Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BlackBerry Bold : App Error 205 : Screen of Death !

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score

BlackBerry Bold : App Error 205 : Screen of Death !

I've gone through a little freak-out tonight therefore i am going to tell my story for future reference (in case it ever happens to somebody).
    Being the Crackberry user that i am, i was playing on my bold's advanced options and specifically the Applications option and was deleting a bunch of .cods in order to free up space and make it faster than it already is. Right ?
    So far so good.
    After i'm done, obviously, hard reset (take battery out) in order to let everything reboot just fine!
    Hourglass spins ... spins .... spins .... then the infamous "App Error 205" appears on my screen ... the as you may have heard it called before "Screen of Death" is in front of me ... on my BRAND NEW 5 days old BlackBerry Bold 9000.
    This screens consists of that sentence and a "reset" button that basically just reboots the phone and brings you back to the SOD (Screen of Death).
    Now i KNOW for a fact that you have to reinstall the handheld os but on the SOD guess what ? DM (Desktop Manager) does NOT recognize the device!
    Now Guess what's even better ? I am a MAC user and RIM STILL does not want to release a DM for us Mac users.
    Therefore i NEED a Windows Machine to do it.
    Alrighty so i have my MacBook Air, install Parallels on it, let windows load.
    Now the whole time i'm doing this (half an hour) my Bold is taken appart with the battery out (BEST thing to do when you have a problem with your crackberry).
    So Windows is installing ... 30 mins remaining ...
    Oh what the hell let's see this SOD again ... hourglass is spinning ... ROGERS LOGO APPEARS .... Verifying security software .... 100% ... Contacts, PINS, Emails, everything is there! ... MY BOLD JUST CAME BACK TO THE LAND OF THE LIVING

Now i KNOW for a fact that older blackberrys WOULD NOT come back from the SOD on their own.
    I dont know if RIM implemented some kind of auto backup or something but this is what happened and believe me i am incredibly HAPPY !!

There you go guys this is my nightly "What to do in case of a SOD on the blackberry bold -> take the battery out and wait it out ! "

R.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

App Error 205

This just happened tonight to me. Pulling the battery is useless because it just starts this locked up process over again. The message, "app error 205" is written in a size 2 font. If you look carefully, in size 1 or 2 font is the option "reset". Press enter to bring your Bold back to life.

I was just sitting down for some sh*ts and giggles of reinstalling the OS and I saw the "reset" option. WTF???????
    Phones I have had.....Torch 9810, Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Nexus One, Bold 9700, Nokia E71-2, Bold 9000, BB 8110, BB 8310, BB 8300, Nokia E61i, BB 8800, Blackberry Pearl (8100), Treo 680, Treo 650, Treo 600, Audiovox SMT5600, Sierra Voq, Nokia 8390, Nokia 6820, Nokia N70, Nokia 8800, Nokia E61, QTEK 9100, (should not have bought this one!!!!).

I am addicted to smartphones. I need an intervention!

7.1.0.391-Finally have mobile hot spot. Welcome to 2010 RIMM

Feedback Score
    Easy way to fix it is right-shift-alt-del twice in succession while it's booting.. it'll boot fine then. You can fix it fast now. Just hitting reset isn't enough because when it reboots, if you noticed java lang exception errors, etc. missing icons, etc. then it's still messed.

Last night I caused it accidentally, by deleting the old gmail app after the new one had already been started or something.

Definitely going to update my device to *.134 when that's out.

Phones
    RIM 9000 Rogers
    iPhone 3GS factory unlocked
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Another Mac user, went through the same scare (as no proper software) deleting applications from advanced options, had to reset it twice and Rogers came back.

Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    In my case clicking Reset wouldnt do anything and go knows i tried a couple times.
    All it would do is restart the phone and get to the SOD again lol

Phones
    iPhone 4
    Blackberry Curve 8530 (Work)
    Novatel Ovation MC950D
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got that last night after a soft reset. Before it went white screen on me, there were about six Java errors. When it restarted it was back to the Rogers wallpaper and the home screen icons were not as I'd left them.

After another alt-shift-delete it restored to my wallpaper and my icons.

Haven't installed anything on it yet... it's factory fresh. Haven't even set up synchronizing with my PC.

Also have been getting 'voice layer not found' (or something like that) occasionally when I initiate a call.
    Phone History:

- Cantel: Motorola Pocket Classic 910, 3W installed, Nokia 2160, 5120
    - Bell: StarTac 3000e, 7868W
    - Telus: Motorola V60c, T731c
    - Rogers: Motorola V300, V551, V635, SMT5600, iPaq hw6515, BB 7290, 8700r, 8100, HTC S620, TyTN, Smartflip, S620, Motorola V3t, Nokia E62, HTC S310, S710, TyTN, HTC P3450, Dopod C730, Motorola Q9h, HTC S630, BB 8300, 8800, 8820, 8100, 7290, 8700, 7100, Treo 750, Smartflip, 9000, SE w350a, 8220, 9500, 8900, Nexus One, BB 9700, Desire Z, BB Torch

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Had similar issues after deleting WEATHER EYE. I was trying to find the cause of a memory leak. After removing WEATHER EYE, encountered all the Java errors... then the APP 205 error. Reset to missing icons. Reset again and back to normal...

Normal being ... memory leak still present ... losing approx 1 MB of application memory per half hour.

Phones
    BB Bold
    iPhone (1st Gen)
    Treo 650
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    my BBBold stopped receiving everything (emails, txt, push data...) so I resent the service books and then did a hard boot (pull the battery). Got the damn app error 205/reset error. I hit reset and it just powered down the device. I had to hard boot 3 times before it went back to normal. And it's factory fresh. No updates no 3rd party apps except for windows live and fb which is provided in the downloads folder.

Phone
    BlackBerry Bold 9780
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Mmm... Mine's only 2days old and it's happened twice. Once while I was just playing around with my phone, 2nd was just an hour or two ago when I was using the gps to get home from school.. I just let it restart itself... But is there a reason why it's doing this? I hope this doesn't keep on happening.

Feedback Score
    I'm not too worried, I figure immature OS.

If it's hardware, then it'll be class action.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5s 32gb
    Carrier
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It happened to my 1 day old Bold too, but whatever it's normal now.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Limited59
    I got that last night after a soft reset. Before it went white screen on me, there were about six Java errors. When it restarted it was back to the Rogers wallpaper and the home screen icons were not as I'd left them.

After another alt-shift-delete it restored to my wallpaper and my icons.

Haven't installed anything on it yet... it's factory fresh. Haven't even set up synchronizing with my PC.

Also have been getting 'voice layer not found' (or something like that) occasionally when I initiate a call.
    Same! Hit reset. If this does not work, alt+right shift+del works well. Forget pulling the battery.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by siopow
    Mmm... Mine's only 2days old and it's happened twice. Once while I was just playing around with my phone, 2nd was just an hour or two ago when I was using the gps to get home from school.. I just let it restart itself... But is there a reason why it's doing this? I hope this doesn't keep on happening.
    Dude, I was reading your post and then got the App Error 205. See what happens when RIM releases the Bold too soon!!!! This is like Windows Mobile.

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I am getting this error on a daily basis. Is 4.6 OS the Windows ME or Vista version of a BB operating system?

I am getting this when in an undergroud with no service. I think the OS is trying to find a 3G and wifi connection and when it can, freaks out and jams.

See what you get when you release a phone before its time.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold
    HTC TyTN II
    Motorola A1200
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I also got the error last night and also did i "Reset" to reveal 10 java errors and a messed up screen. After alt/shift/del everything was back where it should be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast