Thread: Grip tape/sticker for iPhone ?

Feedback Score

Grip tape/sticker for iPhone ?

Has anyone ever heard of a sticker/tape that you place on the back of a mobile device to make it less slippery?

I could care less about scratching the back of the iPhone since I keep it protected in my pocket, I'm not interested in drop protection, and I don't want to add any extra bulk with a case. All I really care about is making it less slippery so I don't feel like I'm going to drop it all of the time.

While I suppose an Invisishield-like skin is an option (I'm not crazy about the coated/hazy look they've given to other phones of mine), what would be perfect is some type of thin rubber sticker that I can place on the portions of the phone I touch most, so as to avoid slippage. Ideally, it would be thin, wouldn't be a dust magnet at the edges, and wouldn't be so sticky that it would be difficult to remove the phone from a pocket.

Am I alone in wanting this? Anyone heard of something like it?

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4
    Sony Ericsson w580i
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I guess just put like Hockey Tape on it or something? Maybe some duct? Or Electrical Tape?
    I really don't know lol...
    Subscribe to my YouTube Channel? Plz? Kthxbai.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/m1ndgam3z

Phones
    Apple iPhone 3G (16gig, black)
    Cingular 8525
    Sony Ericsson P910a
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The problem with tape is that its adhesive will eventually break down, and you'll be left with a sticky mess on the phone.

If you want to maximize grip, any minimal rubberized case should work fine in addition to adding drop-protection. The Incase Slider is a good rubberized minimal hard case... it isn't a lint/dust magnet, yet it provides excellent grip plus some shock protection.

Feedback Score

Phone
    ST iPhone 5 ATT ST BYOP SIM
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    I think a body skin as you mention. BSE for me.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone.

I'm going to give the product below a try first (they sell little strips) and if it doesn't work, will likely go with a BSE on the back.
    http://www.egrips.com/

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    It looks like that product hasn't changed from the original iPhone. Not sure how well the back will work and the note says the upper left front piece to be left off so as to not conflict with the proximity sensor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dequardo
    It looks like that product hasn't changed from the original iPhone. Not sure how well the back will work and the note says the upper left front piece to be left off so as to not conflict with the proximity sensor.
    I actually ordered just the strips of the material (link below). Coating the whole back of the iPhone with it seems like overkill. A couple of strips on the places I hold it most (like the side curve of the black back) might be just what I need, hopefully without looking bad.

http://www.egrips.com/product_info.p...ucts_id=910390

Phone
    Carrier
    Straight Talk MVNO
    Feedback Score
    OK. Hopefully those will be thin enough to look decent. Should be about .45mm Please let us know how they work out. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dequardo
    OK. Hopefully those will be thin enough to look decent. Should be about .45mm Please let us know how they work out. Thanks.

So I gave it a shot and while placing two stickers along the black portion of the sides definitely helped, I ended up removing them due to how they looked. Any hair or lint in pockets would get stuck to the edges of the sticker, making it somewhat unsightly.

Looks like I'll give BSE a shot.