Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Purchasing T-Mobile Prepaid SIM from Ebay or Private Seller

Based on the mistake that I made in purchasing an unactivated T-Mobile SIM card which I was planning on using for T-Mobile Prepaid, I thought that I would create a thread of my experience and hopefully point potential T-Mobile prepaid customers in the correct direction if they purchase a T-Mobile Prepaid SIM from Ebay or from a private seller.

The first thing obviously when purchasing from someone is to base it on his/her reputation on how well you trust the transaction to go.

To use T-Mobile Prepaid, you will need a preactivated T-Mobile prepaid SIM or a T-Mobile prepaid activation kit (which contains the unactivated T-Mobile SIM and an activation code). If you purchase an unactivated T-Mobile SIM, you won't be able to use this for prepaid (I learnt the hard way).

The first thing that I did after I received the SIM was to insert it into my phone. The phone was authenticated on the network so the SIM appeared to be good.

I then plugged in "#999#" and it revealed that there was a balance of $0.00 on the account.

I attempted to read the phone number from the SIM card but according to my Treo 650, the phone number was not on the SIM card.

I purchased airtime from CallingMart. For roughly $90US, I received $100US worth of airtime. Since this was the first time that I was using CallingMart, my transaction did not go through immediately and someone called me to verify my information as well as to get what I consider to be marketing information from me. The call came from a blocked number so if your phone is set to not accept blocked calls, they won't be able to get through.

After she verified the information and I answered some of her marketing questions, she informed me that she would e-mail me the PIN. Since I was located in Canada, she informed me that the PIN might not work. I informed her that since I already had the T-Mobile prepaid SIM and it was working in Canada (roaming on the Rogers Canada network). A few minutes later, I received the PIN via e-mail.

I wanted to make sure that I added/entered the PIN for the proper account. I called "*TOGO" and was asked to enter the T-Mobile Prepaid number. There was a number printed on the letter that I received from the seller so I plugged in that number.

The "*TOGO" number asked me to dial "*686" if I didn't know my number. I tried this number and either because I was located in Canada and/or my balance was $0.00, the system would not give me my phone number. It said that my balance was not suffient to perform this task and asked me to add airtime and perform the command again.

I took a chance that the number printed on the letter was in fact the T-Mobile prepaid number so I called "*TOGO" again and attempted to change the PIN. I was prompted for the old PIN. Most users set the old PIN to the last 4 digits of the phone number so I tried this and luckily it worked. I then received an SMS on my phone indicated that my PIN was changed (which verified the number that I had was in fact correct for my SIM).

I added the airtime and didn't have any problems.

I then went to T-Mobile's website and created an account for myself as well as verify which prepaid plan I had. The T-Mobile system sends an SMS with your temporary passcode when you attempt to register. I entered this information from the SMS and was able to create an account on the T-Mobile website.

When doing all of this, you should make sure that you are in an area that has T-Mobile prepaid coverage (or T-Mobile prepaid roaming coverage) since their system sends a few SMS's for various tasks/commands.

I will change the area code of my prepaid SIM card before I go to the US since for the convenience of the people that I'm visiting, I want the same area code (so they don't have to pay long distance in order to call me).

I hope this information about my experience helps others. Thanks to everyone on this board (especially Telekom) for their help.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    The "*TOGO" number asked me to dial "*686" if I didn't know my number. I tried this number and either because I was located in Canada and/or my balance was $0.00, the system would not give me my phone number. It said that my balance was not suffient to perform this task and asked me to add airtime and perform the command again.
    The code to query your SIM card for the phone number is #NUM# (#686#). *686 isn't a viable option.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    The code to query your SIM card for the phone number is #NUM# (#686#). *686 isn't a viable option.
    Thanks. That worked (and worked in Canada).

I must have heard the automated lady wrong because the reception was somewhat bad where I was (and there was also a lot of construction/background noise when I was doing all of this set-up).

EDIT: I just called 1-877-778-2106 and the message is in fact to use *686
    Last edited by lmcjipo; 09-04-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG GS170
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. That worked (and worked in Canada).

I must have heard the automated lady wrong because the reception was somewhat bad where I was (and there was also a lot of construction/background noise when I was doing all of this set-up).

#686# will give you your number in the phone's display.

*686 will allow you to hear an audio message that will give you your number.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for posting that information. I did not know that.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    Thanks for posting that information. I did not know that.
    In my opinion, the method that you posted #686# is more convenient.