Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Device(s)
    BB Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    I just switched from Verizon. Will any of their phones work on CBW network? Just curious cause I have a Storm sitting now collecting dust.

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    To the best of my (some what) limited knowledge, I believe the answer is no. Verizon is CDMA and CBW is a GSM network, therefore no compatibility. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cxoakes
    To the best of my (some what) limited knowledge, I believe the answer is no. Verizon is CDMA and CBW is a GSM network, therefore no compatibility. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
    Correct. You can bring T-Mobile phones over and they'll work in 2G (GSM) and 3G mode. AT&T phones will also work, but only in 2G (GSM) mode.

Device(s)
    BB Curve 8330
    Carrier(s)
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    Except the fact that the Storm is a world phone and has dual capabilities. It will run CDMA and/or GSM. So if it will run GSM, will it work on CBW?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    cincinnati bell
    Feedback Score
    yes it will work, have been happily using my storm since last spirng! had a couple of kinks to fix, (the email would never come through) but i've got them straightened out, and it's the "best" phone that cincinnati bell will put service to, until the 9700!

to get the storm to work, you must first unlock it(using a unlocking service on the web, dont go to cheap but cheap enough) then in your system setting under network select gsm instead of CDMA, and your set.
    Recents:

Feedback Score

Cincinnati Bell Wireless and 3G

I wasn't fully informed when I bought an Unlocked Nokia 5800 to replace my aging Nokia 6300 on Cincinnati Bell Wireless. This thread has been particularly informative on several points. Not one to shy away from sending an e-mail, I've contacted Cincinnati Bell Wireless and am awaiting a response. Meanwhile, I've blogged about what I've learned , including links back to this useful thread!

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    The choices for getting a 3g smartphone that will work on Cincinnati Bell's frequency are getting much improved. The latest rumours include the upcoming "Google" phone(Nexus One), the upcoming Sony Ericsson Xperia X10, Htc HD2, and the Nokia N900. Now, if Cin Bell would pick up any of these is an entirely different matter. I'll just try to save and buy one unlocked.

Feedback Score
    My bout with Cincinnati Bell Wireless has advanced one more step. While I'm not hopeful of what I'll really find out, they responded:

I apologize for the inconvenience and I am happy to assist you. We do
    have 3G coverage and we offer 3G capable SIM cards. I advise that you
    get in contact with our technical support department for further
    assistance on this matter.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score

CBW Bold 9700 Update

Talked with a store employee on 12/23/09. He said the BB Bold 9700 would be available in store on 01/07/10.
    Friar

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I took advantage of the "why pay for 2" promotion that ends soon (in a week or so) and now I have free data on my new N900 with no voice plan (yet).

Indoors I always have at least 2.5G.
    On UC's campus I get 3.5G almost everywhere.
    Same story downtown, 3.5G most places (2.5 at my desk, but I'm on wifi here anyway).
    On the road I usually have 3/3.5G except in rural areas (my house).
    Fortunately, I can connect to wifi almost everywhere that I get stuck on a 2.5G signal.

Speedwise, I get 1.5mb/s to 3mb/s on the 3/3.5G. 2.5G is abysmally slow, but it's good enough for email or IMing.
    I hope that I'll be grandfathered into the free plan for life, but I doubt it.

Feedback Score

Question Google Voice setup on CBW

Has anyone succeeded at getting Google Voice setup on a CBW phone? I have talked to several CSR and none of them can get it right. I’ve read in other blogs of others success, but I can’t seem to get anyone in that organization that knows how.

Device(s)
    Nexus One (on Cincinnati Bell)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    THIS IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM ANOTHER FORUM, I HAVE NOT TRIED SETTINGS THIS UP YET SO IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK:

Cincinnati Bell users CAN get this to work. I set this up for 2 lines on my account and it works as expected after 3 hours of debugging with the technical support, so here's how from my experience:

After calling Cincinnati Bell support at 1-888-391-3925, support should be able to redirect you to Technical Support for handling forwarding your voicemail.

When talking to technical support, you need to outline that you've tried the above code (I was recommended *61*[num]#) and that, to my best understanding, the code only works when forwarding voicemail to another Cincinnati Bell mailbox.

Past that, you need to explicitly tell them you want to stop using Cincinnati Bell's voicemail, and that all voicemail will be going to Google Voice instead. They need to set up forwarding for all the services listed above:
    * Busy Call Forwarding (Busy Call Transfer)
    * No Answer Call Forwarding (No Reply Forwarding)
    * Unreachable Call Forwarding (Phone Off Forwarding)

She did understand these forwarding names and was able to turn them on 1-by-1 after some playing around. There was an issue the first time with No Answer Call Forwarding where instead of ringing the 5 times as specified, it would only ring once (far too quick to answer) so there was extensive testing to make sure each case worked.

Here are the cases that need to be tested, and how to test them:
    - This is when two people are calling the phone at the same time. The second person immediately gets a busy signal, which forwards them to voicemail. You need to use 2 phones, call with one, and then call with the other to ensure the 2nd phone goes to Google Voice.

- This is the normal forwarding to voicemail when you don't answer your phone after 4-5 rings. Test this by having your phone turned on, letting it ring until it goes to voicemail. If this is not set-up correctly, sometimes it can ring only once, or ring forever and never go to voicemail. We had both happen.

- This is when your phone is turned off. Turn your phone off and call from another phone. It may ring once and should then go straight to voicemail. Make sure its the Google voicemail and not CB's.

* 4th Case (Unknown name... Call Waiting Forwarding perhaps?)
    - There is another test case, which idk the name for, where you are on the phone, you do not answer the phone for call waiting and the person is sent to voicemail. We originally got this working and none of the other 3. Test this by talking to someone on your mobile, and calling in with a 2nd line, letting it ring through. I did not explicitly tell them to set this up either time, but it did work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cboy007
    THIS IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM ANOTHER FORUM, I HAVE NOT TRIED SETTINGS THIS UP YET SO IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK:

Cincinnati Bell users CAN get this to work. I set this up for 2 lines on my account and it works as expected after 3 hours of debugging with the technical support, so here's how from my experience:

After calling Cincinnati Bell support at 1-888-391-3925, support should be able to redirect you to Technical Support for handling forwarding your voicemail.

When talking to technical support, you need to outline that you've tried the above code (I was recommended *61*[num]#) and that, to my best understanding, the code only works when forwarding voicemail to another Cincinnati Bell mailbox.

Past that, you need to explicitly tell them you want to stop using Cincinnati Bell's voicemail, and that all voicemail will be going to Google Voice instead. They need to set up forwarding for all the services listed above:

She did understand these forwarding names and was able to turn them on 1-by-1 after some playing around. There was an issue the first time with No Answer Call Forwarding where instead of ringing the 5 times as specified, it would only ring once (far too quick to answer) so there was extensive testing to make sure each case worked.

Here are the cases that need to be tested, and how to test them:
    - This is when two people are calling the phone at the same time. The second person immediately gets a busy signal, which forwards them to voicemail. You need to use 2 phones, call with one, and then call with the other to ensure the 2nd phone goes to Google Voice.

- This is the normal forwarding to voicemail when you don't answer your phone after 4-5 rings. Test this by having your phone turned on, letting it ring until it goes to voicemail. If this is not set-up correctly, sometimes it can ring only once, or ring forever and never go to voicemail. We had both happen.

- This is when your phone is turned off. Turn your phone off and call from another phone. It may ring once and should then go straight to voicemail. Make sure its the Google voicemail and not CB's.

* 4th Case (Unknown name... Call Waiting Forwarding perhaps?)
    - There is another test case, which idk the name for, where you are on the phone, you do not answer the phone for call waiting and the person is sent to voicemail. We originally got this working and none of the other 3. Test this by talking to someone on your mobile, and calling in with a 2nd line, letting it ring through. I did not explicitly tell them to set this up either time, but it did work.

Yeah, I read that too. but had no luck getting an agent that could do it or was willing to find another one that could. I'm asking if anyone else has actually made it happen and is willing to share who they talked to to get it done.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score

BB Bold 9700 Update

Quote Originally Posted by Fly135s
    Talked with a store employee on 12/23/09. He said the BB Bold 9700 would be available in store on 01/07/10.
    I called my local CBW store this morning to check and was told the shipment of 9700s was pushed back to 01/15/10. That means probably not available until 01/16. Bummer, been waiting since October to get a 3G BB.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score

Nexus One on Cincinnati Bell 3G

I'm just posting (a year now after this thread) to thank cboy007 and pauldt for the settings they posted.

I bought a Nexus One 1/5/10 and it's working fine in both 2G and 3G, with the old (red) SIM card from my Nokia 6061.

I was a bit confused about whether I needed CB's "smartphone" plan or not; a tech who has a G1 said the $14.99 unlimited text/data option should be sufficient, and that seems to be true.

I was offered a new sim card today, but I didn't think I'd need it, and everything seems to work fine with the old one.

BTW, I've mostly been using my Nexus One via wi-fi to my wireless router, so if anyone is curious, that works well on this phone also.

I highly recommend this device. I don't think of it as a phone; it's a small computer that does all kinds of mobile networking, really. The display resolution - 800x480, matches the first EEE PC (I had one of those too), but the Nexus One is faster than my EEE PC was (if I recall, I think it was 500MHz, the N1 is 1GHz). But the N1 is easier to use otherwise, since the EEE PC's UI wasn't optimized for that size; 800x480 is small for a desktop, but big for a phone platform.

So, I see this as the future. Those of you in Cincy, this is your best 3G option, it seems to me: buy an unlocked N1, add CB's $14.99 unlimited text/data option to a basic service plan.

I wonder, by the way, if CB isn't troubled by having AT&T as their roaming partner, since AT&T uses 850/1900 for 3G. I noticed in the store that they're selling 850/1900 phones, so I wonder if the newer (blue) SIM cards are 850/1900 setups instead of 1700. I'm not a telephony wiz anymore, so I just don't know.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast