Thread: Over the air programming

Feedback Score

Over the air programming

Anybody out there have any knowledge on Over the Air Programming. In particular CDMA handsets. *2280x codes etc. Who uses them, who supports them. Isn't there at OTLA protocol or something? Don't remember where I thought I found that one.

Phone
    Motorola i580
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Sprint tried to program my 6185 over the air, and were unable to. CDMA supports more robust combined transmission than other technologies seem to. When I call Sprint to activate a new phone (often enough), they already know the ESN, phone model, etc. because it is sent via the network.

I wonder if they can do firmware updates to...hmm.

Brad

Phone
    Samsung ATIV S
    Carrier
    TELUS Mobility (2000-current)
    Feedback Score
    I'm taking that since Clearnet handsets are the only handsets that require this, only Clearnet/Telus handsets would work for Over the Air Programming since you'll be downloading the Telus PRL anyways. Useless to other handsets with other carriers.

Feedback Score
    Well I tried *22805 on my Bell Phone and I do get a message "Welcome to Bell Mobility's Over the Air Activation Service"

Phone
    Samsung ATIV S
    Carrier
    TELUS Mobility (2000-current)
    Feedback Score
    Perhaps CDMA carriers in Canada have this option when they dial *2280* and call into their service provider.

Phone
    Motorola i580
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Either way the number would be tailored for each network. I try it with my Sprint 6185 and it doesn't work.

Brad

Carriers
    Telus HSPA, Rogers HSPA ($50 unlimited)
    Feedback Score
    The *228XX codes are part of the IS-683A standard for over the air programming and prl updates. The number following the *228 determines which band the phone looks on. Believe it or not the Nokia is the ONLY handset which properly handles OTA, the Sanyo's, Motorola's, Audiovox's etc etc all have little quirks such as not flushing the MRU after the PRL update (MRU contains the most recently used channel number) and the Audiovox in particular will not look for the proper carrier associated with each *228 code unless you are in Analog.

Phone
    Motorola i580
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I guess the Nokia engineers did something right then.

Brad

Carriers
    Telus HSPA, Rogers HSPA ($50 unlimited)
    Feedback Score
    Yep I guess so. There is one small but totally insignificant bug in the 6185 and the way it handles the MRU but it is no big deal and will not affect anyone.

Phones
    Motorola V60t
    Nokia 8260
    Nokia 3360
    Carriers
    AT&T
    I Meant to say AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At&T is using OTA programming also now. they're not CDMA, but still. it's not working entirely well yet, but it's comming along. try it. next time you go to but a nokia 8260 or a panasonic promax, see if they program the phone. in most cases they won't. they'll just wait for the AT&T sign to show up on the screen...and *poof* your phone is ready to use. but just to make sure OTA programming went through, some dealers will short program thier phones. I do work with verizon wireless too, and the phones are OTA compatible, but for some reason, i still have to manually programs those shi*s. oh well. thats CDMA for you. i think sprintPCS is the same. to make sure OTA went through, CSAs will often make you short program the phone first.
    Was that the $39.99 or the $49.99 calling plan?
    This ain't no swamp meet. I don't care if the people down the street are giving away free sh**.

Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by j2tha0e
    At&T is using OTA programming also now. they're not CDMA, but still. it's not working entirely well yet, but it's comming along. try it. next time you go to but a nokia 8260 or a panasonic promax, see if they program the phone. in most cases they won't. they'll just wait for the AT&T sign to show up on the screen...and *poof* your phone is ready to use. but just to make sure OTA programming went through, some dealers will short program thier phones. I do work with verizon wireless too, and the phones are OTA compatible, but for some reason, i still have to manually programs those shi*s. oh well. thats CDMA for you. i think sprintPCS is the same. to make sure OTA went through, CSAs will often make you short program the phone first.
    AT&T here in the states is all OTA programed. All AT&T phones support it, even my old 2160i. All my phones have been OTA programmed (Startac, Nokia 5160, 8260, R280lx) - just call CS and tell them you need an ESN swap and to send the programming. It usually pops up in a couple of minutes. Really slick, if you ask me!