Thread: Airave health risks cancer risks of having a Femtocell in house close to kids

Feedback Score

Airave health risks cancer risks of having a Femtocell in house close to kids

Ok every so often a study by x major Ivy leaque university comes out pointing out yet again the risks of cell phone radiation and brain caner. What I am curious about since its too soon to know is having an Airave in house a potential risks to small kids or even adults. But I do get concerned when I see little children and infants holding cell phones up to their ears.

Or maybe not maybe the Airave is no better or worse than a microwave or 802.11g.

Is there any data on the health risks or affects of these femtocells being in such close proximity. I know T-Mobile has a similar device which has been on the market longer.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Given that the Airave cuts the required power output of your cell phone substantially, if anything it'll decrease your theoretical risks.

Carriers
    Sprint,
    Done.
    Feedback Score
    I think the way Airave works is more of a receiver than a broadcaster.

That said, sleep next to it for a few years and report back!!

Phones
    HTC Hero
    Blackberry Tour
    Blackberry Curve (backup)
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Jesus come on.

What doesn't give you cancer nowadays.
    Sprint Service and Repair Technician
    3000 Anytime + M2M + 7pm N/W + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month

Phone: Sprint Blackberry Tour - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Blackberry 9650
    Carrier
    SERO Premium 500
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UPdownLoAD
    I think the way Airave works is more of a receiver than a broadcaster.

That said, sleep next to it for a few years and report back!!

Phone
    Sprint iPhone
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine!
    ...Or maybe not maybe the Airave is no better or worse than a microwave or 802.11g...
    The Airave transmits slightly lower power output than a 802.11x access point and on a slightly lower frequency.

Out of curiosity, do you have any cordless phones that your kids use? Not sure how much power they transmit but they could use the 900 mhz, 2.4 mhz or 5.8 mhz frequency bands.

The FTC has put the OK on walkie-talkie type devices for use by young children. They transmit up to 100mw @ 27 mhz. Over twice the power output of the Airave.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtj
    The Airave transmits slightly lower power output than a 802.11x access point and on a slightly lower frequency.

Out of curiosity, do you have any cordless phones that your kids use? Not sure how much power they transmit but they could use the 900 mhz, 2.4 mhz or 5.8 mhz frequency bands.

The FTC has put the OK on walkie-talkie type devices for use by young children. They transmit up to 100mw @ 27 mhz. Over twice the power output of the Airave.
    Very Good post and entirely correct. Power output of the various devices 100 % accurate. It would be good advice to be careful exactly where you locate the Airave. Just good common sense to NOT place it beside a baby's crib or even beside your bed.
    I recommend that it be placed above normal head height when sitting down in your home. Attempt to keep it somewhat away from where somebody sits all day or sleeps at night. Use common sense and locate it centrally but not near humans all day. Definitely not on your desk beside your body all day.

Phone
    Sprint iPhone
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    ...do you have any cordless phones that your kids use? Not sure how much power they transmit but they could use the 900 mhz, 2.4 mhz or 5.8 mhz frequency bands...
    Actually the 2.4 and 5.8 are Ghz and not Mhz bands as I originally posted.

Feedback Score
    Actually the 2.4 and 5.8 are Ghz and not Mhz bands as I originally posted.
    Yep, I missed that error. I must be getting old and not alert anymore.

Phones
    Moto Q9c
    Novatel U720
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    You also need to remember that exposure decreases with the SQUARE of the distance. Going from one foot to two feet decreases exposure to 1/4th. The difference between a phone held to the side of your head, and an Airave on the other side of the room is many orders of magnitude.

Phone
    Sprint iPhone
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I think I'd sweat a Bluetooth headphone (100mw) screwed into my ear versus an Airave (<50mw) several (or more) feet away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine!
    Is there any data on the health risks or affects of these femtocells being in such close proximity. I know T-Mobile has a similar device which has been on the market longer.
    Femtocell does have an effect on health risk -- it reduces it. by providing more power generally the amount your handset next to your head has to output is reduced considerably. It is the high output of handsets when they are in poor/marginal reception areas that is the hypothetical danger. The airave REDUCES this.