Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slingbox users: what data plan do you use; What is unlimited data?

Phones
    samsung i9000m
    samsung i617
    nokia 6300b
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Slingbox users: what data plan do you use; What is unlimited data?

First off, yes im a newb

But fact is everybody gotta learn

So Slingbox users what data plan do you use?
    Im not asking this to the slingbox crowd that uses it 24/7, but to the ones that use it for like 2, 3 hrs. per day for like 3 times a week

And what exactly is unlimited data, how does this apply to Slingbox?

Also hows the Mobile TV that Fido offers? Pros and Cons?

Thanks

Phones
    Sony Xperia S
    Nokia lumia 900
    samsung galaxy tab 10.1
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    $30/6GB, believe me, More than enough, even for sling. I did sling almost everyday on the bus. And I do tethering too. the bill not even over 1GB.

Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (HTC Polaris/Blackjack II: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) SP; 240x320; HTC_S710/1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

unlimited data is unlimited data transfer so you dont have to worry about your cap

if you use sling a lot them you may need it but as dude says above 6 gig is enough for him on sling

i was thinkin about doing the same

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers | Red Pocket Mobile | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Unlimited data is unlimited data (subject to fair use). It is no longer offered by Fido and people who signed up for it were allowed to keep it as long as they continued to pay for it.

I have unlimited data and I use SlingPlayer on both my laptop using a 3G PCMCIA card, my Treo 680 (which has EDGE speed and SlingPlayer is almost unusable on it due to the buffering/pauses), and my Nokia N95-4 8GB (excellent viewing).

With SlingPlayer, I'm more concerned about the internet bandwidth that I'm using from my home cable internet since it is not unlimited. I've calculated that using my phones (Treo 680 or N95-4 8GB), I can use it approximately 3 hours per day without having to cut back on what I do with my regular internet connection at home. Using my laptop since it uses more bandwidth to connect to the Slingbox (because of the laptop resolution), I am cautious about using it for more than 1.5 hours in the day.

Given that unlimited data is no longer available, if you want to do any Slingbox viewing at all, the only recommended option that I have is the $30 for 6GB option.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" LG Nexus-4

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10

Red Pocket Mobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

My Tech Blog

Phones
    Bold 9900
    Bold 9900, Bold 9000, E71-2
    6301, 6230b, V400
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo
    I've calculated that using my phones (Treo 680 or N95-4 8GB), I can use it approximately 3 hours per day without having to cut back on what I do with my regular internet connection at home. Using my laptop since it uses more bandwidth to connect to the Slingbox (because of the laptop resolution), I am cautious about using it for more than 1.5 hours in the day.
    You can probably use more if you set the transfer rate lower. You won't need to sling at full speed on a cellphone. I would say 350kbs would give you good enough quality on a phone..maybe even less.

Phones
    samsung i9000m
    samsung i617
    nokia 6300b
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    is that $30/ 6GB an promotion that only if you sign a contract with fido and get their phones, you can have?

so for example, lets say if i got an unlocked N78 right now, would i be able to sign up on that $30/ 6 GB data option? ( i am assuming my current monthly plan has not much relation towards this situation)

and what about the Mobile TV that Fido has to offer. do i have to use a phone that fido offers to use this, or from the previous example, can i just get my unlocked N78 to use their Mobile TV?

Feedback Score
    How much does a slingbox unit go for? Is it fairly easy to install?

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    You can probably use more if you set the transfer rate lower. You won't need to sling at full speed on a cellphone. I would say 350kbs would give you good enough quality on a phone..maybe even less.
    The SlingPlayer Mobile software that I have/use (PalmOS version and Symbian version), there is no way of controlling the transfer rate. Based on what I see when I use it, unlike the PC version of SlingPlayer which allows for control of the bandwidth, the mobile versions of the software seem to want to use as much bandwidth as possible.

Anyways, I feel that I have enough bandwidth to watch the programs that I want to watch on my phones and still have enough bandwidth at home to do the things that I normally do on my computer with my cable internet.

Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    for a noob here, so if i buy a slingbox, hook it up to the internet and tv, subsribe 30/6G, get a phone, then i can watch tv on the fly???

Phones
    Bold 9900
    6301, 6230b, V400
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Ahhh I though all players had the ability to control streaming speed.

For the uninitiated, here is a run down of the slingbox.

You can stream the slingbox to any device provided it has a supporting slingplayer software for it and it has internet access.

Items needed:

- Cable TV
    - Digtal Set top box (can connect just analogue coaxial depending on which slingbox model you get, but when streaming, your better off with a digital signal and guide menu)
    - Router
    - Internet Access (Latger the UPLOAD speeds the better quality)

If the slingbox is set up on coaxial analogue, then anyone can watch TV in the house but if the slingbox is set up to a digital set top box both the slingplayer and TV will be viewing the same TV channel.

