Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VoIP on the G1 "Not possible"?

Phone
    E61
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question VoIP on the G1 "Not possible"?

I think like most people here, I figured, VoIP was just a matter of time, Gizmo, Skype, etc would easily be able to come out with an app shortly.

My second though was - weird that TMO didn't include their flavor of VoIP service on the flagship handset. Really, leaving 1.5 mil potential customers (if handset pre-sale figs can be believed) out of one service that actually make TMO unique and cutting edge (other than a tiny 3G footprint) didn't seem to make sense.

Then I read this:

When I talked to Cole Brodman, the CTO of T-Mobile, after the event about what would stop something like Skype from designing a program that could run on the phone, negating the need for a massive voice plan, he said he had "worked with Google" to make sure Android couldn't run VOIP.

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...years-and.html

Now I am REALLY concerned. VoIP has been the killer app on my E61. If they have somehow blocked the ability on an 'open' platform, this is going to be a problem.

Phones
    HTC Diamond2, Samsung i8910/Omnia HD, iPhone 3G, Samsung i900 Omnia (given to fiance)
    Sold:Samsung i780,Dopod D810,HTC Prophet,HTC Magician
    Sold/Given/Lost:Samsung Lucido, Samsung Tocco Ultra Touch,SE G705,SE w595,some old Nokia models
    Feedback Score
    If Android developers are as determined as winmo developers then they'll find a way around this. Besides, what's the point of Android being open source if it's restricted.

Phone
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It is pretty sad, but combined with TMobile's view against it, and Google's "application kill switch", I could see VOIP not being too viable. Could it be made? Probably, but Google would just remove the program from your phone as per their own words:

"Google may discover a product that violates the developer distribution agreement ... in such an instance, Google retains the right to remotely remove those applications from your device at its sole discretion"

Feedback Score
    Sure..
    And Google can then use Remote Kill Switch... and will ask Who is the Boss ??

Quote Originally Posted by natalie1981
    If Android developers are as determined as winmo developers then they'll find a way around this. Besides, what's the point of Android being open source if it's restricted.

Phone
    E61
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would have to think Google using the "kill switch" on a VoIP app isn't very likely as the outcry would probably be a "kill switch" for the Android platform.

Since it was the CTO of T-Mobile who made the statement (and a very bold statement at that) - I wonder if they've made some sort of hardware limitation? It's a pretty brass thing for a CTO to say, even Jobs didn't address VoIP issues.

Phones
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    T-mobile G1
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    VOIP should really only have limited usage IMO. Why would any phone company want to allow VOIP that's going to directly take away from their business.

VOIP would actually = lost revenue for any phone company.

Here's the unlimited data plan...use your phone over it, spend hours on the phone and grab our cheapest minute plan.

I understand with wanting to go the cheapest route possible on something, but don't blame a phone company for not allowing something that's going to directly compete with them on their own network.

I would however agree they should prevent voip over their 3G and let people use VOIP apps over WiFi. They would probably consider that too if someone could make an app that would only run on WiFi.

Feedback Score
    My 2+ years old E61 has decent VOIP over WIFI but is crappy over GSM...

Definitely if 220 Mhz E61 can do it , so can 528 Mhz Qual comm Processor..
    Probably they removed SIP stack from Android implementation/ distribution like WM 6.0 SIP stack ( which is widely available on internet)..

But MSFT has no kill switch..

I believe , once I put future contract on G1 ( payable over 2 years), I own device. Nobody should control what I put on it or reflash it...

Quote Originally Posted by informpage
    I would have to think Google using the "kill switch" on a VoIP app isn't very likely as the outcry would probably be a "kill switch" for the Android platform.

Since it was the CTO of T-Mobile who made the statement (and a very bold statement at that) - I wonder if they've made some sort of hardware limitation? It's a pretty brass thing for a CTO to say, even Jobs didn't address VoIP issues.

Phones
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    T-mobile G1
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by libran28
    I believe , once I put future contract on G1 ( payable over 2 years), I own device. Nobody should control what I put on it or reflash it...

I agree with you totally. I do think though they should be allowed to prevent VOIP over 3G considering it directly competes with them.

Its like taking McDonalds food into a Wendy's to eat lol.

I think they should find a way to block over 3G network.

Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Why not possible ?
    Just make a software app to make VOIP call on Wi-Fi
    T-Mobile - the largest fake 4G network in Americas

HTC HD2 Speed on 3G/HSDPA

T-mobile 3G/H or Pharos 137

My broadband speed

My WM phone is the best GPS now, say good bye junk Andriod

Phone
    E61
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolPhone
    Why not possible ?
    Just make a software app to make VOIP call on Wi-Fi
    Sure, sounds simple enough!

Oh wait - the CTO of the company selling the products says "he had "worked with Google" to make sure Android couldn't run VOIP." - Oops, might not be that simple - or as 'open" as we believe.

Feedback Score
    If TMo doesnot want VOIP over 3G they should block the ports..

But interestingly Net Neutrality What Google preaches, kicks in... Then Optimum / Comcast will follow the same... No voice packets over TCP...

That kills Google's model, Yahoo Model what not...

If Nokian's bring Non butchered N/Eseries for AWS.. It is death for Android...

Quote Originally Posted by derekedw
    I agree with you totally. I do think though they should be allowed to prevent VOIP over 3G considering it directly competes with them.

Its like taking McDonalds food into a Wendy's to eat lol.

I think they should find a way to block over 3G network.

Phones
    T-Mobile G1 with Google
    MOTORAZR2 V8
    MOTORIZR Z3
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    wow this is really funny.

Do you guys realize that there is a Skype app in the marketplace already that allows for FULL VOIP calls.

Phones
    T-Mobile G1
    T-Mobile MDA
    Sidekick II
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it's funny the how everyones in "kill switch hysteria" all of a sudden, someone up there got it right, the bark is much worse than the bite. If google starts using this to dictate the things people want instead of using it to protect people then Android will die, quickly. People will switch to WinMo handsets and no one will buy the G2. They're not just gonna go around removing stuff they don't like, they have a brand to protect.

Feedback Score
    Becos One business pratice leads to another.. Apple used it for wrong purpose..

Quote Originally Posted by JoshHart
    I think it's funny the how everyones in "kill switch hysteria" all of a sudden, someone up there got it right, the bark is much worse than the bite. If google starts using this to dictate the things people want instead of using it to protect people then Android will die, quickly. People will switch to WinMo handsets and no one will buy the G2. They're not just gonna go around removing stuff they don't like, they have a brand to protect.

Phones
    T-Mobile G1
    T-Mobile MDA
    Sidekick II
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile, HTC and Google all stated that the point of the phone is to be completely open to innovation, they're not regulating the products put onto the phone, they just want to be able to save people that don't know how to save themselves. Watch the press confrence. Also, neither Tmobile, HTC or Google is Apple, thank god.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast