Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Sprint really share all towers with Verizon?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Does Sprint really share all towers with Verizon?

I have Verizon now, I am out of contract. I just talked to a Sprint rep who was at my business trying to sign people up (we get 25% off). I know that both are CDMA but the Verizon folks have told me in the past that Sprint does NOT have access to all of their towers, so the Verizon signal is better than Sprint. Sprint claims that they DO have access to all Verizon towers, so the signals are identical.

Which is true? Or is it somewhere in between? I assume this has probably been asked and answered many times in the past so I apologize for asking again.

Thanks..

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Sprint simply has a roaming agreement with Verizon, which means that when your phone loses the Sprint signal completely, it will roam on the Verizon Wireless network. Keep in mind that Mobile to Mobile minutes do not apply while roaming, your data while roaming on Verizon will be 1x only, and you can only use a certain amount of minutes/data while roaming each month. Also, if there is still a trace of Sprint signal (even if it's unusable) your phone will not switch over to a roaming network.

So bottom line is that obviously Sprint's network is what your phone is going to use first, when you completely leave the Sprint coverage area, your phone will use roaming networks, of which Verizon is one of them.

Phone
    The MAXXXXXXX
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Carrier Piegoen
    Feedback Score
    And it is important to note that you can roam on not only Verizon but nearly all US CDMA carriers which gives you a very large foot print; much larger than other carriers that limit roaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094
    Sprint simply has a roaming agreement with Verizon, which means that when your phone loses the Sprint signal completely, it will roam on the Verizon Wireless network. Keep in mind that Mobile to Mobile minutes do not apply while roaming, your data while roaming on Verizon will be 1x only, and you can only use a certain amount of minutes/data while roaming each month. Also, if there is still a trace of Sprint signal (even if it's unusable) your phone will not switch over to a roaming network.

So bottom line is that obviously Sprint's network is what your phone is going to use first, when you completely leave the Sprint coverage area, your phone will use roaming networks, of which Verizon is one of them.

Phone
    LG G3 32GB M-Black
    Carrier
    AT&T 4G LTE
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There are many areas where Verizon Wireless is nowhere near the top of the PRL (preferred roaming list) like others have suggested.

That means that you won't necessarily utilize the Verizon network when the Sprint network is unavailable.

Phone
    LG Optimus G
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sprint tends to favor these carriers in order:

1) Alltel
    2) Verizon
    3) US Cellular

Of course this varies by region and there are other roaming partners as well.
    Sprint user since 1997

Phones
    Casio G'zOne Boulder in Orange with front speaker on The Network baby!
    Apple iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray on AT&T
    Sony Ericsson w810i on T-Mobile
    Carriers
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    When you watch something you LOVE so much die such a painful death, it makes moving on IMPOSSIBLE.
    Feedback Score
    Don't switch simply because of that (which is only partially true because of roaming). It's NEVER as seamless of an experience while roaming!
    I am looking to take over a former *Centennial Wireless* Account that was converted to *VERIZON*. Preferably one with a data card, but I won't discriminate if it's a voice plan with a dumbphone/smartphone/whatever. If it's a former Centennial Account and is now a VERIZON account, but still has the Centennial Plan on it, then I AM INTERESTED!

FINALLY reached my 6,000th post on Monday February 28th, 2011 at 2:23 A.M. EST.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094
    Also, if there is still a trace of Sprint signal (even if it's unusable) your phone will not switch over to a roaming network.
    On most Sprint phones this situation is no longer an issue as a simple switch of the roaming settings to "roaming only" stops the phone from latching onto a weak Sprint signal and forces it to look for signals from roaming partners.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Samsung Alias
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larryt510
    Sprint tends to favor these carriers in order:

1) Alltel
    2) Verizon
    3) US Cellular

Of course this varies by region and there are other roaming partners as well.
    I can confirm that, in East Tennessee, Sprint favors US Cellular over Verizon.

Phone
    Kyocera DuraMax
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    USCC is above Verizon in the PRL in all areas USCC has towers. I wish it wasn't the case as they have horrible coverage in my area even with a tower close to me. They didn't seem to care much with the new tower they put in as its range, in a rural setting, is about 2 miles.

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skippinjack
    Don't switch simply because of that (which is only partially true because of roaming). It's NEVER as seamless of an experience while roaming!

But sprint makes one great backup phone, for rural, hilly, areas where I live, as between my att phone and a sprint phone, there is virtually nowhere I can't get some kind of service. This and some data advantage is virtually the only thing keeping me with sprint, as, with sprint I have access to virtually every cdma carrier, seemless or not.

Phones
    Casio G'zOne Boulder in Orange with front speaker on The Network baby!
    Apple iPhone 5s 64GB Space Gray on AT&T
    Sony Ericsson w810i on T-Mobile
    Carriers
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    When you watch something you LOVE so much die such a painful death, it makes moving on IMPOSSIBLE.
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by plane
    But sprint makes one great backup phone, for rural, hilly, areas where I live, as between my att phone and a sprint phone, there is virtually nowhere I can't get some kind of service. This and some data advantage is virtually the only thing keeping me with sprint, as, with sprint I have access to virtually every cdma carrier, seemless or not.
    With your Centro you probably still have the option to force roam which Sprint IS taking out of all of its new phones.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Star Trek Communicator (Nokia N76 prototype)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by operasam
    On most Sprint phones this situation is no longer an issue as a simple switch of the roaming settings to "roaming only" stops the phone from latching onto a weak Sprint signal and forces it to look for signals from roaming partners.
    As Skip has already noted, Sprint is removing this "Roaming Only" option from the menus of its newer releases. Sad day for us, but a prudent business move for Sprint.
    Twitter: Captain2Phones Carriers Used: Sprint PCS, Nextel, T-Mobile, AT&T, Boost Mobile. Phone Manufacturers Used: Samsung, LG, Motorola, RIM, HTC, Sanyo, Danger, Palm, Apple.

Phones
    Treo 755p
    Ex-Amp'd Fire Razr V3mm
    Nokia 2126i, Moto W370, LG 3280
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by metallicpoet
    I can confirm that, in East Tennessee, Sprint favors US Cellular over Verizon.
    Also in Maine, and in Chicago, which is too bad, because lately my Sprint phone won't roam onto USC in the subway anymore (but it will above ground), and there's now also Verizon service in the subway, but USC is above VZW in the roaming list so I can't get it.

In a van down by the river floating wirelessly
    Phones
    Sprint Treo 700wx (Work)
    Sprint BlackBerry Curve 8330
    Sprint Novatel Merlin S720
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBill
    I have Verizon now, I am out of contract. I just talked to a Sprint rep who was at my business trying to sign people up (we get 25% off). I know that both are CDMA but the Verizon folks have told me in the past that Sprint does NOT have access to all of their towers, so the Verizon signal is better than Sprint. Sprint claims that they DO have access to all Verizon towers, so the signals are identical.

Which is true? Or is it somewhere in between? I assume this has probably been asked and answered many times in the past so I apologize for asking again.

Thanks..
    Where exactly are you located? If their is a Sprint rep at your business promoting because of a possible employer relationship with Sprint I could hope it's because of decent, good or great Sprint signal/network in your area.

Are there others you know with Sprint in the same area that can share their experiences with you?

In my opinion from what I've heard Verizon says a lot of crap that's not 100% accurate because after all "they're the most reliable".

News flash I find areas where none of the big 3 (AT&T Verizon or Sprint) are perfect. I have been advised of areas where Sprint & 3G EVDO and great, others where Verizon has 3G and Sprint doesn't then finally where AT&T is the ONLY player with 3G. Who's the most reliable now Verizon?

Every time I talk to those cocky folks in red who are snowed by their own marketing I don't agree when they say they're the most reliable. They think I'm from Mars and I tell them very politely that Sprint works better in a lot of places or AT&T has them beat. It's all about where you live, work and travel to most frequently. Whatever works in those areas is the best bet and only then "most reliable".
    The views that are expressed on this forum are mine alone and not those of my employer.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro
    Sanyo MM-9000
    Samsung Alias
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravy02
    Where exactly are you located? If their is a Sprint rep at your business promoting because of a possible employer relationship with Sprint I could hope it's because of decent, good or great Sprint signal/network in your area.

Are there others you know with Sprint in the same area that can share their experiences with you?

In my opinion from what I've heard Verizon says a lot of crap that's not 100% accurate because after all "they're the most reliable".

News flash I find areas where none of the big 3 (AT&T Verizon or Sprint) are perfect. I have been advised of areas where Sprint & 3G EVDO and great, others where Verizon has 3G and Sprint doesn't then finally where AT&T is the ONLY player with 3G. Who's the most reliable now Verizon?

Every time I talk to those cocky folks in red who are snowed by their own marketing I don't agree when they say they're the most reliable. They think I'm from Mars and I tell them very politely that Sprint works better in a lot of places or AT&T has them beat. It's all about where you live, work and travel to most frequently. Whatever works in those areas is the best bet and only then "most reliable".
    Another thing is that half of their huge red coverage map consists of roaming partners. It's kind of deceptive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast