Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Safeway/Vons launching Wireless Program

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0

    Not everything to everyone

    I bought one and it is only what it appears to be if you buy the $40+ monthly plans. If you go by the minute/prepaid it does not include the camera/picture option. There is a service charge on top of the standard minutes allowed in that every picture you include counts as a text message and there is something like a $1.50/meg surcharge for sending pictures. I can see why they do this because they are quite generous with their minutes otherwise.

    The thing also doesn't come with a USB cable so you are going to be into for at least another $10 to find out if they have disabled the USB function so you have to use their service like Virgin Mobile does. If you go for a package, cable + software then you can add another $30 to the price.

    Kind of frosts me a bit. I mean you advertise 15˘ a minute camera phone but it is actually 15˘ a minute OR a camera phone at considerably higher cost. I expected to pay for sending pictures but with connection charges vs. the monthly fixed fee plus surcharges. I'll go ahead and buy the USB cable but I am considering not activating the phone.

    Rick

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    114
    Phones
    Vertu Ascent Ti - Blue
    Blackberry Tour
    Feedback Score
    0

    I think you may be confused

    Welcome ricortes.

    I think you may be a little confused about what the camera phone features. With the safeway phone, or any camera phone for that matter, you can take as many pictures as you want for free. Sending them to someone is something like $30 cents + data charges, which would probably be about 20 cents for that camera, not $1.50 - an 8910 certainly can't take 1 meg photos!

    The sending picture charges for this plan are very similar to Page Plus or Virgin - I am not seeing any big differences.

    The $40 plan is a night and weekend monthly plan, and it doesn't include free picture messaging if that is what you thought.

    As for a USB cable - I don't know of any companies selling $19.99 phones and including free USB cables - you are lucky you get a battery at that price! What exactly did you want to use the usb for - to get pictures off of the phone?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    I kind of wish I was confused. I thought I was confused to the point where I called there customer service and asked to make sure I was reading their web site right.

    To answer your question ~what I wanted: Cellphone with the ability to take, send, and receive pictures with a prepaid minute plan. Something I could occasionally take pictures with and send them out to family and friends. I know about per message cost and that doesn't bother me. If they would have said $3/picture off your prepaid card at least I could do it. That would be my point, I can't. I think Virgin offers this for 25˘/picture with their picture phones.

    There is no picture messaging/sending for the per minute plans period. I verified this with the CS rep. Even with one of their monthly plans there is a surcharge. IOW it would be a monthly charge of $40 plus 25˘ text charge plus ($1.50)size/1 meg for any pictures you actually sent. Isn't regular 35mm film developing only ~40˘ a picture? I mean we are talking about a Pentax or Nikon vs. no hard copy with the cell phone.

    You could go to Walgreen's and pick up a $10 Tracphone and $10 camera to get the same functionality with the USB cable included. I mean you can't take pictures or receive them with the Only 1 either. True the Audiovox is a nicer set up, but for the functionality I would like it would cost me a minimum of $480/year. I already have a camera with USB cable that I can download, print, and email pictures with.

    The per minute plan is actually a bad deal compared to other carriers when it comes to my particular usage pattern. I just gave away a Tracphone to my gf's younger brother with ~132 minutes and paid up to January. I probably use less then 20 minutes a month so the $30 top up cards build up a lot of carry over minutes after a while. I have a regular phone so I only use the cell when I am out of the house. The Only 1 plan where there are charges even if you don't use the phone and short life span for credits would add up.

    The reason I am worried is Virgin Mobile disables some of their phones functionality so you have to use Virgin for everything. I've taken some pictures with the camera already but until I or someone else verifies the Only 1 version works... It could end up just being a door stop.

    Rick

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    Took a few days but I got a USB cable with a mini CD driver disk off eBay for less then $5. I think I would rather go through root canal surgery before I have to set up another phone this difficult but after hours got Bitpim to work well enough to transfer photos via the USB cable. There may be an easier way but had to go into control panel, system, ... to set everything on the computer. Then had to get into the phone setup with ##7678<?> to switch it from serial to USB. As others have posted, the 8910 only works with file system button of Bitpim and even when it works, it still doesn't detect or ID the phone properly. I'm still using the 4400 phone settings for the file system.

    But I am kind of happy. Not a very good camera as far as picture quality goes but then you can take a lot of them and built in flash. I still may not activate the phone because of my usage: ~20 minutes a month so the 1 min a day charge more then doubles their advertized price.

    Rick

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    114
    Phones
    Vertu Ascent Ti - Blue
    Blackberry Tour
    Feedback Score
    0
    So you bought the phone as a camera? Interesting. I prefer my Cannon.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    After taking a bunch of photos I think the performance as a camera is just too low. It could be my inexperience with the camera and settings but it seems like everything from color, to resolution, to gamma, is off. It is the worst compared to the other four digital cameras I own. I even have an old $20 Jam Cam that beats the pants off it! There are several things it does well like built in flash, batteries, and storage, but the picture quality is to low to be of use. I can't even use it for something like eBay.

    Tracfone seems to have a similar phone on their web site for $39 that comes with double minutes for life and 20 minutes airtime. Right now it seems like a better deal but problems with lack of software support i.e. Bitpim barely works, and picture quality kind of scare me off. I figure the whole episode only cost me $25 so I am ahead of the game in that I will look for a better camera phone then the Audiovox Kind of like I spent $25 on a test drive that saved me money in the long run.

    Rick

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    114
    Phones
    Vertu Ascent Ti - Blue
    Blackberry Tour
    Feedback Score
    0
    It was a $19.95 refurbished camera phone with free minutes... what exactly where you expecting? Why not buy a real camera for $99.99?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezepaw
    It was a $19.95 refurbished camera phone with free minutes... what exactly where you expecting? Why not buy a real camera for $99.99?
    Have you not read the posts? You seem ignorant of what went on and what I have posted and are just making goofy statements.

    I will repeat for your benefit and please don't respond to things not said.

    #1 my first post and subsequent clarifications are that the phone/deal is not what it appears to be. Specifically it is advertised as a camera phone with 15˘/minute prepaid plan. It is neither a camera phone unless you chose a monthly plan nor a can you get 15˘/minute phone calls. You can not use the camera phone with the prepaid minutes and you can't get the prepaid minutes for 15˘/minute because you are charged for 30 minutes/month if you use the phone or not.

    #2 I already posted that I own 4 digital cameras. Why would you tell me to buy a camera unless you haven't even bothered to read my post?

    #3 I have also stated my wish to use a camera phone as a camera phone and even I don't care about cost per picture, I just wanted the ability. I even said I can take a picture with my regular camera and send it via email already so the 8910 from Safeway offers me nothing new.

    These are three really big points. You have to keep up.

    Rick

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    476
    Phones
    Centro, LG 200
    Palm Treo 650, Samsung U-340
    Razr V3m x2, Moto Krzr
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular, Tracfone for the ATT coverage
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ricortes
    Have you not read the posts? You seem ignorant of what went on and what I have posted and are just making goofy statements.

    I will repeat for your benefit and please don't respond to things not said.

    #1 my first post and subsequent clarifications are that the phone/deal is not what it appears to be. Specifically it is advertised as a camera phone with 15˘/minute prepaid plan. It is neither a camera phone unless you chose a monthly plan nor a can you get 15˘/minute phone calls. You can not use the camera phone with the prepaid minutes and you can't get the prepaid minutes for 15˘/minute because you are charged for 30 minutes/month if you use the phone or not.

    #2 I already posted that I own 4 digital cameras. Why would you tell me to buy a camera unless you haven't even bothered to read my post?

    #3 I have also stated my wish to use a camera phone as a camera phone and even I don't care about cost per picture, I just wanted the ability. I even said I can take a picture with my regular camera and send it via email already so the 8910 from Safeway offers me nothing new.

    These are three really big points. You have to keep up.

    Rick
    I guess you probably confused people because most people don't associate a camera phone to mean the provider has MMS capabilities. If the phone has a functional camera, it's a camera phone, even if the provider does not have MMS.

    Most providers charge way too much for MMS (and SMS imo). But that's a different issue.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    29
    Feedback Score
    0
    A camera phone that has no practical way to do more then take pictures w/o the ability to transfer them is only one issue.

    I'm not sure if you are familiar with the term "Bait and switch." This phone deal is pushing the limits of what you can get away with.

    For instance there just isn't anyway you can get 15˘/minute with the additional charges. That is in normal use you are required to buy $20 card monthly for 133 minutes but you lose 30 minutes a month so you actually only get 103 minutes. There is a caveat in the small print that additional charges -=MAY=- apply. May implies some doubt, there is no doubt, you get stuck with charges.

    It is obvious what they want people to do is buy the thing, find out they can't use the camera, then opt for one of their $40+/months plan. Yes, I did get a USB cable and Bitpim working but the average consumer is not going to have the resources or knowledge to do this.

    But heck, I am done with it. FedEx guy came to my door while I was writing this with my new Tracfone. If I have any new complaints I will move them to the Motorola forum! Key is new complaints as I am sure there is already a volume of complaints about the disabled USB and only partially functional Bluetooth. I probably should have got a 600 but they do have MMS available and I think I would like to try using a card reader on the SIM to see if pictures can/are stored there.

    Rick

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    476
    Phones
    Centro, LG 200
    Palm Treo 650, Samsung U-340
    Razr V3m x2, Moto Krzr
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular, Tracfone for the ATT coverage
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ricortes
    A camera phone that has no practical way to do more then take pictures w/o the ability to transfer them is only one issue.

    I'm not sure if you are familiar with the term "Bait and switch." This phone deal is pushing the limits of what you can get away with.

    For instance there just isn't anyway you can get 15˘/minute with the additional charges. That is in normal use you are required to buy $20 card monthly for 133 minutes but you lose 30 minutes a month so you actually only get 103 minutes. There is a caveat in the small print that additional charges -=MAY=- apply. May implies some doubt, there is no doubt, you get stuck with charges.

    It is obvious what they want people to do is buy the thing, find out they can't use the camera, then opt for one of their $40+/months plan. Yes, I did get a USB cable and Bitpim working but the average consumer is not going to have the resources or knowledge to do this.

    But heck, I am done with it. FedEx guy came to my door while I was writing this with my new Tracfone. If I have any new complaints I will move them to the Motorola forum! Key is new complaints as I am sure there is already a volume of complaints about the disabled USB and only partially functional Bluetooth. I probably should have got a 600 but they do have MMS available and I think I would like to try using a card reader on the SIM to see if pictures can/are stored there.

    Rick
    That's not bait and switch. I am very familiar with bait and switch (having recently been a victim of it via ATT). You may not like the fact that a camera phone means a phone that has a camera lens and the ability to take pictures ONLY, but that is what is referred to when something is called a camera phone. My kids use their camera phones all the time even though they don't have MMS capability. Their phones still have camera that take pictures that they can show their friends. They just can't send the pictures anywhere.

    I am glad you found a plan that works for you. Yes, the fees really stink, don't they? I for one would not want a plan that required a fee of $20 a month -- even tracfone is too high in the monthly costs for me. I'm glad there are lots of choices with prepay

    Peace!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    safeway

    Per minute safeway only1 phones will gain the ability to send and receive picture messages by december 1st. They will also be adding unlimited text messaging packages and lower per minute costs are coming as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks