Thread: Some tips for a friendly, healthy political discussion

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score

Some tips for a friendly, healthy political discussion

Hey everybody...this is a direct copy and paste I got from a post at another forum I go to. I think it might be helpful / applicable to the politics forum here at hofo. It's just meant to be food for thought, these aren't hard-and-fast rules, so don't get the wrong idea. It's geared toward a debate forum, which is applicable in a lot of ways to what goes on in the politics forum.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tips for debating:
    - Avoid the use of Never.
    - Avoid the use of Always.
    - Refrain from saying you are wrong.
    - You can say your idea is mistaken.
    - Don't disagree with obvious truths.
    - Attack the idea not the person.
    - Use many rather than most.
    - Avoid exaggeration.
    - Use some rather than many.
    - The use of "often" allows for exceptions.
    - The use of "generally" allows for exceptions.
    - Quote sources and numbers.
    - If it is just an opinion, admit it.
    - Do not present opinion as facts.
    - Smile when disagreeing.
    - Stress the positive.
    - You do not need to win every battle to win the war.
    - Concede minor or trivial points.
    - Avoid bickering, quarreling, and wrangling.
    - Watch your tone of voice.
    - Don't win a debate and lose a friend.
    - Keep your perspective - You're just debating.

Some comical tips on what NOT to do:
    • Turn someone's generality into an absolute. For example, if someone makes a general statement that Americans celebrate Christmas, point out that some people are Jewish and so anyone who thinks that ALL Americans celebrate Christmas is stupid. (Bonus points for accusing the person of being anti-Semitic.)

• Turn someone's factual statements into implied preferences. For example, if someone mentions that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles, accuse the person of siding with pedophiles.

• Turn factual statements into implied equivalents. For example, if someone says that Ghandi didn't eat cows, accuse the person of stupidly implying that cows deserve equal billing with Gandhi.

• Omit key words. For example, if someone says that people can't eat rocks, accuse the person of being stupid for suggesting that people can't eat. Bonus points for arguing that some people CAN eat pebbles if they try hard enough.

• Assume the dumbest interpretation. For example, if someone says that he can run a mile in 12 minutes, assume he means it happens underwater and argue that no one can hold his breath that long.

• Hallucinate entirely different points. For example, if someone says apples grow on trees, accuse him of saying snakes have arms and then point out how stupid that is.

• Use the intellectual laziness card. For example, if someone says that ice is cold, recommend that he take graduate courses in chemistry and meteorology before jumping to stupid conclusions that display a complete ignorance of the complexity of ice.

Remember, we all hold deeply rooted opinions and beliefs. so be respectful. The Golden Rule would be applicable. Don't win a debate at the cost of losing a friend!

Some other things to consider:
    - If you do not want to debate, then don't.
    - If you don't like the way a debate is going. Stop reading it. Just read the multitude of other topics on this forum.
    - Debating is the opportunity to get information on a subject in order to help form an opinion. it is, first and foremost, THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN!!
    Last edited by matt314159; 10-20-2008 at 03:38 AM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    And more things to consider..
    - Drop the labels. If you want to rip off a few names then go find a playground. Just because we believe strongly in something, it doesn't mean that we should have childish labels thrown our way because of the way we speak our mind.

(e.g cons/contards, libs/libtards, Repukes, Dummercats, Commies, babykillers, gun/Jesus freaks etc..)

We don't need these here, and I have doubts any of us regardless of political affiliation would like labels thrown our way because of our posts or way we vote.

- Don't assume or be quick to judge political affiliation based on post. You don't personally know the poster nor do you know how the poster votes. If the poster wants to reveal political affiliation then respect that decision by not resorting to labels or cheap shots.

I think we can all agree that we can have a difference of views without going low. We all come from different backgrounds and end up aligning with different political affiliations, it's inevitable that ideas clash but we don't need to sink low.

Thank you MATT for posting this up..

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00
    And more things to consider..
    - Drop the labels.
    <snip>
    - Don't assume or be quick to judge political affiliation based on post.
    <snip>
    I think we can all agree that we can have a difference of views without going low. We all come from different backgrounds and end up aligning with different political affiliations, it's inevitable that ideas clash but we don't need to sink low.

Thank you MATT for posting this up..
    Amen, and AMEN! I get so tired of the labels used by both sides of the party. I hate it when I post something that defends a McCain position, and in turn I get a response back saying "you far-right nutters alll....blah blah blah". If you want to make me look stupid, post facts that prove me wrong. Otherwise the name calling simply reflects poorly on the name-caller.

Telford/Souderton,PA to St.Petersburg/Clearwater,FL
    Device(s)
    Electric Blue Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Besides all the usual HoFo posting policies I think the most important rule is very simple:Just Respect Each Other & Their Opinions.
    A Great Commercial for a Beautiful Automobile : The Oldsmobile Aurora

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted ( Samsung Omnia: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

Im new to the politics forum and would like to thank you for this sticky. politics and religion are the 2 hardest topics I can think of to be able to debate without it becoming personal

might I suggest 1 more thing to remember when reading/replying? that is,its a forum and just a forum dont take anything, good or bad, with more than a grain of salt
    thanks again
    Last edited by MountainBikerMark; 03-16-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
    Hey everybody...this is a direct copy and paste I got from a post at another forum I go to. I think it might be helpful / applicable to the politics forum here at hofo. It's just meant to be food for thought, these aren't hard-and-fast rules, so don't get the wrong idea. It's geared toward a debate forum, which is applicable in a lot of ways to what goes on in the politics forum.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Tips for debating:
    - Avoid the use of Never.
    - Avoid the use of Always.
    - Refrain from saying you are wrong.
    - You can say your idea is mistaken.
    - Don't disagree with obvious truths.
    - Attack the idea not the person.
    - Use many rather than most.
    - Avoid exaggeration.
    - Use some rather than many.
    - The use of "often" allows for exceptions.
    - The use of "generally" allows for exceptions.
    - Quote sources and numbers.
    - If it is just an opinion, admit it.
    - Do not present opinion as facts.
    - Smile when disagreeing.
    - Stress the positive.
    - You do not need to win every battle to win the war.
    - Concede minor or trivial points.
    - Avoid bickering, quarreling, and wrangling.
    - Watch your tone of voice.
    - Don't win a debate and lose a friend.
    - Keep your perspective - You're just debating.

Some comical tips on what NOT to do:
    • Turn someone's generality into an absolute. For example, if someone makes a general statement that Americans celebrate Christmas, point out that some people are Jewish and so anyone who thinks that ALL Americans celebrate Christmas is stupid. (Bonus points for accusing the person of being anti-Semitic.)

• Turn someone's factual statements into implied preferences. For example, if someone mentions that not all Catholic priests are pedophiles, accuse the person of siding with pedophiles.

• Turn factual statements into implied equivalents. For example, if someone says that Ghandi didn't eat cows, accuse the person of stupidly implying that cows deserve equal billing with Gandhi.

• Omit key words. For example, if someone says that people can't eat rocks, accuse the person of being stupid for suggesting that people can't eat. Bonus points for arguing that some people CAN eat pebbles if they try hard enough.

• Assume the dumbest interpretation. For example, if someone says that he can run a mile in 12 minutes, assume he means it happens underwater and argue that no one can hold his breath that long.

• Hallucinate entirely different points. For example, if someone says apples grow on trees, accuse him of saying snakes have arms and then point out how stupid that is.

• Use the intellectual laziness card. For example, if someone says that ice is cold, recommend that he take graduate courses in chemistry and meteorology before jumping to stupid conclusions that display a complete ignorance of the complexity of ice.

Remember, we all hold deeply rooted opinions and beliefs. so be respectful. The Golden Rule would be applicable. Don't win a debate at the cost of losing a friend!

Some other things to consider:
    - If you do not want to debate, then don't.
    - If you don't like the way a debate is going. Stop reading it. Just read the multitude of other topics on this forum.
    - Debating is the opportunity to get information on a subject in order to help form an opinion. it is, first and foremost, THE OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN!!
    Agree I like this.

Feedback Score
    HI

you want to make me look absurd, post details that validate me wrong. Otherwise the name getting in touch with generally reveals poorly on the name-caller.political is a dirty game.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626 View Post
    Besides all the usual HoFo posting policies I think the most important rule is very simple:Just Respect Each Other & Their Opinions.
    That's really what we need for a good discussion,,,RESPECT each other opinions and everything will become alright