Thread: Forum Rules - Read before posting

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Forum Rules - Read before posting

While we strive to foster good discussion you must also ensure that you are mindful of the rules posted here and that you adhere to the following guidelines:

• Keep it civil. Heated discussions are inevitable with a volatile topic such as this but please try to be polite and respectful of others
    • Stay on topic
    • No flaming, trolling or personal attacks. If someone attacks you, please do not retaliate. Simply report the post and it will be dealt with accordingly
    • Do not start new threads for discussions that already exist, please use existing threads
    • Please respect the views and sensibilities of other posters. Do not refer to political persons or parties in a derogatory manner

Habitual violators of these rules will find themselves temporarily banned and subsequently blocked from the Politics forum.

Your cooperation will ensure a positive atmosphere and is appreciated.
    Last edited by matt314159; 12-01-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score

Derogatory Pet Names for Political Persons or Parties are not allowed. [UPDATED 6/6]

Guys, when it wasn't a real problem I overlooked it, but it's getting to the point where it is really starting to annoy me.

From here on out, I ask that you use respect when referring to political persons or parties.

Here's some examples of what I'm talking about.
    Not Acceptable:
    Lord Bammy
    The Messiah
    Chosen One
    Spendocrats (referring to democrats)
    Nancy Porklosi

Acceptable:
    Barack Obama
    Barack
    Obama
    President Obama

borderline...I might let it slide but will make you look like a rabid partisan and nobody will take you seriously:
    B. Hussein Obama
    libbies
    etc.

I'll modify and edit this to clear it up a little later, but i just wanted to get the word out right now while I'm thinking about it.

The motivation behind this is that I really do want to foster RESPECTFUL, meaningful discussion, and derogatory labels for people do NOT help foster that environment. In fact all it does is cause people to start getting frustrated and angry with each other, and thus becomes a hindrance. It's just not necessary.

------------------------------------
    **update** June 6, 2009
    ------------------------------------

I've been doing some thinking about the enforceability of this rule...The use of derogatory pet names is something that is almost impossible to uniformly enforce across the board, and I recognize that. There really hasn't been a punishment for this rule because it's never really bad enough to warrant a ban, and I use that as a measure of last resort anyway (as a general rule) so it ended up where I just warn and remind people over and over, and it doesn't seem to really get anywhere, so from here on out, here's what I'm going to do:

At my sole discretion, as a more firm reminder to keep it respectful, when I see the pet names being used, I'm simply going to edit your post. Your pet names will be replaced by

**Derogatory Pet Names for Political Persons or Parties are not allowed.**

as a clear reminder. Not every instance will be edited, for instance JP Whoregan mentioned "Barry" which, while not really respectful, isn't as blatantly disrespectful as "The Chosen One", etcetera. Again, it's up to my sole discretion, some of you might not like that but tough. The end goal is to keep the dialogue respectful, so the same comment made in a thread where people are joking around wouldn't cause the same problem as a comment made in, say, an abortion thread. I hope you catch my drift. It's about context, it's about tone, and I'm the sole judge.

I cleared the comments out from the old thread here to make way for new ones, I am open to suggestions and comments from the peanut gallery, but there's no guaranteeing I'll sign off on them, but I will listen.
    Last edited by matt314159; 06-06-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    JULY 3 - Merged threads together, Updated thread title