Evo
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iWonder
    So saltydog is in denial. thats what we have covered. We may not know everything but I sure know how a sidekick works.

I don't think this thread has any more reason to live since you obviously won't accept the fact that data doesn't work unless its a danger supported carrier.

Don't mistake this post as rude, you just don't like our answers.
    I guess you didn't read my last post then with a link to the instructions to install Linux on a Sidekick (written by a guy who now works for Danger). Or maybe you just didn't understand that loading a new OS on the Sidekick DOES enable the data to work without a Danger server.

You may very well understand how a Sidekick works. I'm not disputing that. But what you don't seem to understand is that a Sidekick does not have to always work the way it does out of the box. It is absolutely possible to change the way it works.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I agree. This thread needs to be closed by a moderator. It is going nowhere quickly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast