Thread: Motorola VA76 launch

Phones
    Nokia E71-2
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I really see why their market share and company is in a nosedive. same as sony ericsson, only focusing on western europe and leaving out other markets, with most of your phones all looking the same, you cant go that far.

Phones
    SE W810i
    Moto E1 ROKR
    SE T637
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chaser_xsnes9x
    I really see why their market share and company is in a nosedive. same as sony ericsson, only focusing on western europe and leaving out other markets, with most of your phones all looking the same, you cant go that far.
    Keep in mind that it's upto the service providers in North America to choose the devices they want to promote on their networks. So theoretically, you can blame them for your lack of choices, not the manufacturers.

The service providers typically sell you the phone on a contract. Typical Joe wants a free phone. Service provider wants cheap, highest profit margin phones from manufacturer for Typical Joe. The N95 and other such phones just don't fit into that catagory.
    It's not liquid damage!?! It's ketchup damage!

Phones
    Nokia E71-2
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellun901
    Keep in mind that it's upto the service providers in North America to choose the devices they want to promote on their networks. So theoretically, you can blame them for your lack of choices, not the manufacturers.

The service providers typically sell you the phone on a contract. Typical Joe wants a free phone. Service provider wants cheap, highest profit margin phones from manufacturer for Typical Joe. The N95 and other such phones just don't fit into that catagory.
    well, they dont design handsets with anything providers want to carry (ie GPS)

Phones
    HTC Magic
    Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
    Palm Pre 2
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It appears to be solid, but that's just my IMO. However I am concerned that customers, should the phone actually be damaged physically, are going to raise QUITE a stink about it, given we would be selling this phone to those who need a very durable phone.

That's disappointing about the damaged VA76r. I hope it truly was a fluke...guess we'll find out in a month's time or so!

Phones
    Nokia E51
    Nokia 6230b
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Could you post some pictures of the broken phone if you still have it? This is really sour... I would have loved this phone for my landscape work, but now it looks like i'll be resorting to using the phone in a ziplock bag trick.

Feedback Score
    Well I'm new to the forum but I just thought I'd give my 2 cents on the VA76r.

We are trying them as a fleet replacement for about 10-15 corporate users. Our previous fleet model was the V60. The V60 was a pretty reliable and durable phone with the exception of the antenna (which was a very quick fix with correct tools and parts). Anyhow I got two to start with and have been using one for the last two weeks.

It certainly seems durable. I've intentionally dropped the unit twice from about 3' onto a thinly carpeted concrete floor with no apparent damage. I have done this because I'd like to find out about the failures now before there are a dozen of them in circulation. I haven't taken it into the shower yet but I'll probably try soon.

The linux OS seems a little slow but not unusable. The voice activated dialing and commands are also almost useful. MP3 player, camera, etc. all work as expected. The photo quality is mediocre but useful for the quick snapshots you might take. 4GB microSD works fine as does syncing with Motorola phone tools. I just wish there was some simple Tbird sync. The Mobile Master software, which might work, does not yet support the VA76r. I've not tried bluetooth yet but the a plugin USB stereo headset works OK. The amp seems a bit tinny but I need to try other headphones. I cannot really speak for fringe performance yet. The V76r, with the external antenna and also some supposed broadcast power boost features, was supposed to be much better than average but I have not been anywhere reception is supposed to be marginal.

My pet peeve so far is that the 2 main screen soft keys don't seem to be customizeable. Also the vibrate seems a bit weak.

Sorry for the rather free association review. All in all I'd say a cautious thumbs up so far. Probably going to pull the trigger on another 5 next week.

PS. There are really no accessories yet but a 4GB microSD card at FS for $30 and a Roots RPDA5 belt holster ($30 too at FS and LD), plus an Electrohome (gentec chinese import under other names) EHFSAR headset adapter and mic for $12 at LD have given me some things to play with. Oh I also picked up the "Electrohome" gentec car charger. I'm just waiting for a sale on a stereo bluetooth headset to try since the EHFSAR plus headset leads to quite a few wires and you have to leave the water resistant USB cover off then to listen.

Phones
    SE W810i
    Moto E1 ROKR
    SE T637
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WCVanHorne
    4GB microSD works fine as does syncing with Motorola phone tools.
    Okay...I gotta ask. What version of MPT are you using?

Feedback Score
    Okay...I gotta ask. What version of MPT are you using?
    What I believe to be the latest auto update: 5.10a

Phones
    SE W810i
    Moto E1 ROKR
    SE T637
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WCVanHorne
    What I believe to be the latest auto update: 5.10a
    Did it update from a version earlier than 5? Or did you have to buy MPT version 5?

Just wondering if I need to give my MPT a swift kick, or if I should just start looking for version 5.

Phones
    SE W810i
    Moto E1 ROKR
    SE T637
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Focus
    Could you post some pictures of the broken phone if you still have it? This is really sour... I would have loved this phone for my landscape work, but now it looks like i'll be resorting to using the phone in a ziplock bag trick.
    I did get some pics, so I'll post em once I have them uploaded.

Feedback Score
    Did it update from a version earlier than 5? Or did you have to buy MPT version 5?

Just wondering if I need to give my MPT a swift kick, or if I should just start looking for version 5.
    It autoupdated from 5.0.5.

Phones
    SE W810i
    Moto E1 ROKR
    SE T637
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

youcannaohazpicz

Barely a mark on it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3