Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57

Thread: The OFFICIAL Sony Ericsson TM506 Thread (Ask questions HERE!)

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    No, it's not an operating system. Opera Mini is just an app that can be run whenever you need it.
    Oh I see, of course, I looked at your first post on that and you mentioned "browser." I found this site, I'll look into it later. Looks like it might be free software. I'm still sort of amazed that so much of that stuff is available at no charge. Hard to see where they're making their money.

http://www.opera.com/mobile/download...ricsson/tm506/

This phone is interesting. All four directional keys (or arrow keys, I forget what they're called) are programmable, I seem to recall my other phone had two that were fixed. The contacts list is accessed by the right soft key as opposed to the left one, as on my earlier TM506 and my new Equinox. Small PITA, as soon as I get used to the right key, I'll get the Equinox going and I'll have to reprogram my brain. Oh cruel world.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Howdy all. Old pooperoo that I am, I'm still using my 2nd unbranded TM506 for web surfing. Several months back, maybe a year or so even, I clicked on a 'update SE PC suites' button before I thought better of it. Sony PC Companion was downloaded and seemed to work as well as the SE PC Suites, with a slightly different look - blue motif instead of green.

I recently bought a new low budget Windows computer - an Acer Aspire something or other with an i5 operating system. I downloaded the PC Companion software and in short order started getting blue screen. I had been having similar problems with my previous laptop but didn't connect the problem to the PC Companion software. Not sure that's what it is but I don't recall having similar problems with the older PC Suites.

I've tried downloading PC Suites w/o luck. Anyone know if, 1) I'm correct on possible problems with PC Companion and, 2) how to get a working copy of PC Suites?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
    2) how to get a working copy of PC Suites?
    What do you want to use PC Companion or PC Suites for? I ask, because there may be another way of doing that action without using that software.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I recall you mentioning that somewhere else. I don't know any other way to tether to the web than with the SE software. Is it hard to do? I also don't have any other avenue for downloading pics from my phone to my PC w/o the bulk or mass storage thingy. Unfortunately, whenever I try that on my new machine, it goes to bluescreen. Mass storage worked better with the older PC Suite, this on my previous machine which would allow mass storage from Sony Companion.

Lately I've been sending each pic to my email address but that takes a lot longer. I'd like to try downloading the old SE PC suites software but haven't had luck. Several places claim to offer it but they're mainly vehicles for dumping all sorts of advertising on you. I wasn't able to get the program unzipped or working anyway.

**EDIT**

I found this bit on the web:
    http://forums.tmonews.com/index.php?topic=8702.0

Easy way to tether Sony Ericsson TM506 with blue tooth!

go to menu > Settings> connections> Network sharing > User name (use your PC admin's name) > Password (use password of PC admin). > Workgroup (whatever your workgroup is called on PC. Usually it is just workgroup).

That's it, you'll be surfing in no time (no need to download Sony ericsson PC suite)

*EDIT 2.0*

HAH! The joke's on me. I read down and none other than jet1000 is poster # 2. I can't make it work yet. We'll see.
    Last edited by cmac2012; 10-26-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Feedback Score
    I recall you mentioning that somewhere else. I don't know any other way to tether to the web than with the SE software.
    No, it's easy. You just connect your phone via the USB cord. Then create a new Dial Up Networking connection selecting the Sony Ericsson USB as a modem. (I forgot the exact name of the modem, but you should see it in the list----the modem will only show up in the list when the phone is plugged in on USB.) The number to enter for the Dial number is *99#

It's possible that the Sony software already created a Dial Up Networking connection on your computer. If so, all you'll need to do is plug in your phone and select Connect on the connection.

As for file transfers, once the phone is plugged in, you should just be able to go into Windows Explorer and your phone should be listed as a drive. Just copy and paste the photos over to your computer like normal.

No need to use the software or go into Mass Media mode. Try that and see what you find.

Feedback Score
    I can update the plugin for USB & Bluetooth support.

Feedback Score
    2) how to get a working copy of PC Suites?
    I uploaded a couple of old versions I found of PC Suite on my computer. Maybe one of them will work for you:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5p8esj

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8bphff

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I uploaded a couple of old versions I found of PC Suite on my computer. Maybe one of them will work for you:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5p8esj

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8bphff
    I appreciate the effort but I'm having the same luck with those links as with the others I've found, that is, none. They will be happy to download various items that net them revenue but as for SE PC Suites, a workable version doesn't come through. I think Sony has managed to bury it. Got to get rid of that Norwegian name I reckon . . .

I'll keep trying your other suggestions about tethering apart from Sony PC Companion. Last night an IT prof client of mine (I'm remodeling his kitchen) did an examination of my blue screen problem and signs point to it being a problem with PC Companion.

He suggests finding a compatible Android phone and tethering with that. Research needed.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the effort but I'm having the same luck with those links as with the others I've found, that is, none. They will be happy to download various items that net them revenue but as for SE PC Suites, a workable version doesn't come through. I think Sony has managed to bury it.
    First, of all, I personally uploaded the files from my computer. I had two older versions of PC Suite on my computer that I uploaded in case they worked for you. Sony had nothing to do with burying it. They're still valid links.

As with all sendspace page you have to click the link at the bottom of the page that says,
    "Click here to start download from sendspace". You may have clicked one of the other links on the page that said "Click here to start download" which may have brought you to the page to download other promotional software.

If you click the correct link you will get the software. But please don't report the links are invalid when they are. I re-checked them both today.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've had no problem downloading Sony PC Companion from Sony's site but I can't get the PC Suites to download and install properly from those sites. Oh well.

Good news is I was abe to tether to the web with my phone using your instructions with the *99# number. With a bit more searching and patience, I managed to find the correct part of the control panel to pull it off. I then uninstalled PC Companion and my blue screen problem disappeared with it. Also uninstalled it on my older notebook and it's behaving better. I'm a bit sheepish that I needed the Sony software to connect, or thought I did anyway.

How did you discover the *99# number? I'm guessing that an Equinox, or any other T Mobile branded phone will not tether using this method, will need to be debranded that is. Maybe I can someday get the A2 uploader software to work for me. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it felt similar to my difficulties with PC Suites recently, that is, no apparent loading of the full working mechanism of the program.

All that aside, I need to deposit 18 googly-quarks of energy into your account as you are, once again, da man.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've had no problem downloading Sony PC Companion from Sony's site but I can't get the PC Suites to download and install properly from those sites.
    What does it do? You just click below where it says "Click here to start download from sendspace" and it asks you where you want to save the install file for the PC Suite. I guessed that you may have clicked onto an advertisement download link instead of the download link for the file.

Let me know if you still can't download it. I have another site I can use for downloading if need be.

I'm a bit sheepish that I needed the Sony software to connect, or thought I did anyway.
    It's not needed. The only thing the PC Suite software does is create the dial up networking connection and then activate it. It's not doing anything on its own. You usually need to install the PC Suite to begin with so that it puts the modem driver onto the computer. That you must do. However, the PC Suite is not necessary to actually connect. When you uninstalled PC Companion, obviously it left the driver if you're still able to tether.

How did you discover the *99# number? I'm guessing that an Equinox, or any other T Mobile branded phone will not tether using this method,
    I don't know about other brands of phone, but yes, the Equinox works will tether fine with the *99# method IF the modification steps in the wiki have been done to the phone. An unmodified TM-717 has a T-Mobile block installed on USB tethering that the modification removes.

As I recall, however an unmodified TM-717 will tether via bluetooth. It works the same way with dial-up networking and *99#. Except you select the Bluetooth device as the modem. I can give you more information on that if you ever need to do that. Good luck.

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ^ ^ I may try to get the A2 uploader thing working finally. I have a new machine, my previous one kept crashing, probably owing to PC Companion, and I think that caused me grief. Does the link still work?

It's not needed. The only thing the PC Suite software does is create the dial up networking connection and then activate it. It's not doing anything on its own. You usually need to install the PC Suite to begin with so that it puts the modem driver onto the computer.
    I had a feeling this is what was going on. It behaves very much like it did before but I've had a few lengthy stalling periods that had a different look and feel than with the Sony software.

Feedback Score
    ^ ^ I may try to get the A2 uploader thing working finally. I have a new machine, my previous one kept crashing, probably owing to PC Companion, and I think that caused me grief. Does the link still work?

I had a feeling this is what was going on. It behaves very much like it did before but I've had a few lengthy stalling periods that had a different look and feel than with the Sony software.
    The link in the Equinox modification wiki appears to still be active:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...x_Modification

Device(s)
    TM506
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This will be an odd question. I just returned from a week in Todos Santos, MX, about 40 miles north of Cabo on the tip of Baja. A friend has lived their for about 7 years. It's a nice town, sort of artsy, lot of ex-pats. She has a telefono phone with Movistar, the local provider. It's a cheap phone, almost dead. I have a TM506 in good shape I don't need, I'm wondering if it would work with their system. It was advertised as unlocked on ebay but I'm not too sure about that. It doesn't have the rotating T-Mobile menu but it's not the grid pattern that my current unlocked phone uses.

Movistar sells SIM cards for use in foreign phones while visiting so I'm hoping that most any SIM card phone will work there as a regular contract phone. I'm probably displaying more of my ignorance here, but oh well. I'm guessing it should be an unlocked phone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: The OFFICIAL Sony Ericsson TM506 Thread (Ask questions HERE!)

This will be an odd question. I just returned from a week in Todos Santos, MX, about 40 miles north of Cabo on the tip of Baja. A friend has lived their for about 7 years. It's a nice town, sort of artsy, lot of ex-pats. She has a telefono phone with Movistar, the local provider. It's a cheap phone, almost dead. I have a TM506 in good shape I don't need, I'm wondering if it would work with their system. It was advertised as unlocked on ebay but I'm not too sure about that. It doesn't have the rotating T-Mobile menu but it's not the grid pattern that my current unlocked phone uses.

Movistar sells SIM cards for use in foreign phones while visiting so I'm hoping that most any SIM card phone will work there as a regular contract phone. I'm probably displaying more of my ignorance here, but oh well. I'm guessing it should be an unlocked phone.
    It should work, mexico uses the same frequencies as us

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57