Thread: BEFORE YOU ASK/POST: Read THIS if you are a beginner & have questions about flashing!

Phones
    Sprint Touch on Cricket with working Proxy Bypass, MMS, Java, EVDO Rev. A and GPS
    LG vx10k Voyager with DUAL NAMs on Cricket and Verizon pre-pay with WAP, MMS, and EVDO
    Samsung Alias u740 with DUAL NAMs on Cricket and Verizon pre-pay with WAP, MMS, and EVDO
    Carrier
    PWNED by the Cricket Mafia!
    Feedback Score

Question BEFORE YOU ASK/POST: Read THIS if you are a beginner & have questions about flashing!

The handsets of nearly all CDMA carriers are compatible with MetroPCS. These include those offered by Sprint, Verizon (Alltel), and Cricket, among others. Visit Wikipedia for a detailed list of CDMA carriers.

However, some handsets have firmware that is more compatible with MetroPCS's features while others are more restrictive. For example; typically, Verizon phones can be flashed to MetroPCS with WAP data working--particularly the LG series of phones and also many Samsung models as well. Verizon phones are easier to "unlock" because they share the same service programming code of six zeros. (Although some Verizon pre-paid phones have unique SPC codes.)

Handsets offered by Sprint, on the other hand, only offer voice calling and SMS text (at this time) when flashed to MetroPCS. Also, Sprint phones each have a unique SPC code that has to be deciphered from the phone before further flashing can be done. Many of the Sprint PDA's, though, CAN be fully flashed because the software on them typically permits MetroPCS's WAP protocols.

These are just general guidelines: If you really aren't sure, you will have to experiment with the risk of knowing that what you are doing is A.) More than likely ILLEGAL, and B.) That you risk permanently damaging or otherwise "bricking" the phone.
    Code Name: berry_lthird
    Quote: "Hi Aquaman!"
    Latest Exploits:
    --Brew/Clicks Confirmed Working for Verizon Samsung Handsets!

Next Hijacks: Candid photo shoot of local fast food bunny

My LG VX9900 enV to Cricket Tutorial

Thread Hijacking will NOT Be Tolerated!

Phones
    Sprint Touch on Cricket with working Proxy Bypass, MMS, Java, EVDO Rev. A and GPS
    LG vx10k Voyager with DUAL NAMs on Cricket and Verizon pre-pay with WAP, MMS, and EVDO
    Samsung Alias u740 with DUAL NAMs on Cricket and Verizon pre-pay with WAP, MMS, and EVDO
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Arrow Free Beginner's Guide to Modifying, Repairing, and "Flashing" Phones! Part I:

A great deal of questions are asked about modifying, repairing, or even "flashing" phones. While perfectly legitimate for topic of conversation, these concepts, however, may be too advanced for beginners.

Therefore, I have taken the liberty of compiling and sharing a general FAQ and How To for those members who are new and are interested in modifying, repairing, or flashing their phones.

I will continue to make additions and changes to this post as necessary. And if you feel like you have anything useful to add to this guide, please feel free and don't hesitate to share!

Enjoy!

CDMA and GSM--The General Difference:

CDMA and GSM are two different cell phone technologies that are the de facto standards chosen by wireless telephone carriers. The technical differences are too complex to discuss here; however, the basic difference is that GSM phones use Subscriber Information Modules called SIM cards, and CDMA phones use Preferred Roaming Lists called PRL files (see Glossary below). The easy way to tell the difference is that if your phone does NOT take a SIM card, then it is probably CDMA.

GSM carriers include:

--AT&T (formerly Cingular)
    --T-Mobile

CDMA carriers include:

--Verizon Wireless
    --Sprint
    --Alltel
    --Virgin Mobile
    --Cricket

Some CDMA phones have a slot that looks similar to a SIM card slot. They are either hybrid phones that use BOTH technologies, OR the slot is what is known as an R-UIM card slot. An R-UIM card is a Removable User Identity Module also goes by the name CSIM or CDMA Subscriber Identity Module.

Visit Wikipedia.org for more information on these technologies.

Glossary (in no specific order):

ESN--Short for Electronic Serial Number. A serial number unique to each phone that identifies it to a specific carrier. Some carriers will not activate the ESN of phones that are from another carrier. MetroPCS typically does not restrict activating the phones of other carriers so long as it has not been reported lost or stolen. A lost or stolen phone is "blacklisted" or flagged in the company's database, and service representatives logged-in to a network computer system can identify these phones. The ESN consists of eight hexadecimal (hex) numbers and/or ten decimal numbers.

MEID--Short for Mobile Equipment Identifier--Similar to an ESN number, except with 14 hexadecimal numbers. Newer phones use MEID numbers. MEID numbers can be converted to ESN--the resulting numbers are called a "Pseudo ESN" or p-ESN.

OTASP--Short for Over The Air Service Programming. On most CDMA phones, programming the phone can be done "over the air" by dialing a special code, usually *228 or some variation. Sometimes abbreviated as OTA.

PRL or PRL File--Short for Preferred Roaming List--A small text file containing instructions for how a phone connects to a specific network's radio towers.

WAP--Short for Wireless Application Protocol--Technically speaking, WAP is a mobile framework for data exchange. However, this term is used colloquially to mean wireless Internet access or "mobile web".

MMS--Short for Multimedia Messaging Service--Also called Picture Mail--MMS allows subscribers to send pictures, sounds, and videos to one another with the same ease as text messaging. This is not to be confused with "Picture E-Mail" or "Rich E-Mail", which is the ability to send and receive e-mail using POP or IMAP protocols that can have embedded multimedia.

Brew--Allows you to download games and other applications to your phone. Different carriers have different names for Brew, and all Brew content is proprietary and locked to a single handset.

Java--Like Brew, but non-proprietary.

Mod or Modding--Short for "modifying"--To take the default "factory" settings and features and change, adapt, modify, add to, etc., hence modify. This also includes customizing the phone and its features, such as changing ("skinning") the phone's default theme (colors, fonts, etc.) or "tweaking" the User Interface (UI, i.e., menus, icons, graphics, etc.).

Hack--To make a phone do something it wasn't originally intended to do, especially if it violates rules, company policy, and even THE LAW!

Flash or Flashing--Technically, flashing refers to the overwriting or re-writing of the phone's firmware. The firmware is software in the phone that doesn't change when you turn it off, and it cannot be deleted unless it is overwritten, hence flashed. Colloquially speaking, flashing can also loosely mean making a phone from one carrier work on another carrier.

PST--Short for Phone Service Tool or Tools--Special software used by phone manufacturers to program their phones. Be advised that such software is considered "warez" (i.e., pirated/stolen licensed software) and the acquiring and trading of such software is technically illegal in most countries. You can and will be prosecuted if caught trading warez, and it is against the rules of this website and should not be discussed in the public forums.

"Monster File"/"Monster Pack", ROM, or "Kitchen"--System software that is needed to flash a phone.

MSL/SPC--Special six-digit codes needed to access service programming features on the phone. MSL stands for Master Subsidy Lock while SPC stands for Subsidy Programming Code. Some carriers like Sprint has a unique SPC for every ESN while others like Verizon use all zeros. You may be able to ask a customer service representative to give you this number, but be advised that they may refuse you or ask you why you need it.

Service Programming Menu--A special menu typically hidden from the primary User Interface that allows for "deep programming" of a phone. Typically, a special code is needed to access the service programming menu. Access to the service programming menu can be disabled in a phone's firmware.

MDN/MIN Pair--MDN stands for Mobile Device Number, while MIN stands for Mobile Identity Number. The MDN number is your standard 10-digit phone number including the area code. The MIN number starts with your area code, but it is important to remember that it is unique to each person and can be otherwise totally different from your MDN number. In order for some phones to OTASP, they need a valid PRL and must be set-up with a valid MDN/MIN pair. You can ask a customer service representative and get your MIN number.

SID/NID Pair--Two important sets of numbers that determine what home and roaming towers your phone is allowed to connect to.

Useful Tools:

The following tools are FREE and 100% legal to use:

BitPim
    Required Skill Level: Moderate to Expert
    Description: Use BitPim to interface with your CDMA handset to send and receive files such as ringtones, pictures, graphics, etc. In some cases, BitPim can also read contacts/address books, calendars/appointments/schedules, text messages, and other personal data.
    URL: Welcome to BitPim

Audacity
    Required Skill Level: Beginner to Advanced
    Description: Use Audacity convert and trim MP3's and other audio files to ringtones.
    URL: Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Nokia Multimedia Converter 2.0
    Required Skill Level: Beginner to Moderate
    Description: A simple tool that converts any audio or videos that your computer can play to audio and videos that will play on ANY handset that supports multimedia playback. Be advised: You must first sign-up to become a member of the Nokia Forums to gain access to download the program. They will email you a serial number to unlock the program during installation.
    URL: Nokia Multimedia Converter 2.0

Super
    Required Skill Level: Moderate to Advanced
    Description: A powerful multimedia converter that can convert almost every known audio and video format to audio and videos that will play back on ANY phone that supports multimedia playback.
    URL: SUPER©

MetroPCS FAQ:

Q: What Mobile Technology Does MetroPCS Use?
    A: MetroPCS is a CDMA carrier.

Q: Can I flash my phone to MetroPCS?
    A: If your phone uses CDMA, chances are you can. MetroPCS now accepts the ESN's of certain handsets from other carriers. There are a few exceptions, however, such as if the phone is reported lost, stolen, or otherwise blacklisted. Give the phone's ESN or MEID to a customer service representative and ask if it can be activated first. MEID numbers may need to be converted first to p-ESN (see Glossary above).

Q: How can I get free games on my phone?
    A: Unless your phone supports Java, be advised that acquiring Brew games and applications without paying for them is ILLEGAL, and the process for doing so involves understanding how to manipulate the phone's file system. Find a solution at your own risk. Furthermore, Brew games and applications are encrypted and cannot be shared between handsets without illegal modifications to the files or phone.

Q: How do I get files from my computer to my phone and from my phone to my computer?
    A: Start by following the instruction guide that came with your phone. You can also visit the the support section of your carrier and also the manufacturer's website. If neither of those methods help then you may consider consulting an expert.

Q: How do I get my MSL code?
    A: MetroPCS uses a code called a Master Subsidy Lock code, which unique for every ESN. Follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...6&postcount=11

Q: My phone isn't working correctly--what can I do?
    A: Start by contacting customer service and have them reset and refresh all the services on your account. If this doesn't help, then visit the support section of MetroPCS's website.
    Last edited by L0GiC4L 3ViL; 09-16-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Arrow Free Beginner's Guide to Modifying, Repairing, and "Flashing" Phones! Part II:

The following are the basic steps to "flashing" a phone to MetroPCS. Following these steps successfully only provisions voice and text on MetroPCS's network. Depending on your phone, it may require extra steps to unlock or get WAP and MMS working.

Before you go forward, be sure to review my original post, and be clear on all the terms listed in the Glossary section.

Things You Will Need Before You Start:

--An ACTIVE MetroPCS account
    --A CDMA phone that has an ESN that MetroPCS will activate
    --A means of connecting the device to your computer
    --*The appropriate Phone Service Tools for your phone
    --A MetroPCS PRL file

If you don't have any of these things, stop now. You are not prepared. Stop now and take the time to do some research. Read my original post and learn the terms I listed in the Glossary section. *DO NOT Private Message asking me or any other members where to acquire a PST for your phone. PST software is considered warez, and trading licensed software without purchasing them is ILLEGAL. If I get PM's asking me where to get warez, I will report you to the moderators. I encourage anyone else who is similarly solicited to do the same.

As the saying goes, "Google is your friend"!

Be advised that nether the manufacturer of the phone nor your service provider intended for end users to modify the system software of their phones: If you decide to take these steps, you are violating the terms of agreement with your provider and voiding any warranties therein.

Moreover, every time you write service programming information to your phone, you risk PERMANENTLY damaging it to the point where it will no longer function whatsoever. This is called "bricking" your phone. Be prepared to accept the fact that you may need to purchase an entirely new phone to replace the one you bricked. You must be willing to accept this cold fact, because if you're not, you may as well stop right now.

Lastly, neither I nor the operators or members of this forum are responsible if you permanently damage your phone following this guide. You have been sufficiently wardened of the consequences, and continuing with the instructions herein must be done at your own risk. You are solely responsible for the results, good or bad.

Speaking from experience, everyone here who has flashed a phone before will remind you of "acceptable loss". Again, if you can't deal with these consequences, then stop now for your own good.

Steps to "Flashing" Your Phone:

Step 1.) Unlock the Phone (if necessary): You need to acquire the MSL code for your phone. If you don't know what an MSL code is, stop now and refer to the Glossary section of my original post. There are various methods of acquiring the MSL for different models of phones from different carriers. If you can't find the phone's MSL after searching this forum or Google, then STOP RIGHT NOW. I'm sorry, but you are simply NOT qualified to flash phones. Do not take this personally. Not everyone is cut-out for this sort of thing. You can take your phone to a professional or even ask one of the senior members here if they can help you. Don't be surprised, however, if you are asked to compensate them for their time: After all, they ARE providing you with their professional services.

Step 2.) Load the MetroPCS PRL file to your phone: Connect your phone to your computer and use the PST to load the MetroPCS PRL to your phone. You will need the appropriate drivers for your phone. You can search this forum or Google for a MetroPCS PRL file. Do some research to learn which PRL file will work for you. Again, if you have difficulty with this step, this is where you STOP.

Step 3.) Enter the phone's service programming menu and enter valid MDN/MIN pair: Each manufacturer has a different special code to enter the phone's service programming menus. Moreover, these codes can change depending on what carrier the phone is for. Again, you must search for the code that applies to your particular phone.

Step 4.) Attempt to OTASP: Use the code that initiates the OTASP process. Be advised that all pones don't use the same OTASP code.

If all goes well, your phone will activate via OTASP. If it fails, this doesn't mean you can't use the phone to place calls or send text! It just means that you may not be able to get all of the features (such as roaming) to work.

If you search the forums here or Google, you will more than likely find a solution that applies to your particular phone.

*FYI: You can use the same methods to flash MetroPCS phones that Cricket users do: Just use the MetroPCS provisioning settings in place of those for Cricket. If you can't find information on how to flash your phohe in the MetroPCS forums, be sure to take the time to search over in the Cricket forums as well.

I will remind you that I will NOT answer Private Messages for help in the steps above! I have to search for answers for every handset I attempt to flash, and I always accept the responsibility that I might permanently damage the handset I am attempting to flash.

With that said, caveat emptor, and good hunting. You have been lead to the water....now drink at your own risk!
    Last edited by berry_lthird; 02-14-2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added a useful FYI.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Arrow Links You Will Find Useful

*Understanding PRL Interpretations for MetroPCS--A great resource to find your SID/NID pair:

http://www.rainyday.ca/~dialtone/MetroPCS/metropcs.htm
    *Link no longer works, but I'm leaving it in case you want to view it using a site cache.

Find a MetroPCS PRL:

http://www.corolada.com/prl/

Online MEID and ESN Converter Tool:

http://www.l4digital.com/Tools/Conversion.aspx

Humpa's Site for Verizon ROM's:

http://www.humpa.com/vzw

Mark Venture's Site (Great Tutorials!):

http://mark.cdmaforums.com
    Last edited by berry_lthird; 01-20-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Link Updates

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Arrow Some Useful LG Codes

To access the service programming menu on most Verizon LG older firmwares, from the home screen, go to menu, press zero, then enter six zeros SPC. On most newer ones, from the home screen, dial ##7764726 (##program) + model number, then Talk/Send; i.e., ##program8550 then Talk/Send. Again, for Verizon models, use six zeros as the SPC. The only exception would be some Verizon pre-pay phones.

For most Sprint LG's; from the home screen, dial ##MSL# to enter service programming mode. This is for basic NAM programing. For system programming, use ##3282# (##data#).