Make sure you manually setup the router with use of the slingbox...do not setup through uPNP (you'll get less nat/firewall connection errors).

I know IP address change and the slingplayer needs the IP address of your ISP in order to connect to the slingbox. Here is a link that will find your IP address if it changes on you when your halfway across the world or something.

http://srs.slingmedia.com/getDeviceInfo.asp?id=<insert slingfinder ID here>

VERY IMPORTANT- your upload speed where the slingbox is located is directly related to the quality of the video. When streaming onto a laptop through the internet, anything under 512kb upload is ok..but you'll have to watch it on a small video area.

When streaming wirelessly ont he same network as the slingbox, it's amazing....95% like real TV quality, maybe better (CRT users).

The actual software for the slinbox is called Slingplayer. It's free fro PC's but if you want the mobile version, you have to pay for it.

I personally have 2 slingboxes, one feeding TV from Toronto and the other feeding from vancouver.

If you have any question, i'll answer them.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by seifer333720
    for a noob here, so if i buy a slingbox, hook it up to the internet and tv, subsribe 30/6G, get a phone, then i can watch tv on the fly???
    Yes, all you need is the Slingbox, a router, a (home) internet connection that is probably capable of at least 200kb/s upload for phone display or 400 kb/s upload for PC display, data access on your phone, and one of the supported phones (PalmOS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian). If you have an EDGE supported device or you are in an area that doesn't have 3G, you might have some buffering/pausing issues. The results on my Treo 680 were what I would classify as better than nothing. I normally set it so that it will only play the audio (no video) on my Treo 680. On my Nokia N95-4, it runs amazingly well. Picture quality if perfect for the screen size and the phone's 3G speed is enough to play the video and audio without any buffering issues. Based on what I see on my PalmOS SlingPlayer Mobile version, the minimum download speed on the phone for a decent picture/sound is around 80kb/s.

You can even use the phone to change the channels over the internet once you have your Slingbox set up correctly.

Connect it to your PVR and you can watch what you want, when you want.

Slingbox is great for travellers who want to watch what they have at home.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    When streaming wirelessly ont he same network as the slingbox, it's amazing....95% like real TV quality, maybe better (CRT users).
    I can't agree with you more.

I used to always purchase a TV tuner card for my home PC since I sometimes want to watch or listen to the television in a window while I'm working on my computer. With the Slingbox and the SlingPlayer for Windows software which is supplied free, it is almost as good as having a TV tuner on every PC I have at home. When going through your internal LAN (not going through the internet), there is absolutely no buffering/pausing at all (unless you are trying to do too much on your PC).

Phones
    Bold 9900
    6301, 6230b, V400
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I can't agree with you more.

I used to always purchase a TV tuner card for my home PC since I sometimes want to watch or listen to the television in a window while I'm working on my computer. With the Slingbox and the SlingPlayer for Windows software which is supplied free, it is almost as good as having a TV tuner on every PC I have at home. When going through your internal LAN (not going through the internet), there is absolutely no buffering/pausing at all (unless you are trying to do too much on your PC).
    Yup..and it does it wirelessy.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Yup..and it does it wirelessy.
    Not exactly via wireless since none of the various Slingboxes to my knowledge work via WiFi directly out of the box. I only have the Slingbox Classic and the Slingbox Solo and neither of these are wireless straight out of the box. You must purchase one of the wireless power adapters which are either sold by SlingMedia (the makers of the Slingbox) or a generic adapter made by another company that plugs into your AC outlet and accepts an RJ-45 network connection.

Your PC/laptop would either need a wireless card or have wireless built-in.

Your phone is of course, wireless (unless you plug it into an AC outlet to make sure that you aren't wasting your batteries).

Phones
    Bold 9900
    6301, 6230b, V400
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    Not exactly via wireless since none of the various Slingboxes to my knowledge work via WiFi directly out of the box. I only have the Slingbox Classic and the Slingbox Solo and neither of these are wireless straight out of the box. You must purchase one of the wireless power adapters which are either sold by SlingMedia (the makers of the Slingbox) or a generic adapter made by another company that plugs into your AC outlet and accepts an RJ-45 network connection.

Your PC/laptop would either need a wireless card or have wireless built-in.

Your phone is of course, wireless (unless you plug it into an AC outlet to make sure that you aren't wasting your batteries).
    Umm..yes and no.

Your right, the slingbox is not wireless out of the box.

You connect it to a wireless router instead of buying the power adaptors. Both of mine are set up that way.

And obviously to get wireless signal, your laptop/PC needs a wireless card.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast