Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Net10 Unlimited / Call waiting problem

Feedback Score

Net10 Unlimited / Call waiting problem

Does anyone here have the Net10 unlimited plan? If so, does your call waiting work? I have this plan and my call waiting does not work. 3 weeks of trouble tickets and they still cannot fix this problem. A person I spoke with, who knows cellular real well, said this might be intentional in order to save money on two circuits that are used during call waiting. Since the plan is unlimited they may be cutting back on the features. Net10 denies this and says call waiting should be there, but they cannot get it to work on my Motorola w375.

If anyone else has unlimited, please test your call waiting and post the results!

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Your phone is likely not compatible with that feature. Some are, some aren't. I do not have that model phone to check but most cell phones do not have that feature.

Feedback Score

w375 has call waiting built in handset

The w375 has call waiting in the menu under settings-> In call setup.

I have it set to on.

The call waiting did function for the person who previously had the phone. They did not have the unlimited plan, which leads me to believe that has something to do with it.

The Net10 website says the unlimited plan does include call waiting.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Since the phone evidently has the function and it is not blocked from the menu, you need to put in a trouble ticket with Net10 ASAP. I had to do so with activating international calling, they could not figure it out for months -- leading me to believe that they lost money on it and so did what they could to not give it out, that sounds like what may be happening to you (they cannot charge for two calls at the same time because of the time tracker issue on the phone, so they block attempts at activating call waiting). Likely few people with Net10 have it, period -- unlimited plan or not. BTW I finally got international calling on all of my family's Net10 phones a couple of months ago after many multiple attempts over seven or eight months, so I guess keep bugging them every week or two until you get what you need.

Feedback Score

Call waiting and other service issues with Net10.

I've already reported this to Net10. In fact, I have some of the highest people in the company working on the issue.

Basically, I'm trying to reach out to other Net10 subscribers to see if they are having these issues, in order to help them.

If others post they are having the same problems as I am, I will give the executives at Net10, and those who are working with them at AT&T, a link to this forum, so they can see how many this problem is affecting.

So, if you have unlimited, I urge you to test your call waiting feature and post here. Hopefully, you will receive some help.

Also, post any other issues here too.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    bverner you are the only user thats posted about the Unlimited plan (that I've seen)

Any chance of a mini review?

Feedback Score

Review

Off the Grid,

I really like the Net10 Service. The price is nice. The quality of service is also great. I am not particularly happy with the customer service. They are in the off shore somewhere. It is very hard to understand their English and they are not very well trained in handling problems. If you call back several times, eventually you can find someone who is better trained. I have overcome this problem. I now have a contact at the corporate office in Florida. She is VERY helpful and is working on the problems that I have. She believes that they are there because the unlimited service is NEW and her exact words were "may not be provisioned correctly" which I think is just a fancy way of saying they need to work the bugs out of this new plan.

I am very impressed with the signal. I get 3 to 4 bars in my basement. Nobody else has a signal in my basement. Verizon gets 1 bar but only near the edges of the walls. In the middle, Verizon is dead. The other carriers are signal-less in my basement. Most of the carriers do not even get a good signal on the upper floor. Now I know from speaking with Net10 and reading others reviews that Net10 uses AT&T, but from my experience, Net10 is even better that AT&T. It seems AT&T uses different networks. Like I have a friend with AT&T post-paid, and a coworker with AT&T prepaid. Even with both on the AT&T network, both pick up different towers. Also around here, AT&T recently bought out a local cellular company called Dobson. Even though Dobson is now AT&T, it seems that the former Dobson handsets stick with the Dobson towers, and the AT&T handsets stick with the AT&T towers.

Up on the hill is an AT&T tower, and down in the valley part of town is a Dobson tower. I get 5 bars up top and down below with Net10, thus I am picking up both towers. However, the AT&T handsets get a better signal on top of the hill and the former Dobson (now AT&T) handsets get a better signal down below. Also, someone told me that AT&T will only let you roam in areas where AT&T has ZERO towers. So if you are in an AT&T area and the signal is only 1 bar, you are forced on that low signal tower, even if a stronger GSM tower is right next to you. With Net 10, when I stand next to Tmobile towers, if there signal is 5 bars and the AT&T tower is 1 bar, I usually seem to get the signal from the Tmobile tower.

Yesterday, a friend and I were next to a Tmobile tower. He had 2 bars with his AT&T handset. I had 5 on my Net10 handset, leading me to believe the Net10 was picking up the Tmobile and not an AT&T. What I do know is... even though Net10 uses the AT&T network, it appears they are either picking up MORE of the AT&T towers or they are picking up Tmobile and others, because the signal is usually much better.

Now as far as the handset goes... I have the w375, which is one of the top of the line models for Net10. I am not all that excited with the handset. Don't get me wrong, it is nice. But I think Motorola makes many other handsets that are much nicer. I wish Net10 carried a handset like the Razr. I have a program called Motorola Phone Tools that allows you to import, export your contacts and calendar. For some reason, it seems to work with all Motorolas, except the w375. Also, the w375 is kind of slow. You can type faster than it can keep up with you. But basically, it's not a bad phone. I just think they could do better.

If there is anything specifically you would like to know, please ask.

Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks I appreciate the feedback and do have a couple of quick questions.

I use the PagePlus unlimited (no included text big disadvantage) and one thing that happens almost daily is I get a recording saying I have an insufficient balance even though I'm a month or so ahead. I can always hang up and redial in a sec but its a bit of a pain when it happens and I fear losing inbound calls also. So my first question is whether that type of thing has been happening for you with the Net10?

The other question since I've never used Net10 is whether there are any annoying reminder alerts from balance updates? There were some questions as to how the balance would show on the display since its unlimited also.

Thanks again.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Carrier
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    Net10 uses AT&T for most markets and they are only offering the unlimited plan on AT&T markets. However, if T-Mobile roaming is allowed for AT&T postpaid customers in your area, it would be available to you as well.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't sure if TracFone really supported call waiting as I've never tried it, but I tested it out just now. I'm on an AT&T-based TracFone (LG 600G) and call waiting works perfectly fine. All phones nowadays should support call wiating fine, it's a matter of the network.

Good luck trying to get this resolved, something is obviously not provisioned right and they're not looking in the right spot to fix it.
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Toyota | let's go places

Primary: Galaxy Note 3 and LG F6: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4 & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); Galaxy Epic: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Feedback Score

Call waiting / Message unit counting.

Island Boy -

I just received a call today and, yes, provisioning is what they said they are looking into now. They feel it might be ALL unlimited customers.

Off the Grid -

When making a call, when the other party answers, on regular prepaid it will say 1.00 minute deducted. On the unlimited, it says 0.00 minutes deducted. It's not really all that noticeable. It would be nice if it were not. Also on the front screen, it shows the date the service expires, which is just the date the unlimited plan runs out for that month, then renews. I just shut that off internally so it shows nothing.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    I think Florida Tracfone management purposely blocked call forwarding to save a buck. No major provider would accidently block it like Trac is insuinating, they would lose too much revenue out of those blocked second callers. I think there is a miscommunication between Brazil CS and Florida.

Feedback Score

Still working on this problem.

I am still working on this problem with Net10. It seems like it is some kind of software issue in the handset. They sent me an LG600G. With it the call waiting signal came through, but each time I attempted to switch to the other call, I got a message saying "call restrictions."

I have used several handsets and each one does something different. I now have a W377 and I cannot use the GSM feature codes on this handset. If I dial *31# + the 10 digit number so that my number will display on Caller ID, I get that same message stating "call restrictions."

I'm not sure if this is fixed in the software or not. I spoke with a guy at a cellular store who seemed to believe this could be removed by typing a code in the code entry mode area on the menu.

Carrier
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Who does your net 10 service go through? If no other carrier gets signal in your house but net10 does get 4 bars then there has gotta be a provider there that gets service? I didnt think net10 had their own towers?
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score

Who does Net10 go through?

Ryan M:

This is my understanding. You are correct, Net10 does not have their own towers. I have been told they use AT&T, Tmobile, and Dobson. For your primary service, they set you up on one of those 3 depending on where you are located. In my case, they stated I am on AT&T.

Now, my thinking was like yours. How is the service better when I am on AT&T. But this is the answer I received.

1) An AT&T customer is restricted to ONLY AT&T when in an AT&T service area. AT&T will ONLY roam if it is in a market where there is NO AT&T coverage. However, Net10 does not restrict their service to only AT&T in an AT&T market. So even though my phone with them is setup on AT&T, if I am next to a Tmobile tower, I will switch to that tower if there is better service. In some instances, AT&T may have zero coverage in a valley or hollow. An AT&T phone would just display no service. Net10 will switch over if there is Tmobile.

2) Net10 has roaming agreements with every cellular company, even the little guys that serve maybe only a 20 square mile area. AT&T and Tmobile don't always have agreements with smaller companies. While traveling through the mountains of Pennsylvania, both AT&T and Tmobile show no service, while the Net10 phone roams on some company called called Indigo, I believe was the name. There was also another company called IMMIX that it picked up north of Harrisburg, again in the middle of nowhere, in an area where AT&T and Tmobile have no coverage.

3) I have also noticed that AT&T has different levels of coverage. Such as AT&Ts prepaid service has a completely different coverage map than AT&Ts postpaid. Net10 picks up both the AT&T prepaid and postpaid areas.

Net10 will pick up from any tower that has GSM on it.

I had a friend who had an interesting thing happen to him. He lived out in the rural area of Pennsylvania in the Allegheny Mountains. Neither AT&T, nor Tmobile offered service there. The only GSM was Dobson Communications. He set up service with them. They only had service in some of the big towns. A mile out of town and all service was gone. Where he lived, there was no service, as Dobson had no tower, but there was a big tower about 1/8 of a mile from his house and it was cellular. After inquiring with many sources, he found out the tower was Cingular.

Even though there was a Cingular tower there, right near his house and it plain sight, Cingular could not offer him service because it was not their market. Dobson, the provider he was using, would not let him roam on that tower, because AT&T and Dobson had a non-compete clause. Thus he was stuck with no service. I told him to try a Net10 phone, and sure enough, he had service at his home and ALL 5 bars to boot. As he drove around he had 5 bars everywhere. He was picking up the Dobson and the Cingular towers and maybe others. He didn't use the Net10 because it was expensive, but he kept it in the car for emergencies and used the Dobson when he hit a service area.

Sometimes there are towers in an area, but due to regulations or non-compete clauses, they are not open to local carriers. Net10 seems to have access to them.

If anyone can add to this, or if something I said needs corrected, please correct me, but this is how I pretty much understand it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast