Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    jaboydjr77,

i too have the N1 on cinbell's network. it's a fantastic phone! 2G and 3G work locally very well. i'm getting 1.7 Mb downloads in my house so i'm very happy with it. the $15 unlimited data plan is definitely the way to go.

as for travel: while I have not traveled with the N1 yet, when I had the G1 I roamed on ATT's Edge network automatically. CinBell also has roaming agreements with TMO for 3G, so if you manually force your phone to roam on the TMO network you will get 3G elsewhere. don't know if roaming charges would apply to you, i'm on a nationwide plan and don't get charged extra.

Settings -> Wireless -> Mobile Networks -> Network operators -> Search Networks

"Cincinnati Bell" is local 3G coverage
    "CinBell USA" is ATT
    "Roam" is TMO

Unfortunately roaming 3G access only works where TMO has lit it up. But I verified it at the Detroit airport!

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

Enjoy the phone! I LOVE THIS THING.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo99
    CinBell also has roaming agreements with TMO for 3G, so if you manually force your phone to roam on the TMO network you will get 3G elsewhere.
    Source for this information? Everything else I have read contradicts this statement.

Device(s)
    Nexus One (on Cincinnati Bell)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    @Legoman - I've never read anything that confirms that, except I have talked to a college student who goes to Northwestern in Chicago and has Cincinnati Bell and says one day his 3g started working. So I believe what he's saying - and it's great. I can't wait until I'm able to get 3g while roaming everywhere. Now I'm going to root for T-Mobile to expand their network!

@jab - You're welcome for the settings . I ALSO HAVE A NEXUS ONE! $565 (after tax) was steep, but this phone is the way to go. Huge upgrade from G1. It's so fast and the places I get 3g on Cinci Bell make it amazing . There is DEFINITELY an issue with the Nexus's 3g though, as has been reported on Engadget, etc. Places where before I would get constant 3g on my G1, I now bounce back and forth between 3g and edge. I'm pretty sure this is completely a software issue and so should be addressed shortly .

Don't get a new SIM card. Not sure if this still applies, but when I got my G1 the new 3G SIM CARDS would NOT work. I could only get 3g with the OLD "2g" SIM cards. It's weird, but I'd recommend not upgrading your SIM card. I talked to a CBW employee once and he said they were kind of switching the people who got the 3g ones back to the 2g...it was causing issues for blackberry users or something...but also for me / 3g users, apparently. Idk.

$15 Text/Data is amazing . It's the reason I'm with CBW in the first place. Wifi on this phone is great. I agree, this is a GREAT phone. Mini computer. Faster than iPhone 3g...about on par with 3GS. I can't wait until the market EXPLODES and fills with many more useful games/apps...it's starting to pick up.

CBW is "stuck" with their 1700/2100 AWS 3g, I think. As far as I know, there's no chance of them switching to AT&T's 3g bands. And I think they have a 3g roaming agreement with T-Mobile now, as the person above said.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by legoman666
    Source for this information? Everything else I have read contradicts this statement.
    no source sorry, just speaking from experience. i got 3G access in detroit by forcing my G1 to "Roam", and noticed on TMO's 3G map they had just lit up detroit. too bad their country-wide service isn't very good yet.

as for the sim card, it's been my experience that either will work on cinbell's 3G network. i'm fairly certain mine is the 3G card now in fact.

I have not experienced an issue with the N1 switching between edge and 3G in town, except in my office. but that was also the case with the G1, i think i'm in a bad location for good 3G signal there. at home, and while commuting, it's full 3G the entire time. again, this phone is amazing, and way better than any deal with a subsidized iphone or N1 with TMO. if you're a cinbell customer and on the fence about it, JUST DO IT.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I'm roaming right now, and posting this from my N1. This is an EDGE connection; if someone has info about a manual roaming setup for Tmobile (e.g., an APN or something), I could try it this weekend, since I have no other net access from here.
    The N1 is faster than a 3Gs, from what I understand: 500 or 600MHz for the (Samsung) chip in the 3Gs, vs. 1GHz for the N1.
    I was just with my nephew who has a 3Gs; he indicated that the N1 seemed faster to him.
    And, he loved the trackball for typing (for anyone who wonders about its utility). It's becoming one of my favorite features also.

Feedback Score
    Is anybody here familiar with CBW's "200 Text n Talk" plan?
    My friend's doing it with his iPhone 3g for unlimited data/texting
    I switched to this plan (current phone: Razr V3i) and CBW person I talked to mentioned something about if I have a blackberry I have to pay an additional $15 or $20 more

I'm hoping to upgrade my phone and I was wondering if anybody knows if I will have a larger bill if I just pop in my SIM card in a blackberry?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cboy007
    THIS IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM ANOTHER FORUM, I HAVE NOT TRIED SETTINGS THIS UP YET SO IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK:

Cincinnati Bell users CAN get this to work. I set this up for 2 lines on my account and it works as expected after 3 hours of debugging with the technical support, so here's how from my experience:

After calling Cincinnati Bell support at 1-888-391-3925, support should be able to redirect you to Technical Support for handling forwarding your voicemail.

When talking to technical support, you need to outline that you've tried the above code (I was recommended *61*[num]#) and that, to my best understanding, the code only works when forwarding voicemail to another Cincinnati Bell mailbox.

Past that, you need to explicitly tell them you want to stop using Cincinnati Bell's voicemail, and that all voicemail will be going to Google Voice instead. They need to set up forwarding for all the services listed above:
    * Busy Call Forwarding (Busy Call Transfer)
    * No Answer Call Forwarding (No Reply Forwarding)
    * Unreachable Call Forwarding (Phone Off Forwarding)

She did understand these forwarding names and was able to turn them on 1-by-1 after some playing around. There was an issue the first time with No Answer Call Forwarding where instead of ringing the 5 times as specified, it would only ring once (far too quick to answer) so there was extensive testing to make sure each case worked.

Here are the cases that need to be tested, and how to test them:
    * Busy Call Forwarding (Busy Call Transfer)
    - This is when two people are calling the phone at the same time. The second person immediately gets a busy signal, which forwards them to voicemail. You need to use 2 phones, call with one, and then call with the other to ensure the 2nd phone goes to Google Voice.

* No Answer Call Forwarding (No Reply Forwarding)
    - This is the normal forwarding to voicemail when you don't answer your phone after 4-5 rings. Test this by having your phone turned on, letting it ring until it goes to voicemail. If this is not set-up correctly, sometimes it can ring only once, or ring forever and never go to voicemail. We had both happen.

* Unreachable Call Forwarding (Phone Off Forwarding)
    - This is when your phone is turned off. Turn your phone off and call from another phone. It may ring once and should then go straight to voicemail. Make sure its the Google voicemail and not CB's.

* 4th Case (Unknown name... Call Waiting Forwarding perhaps?)
    - There is another test case, which idk the name for, where you are on the phone, you do not answer the phone for call waiting and the person is sent to voicemail. We originally got this working and none of the other 3. Test this by talking to someone on your mobile, and calling in with a 2nd line, letting it ring through. I did not explicitly tell them to set this up either time, but it did work.
    Unconditional Call Forwarding
    Activate: *21*______#
    Deactivate: #21#

Busy Call Forwarding (Busy Call Transfer)
    Activate *67*_______#
    Deactivate #67#

Unreachable Call Forwarding (Phone Off Forwarding)
    Activate: *62*_____________#
    Deactivate: #62#

Call Forward No Reply (Ignore)
    Activate: *61*________#
    Deactivate: #61#

FYI - The CBWireless VMAIL access # is 513-240-0190 if you want to set it back up.

I had this setup before with my calls being forwarded to YouMail. However, unless things have changed, Cincinnati Bell will charge you .10 for each forwarded call...

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone bought or will buy the 9700. Interested if the 3G will be fast enough to justify the upgrade from the 8900?

My 8900 is slow as molasses when not on wifi.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Motorola Bag Phone; Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126x2; Blackberry 8700g; 8900; Nexus One; HTC One S; Galaxy S4 32gb; iPhone 6Plus: Carrier AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I just read Howard Chui's review of the Nexus One. He said it was a data hog- 25MB in one day on Edge! With the $15 data plan, dont you run the risk of Cincinnati Bell finding out you obviously have a smartphone. Or at the very least they are going to think you are tethering.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    cxoakes,

lol 25 MB/day is easy...i'm averaging about 100-150 MB/day with the nexus one. i like my apps. with the latest radio update, i'm now running "H", which is 3.5G, and it is slightly faster...1.7 Mbps in some areas.

fwiw, CinBell's wireless web portal already knows I have a nexus one. they have a service that queries all the IMEI numbers every 15 minutes or so, and they auto-detected what i have, even though i simply moved sim cards from my nokia to my G1 to my nexus one. no repercussions as of yet.

they also support the nexus one on their network now:

http://cincinnatibell.com/nexus_one/

also, the unlimited data plan is getting increased to $20/month by april. i just received a notice about it last week. i guess they've also seen a huge spike in the amount of smartphone users on their network.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score

BB 9700 is nice

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    Has anyone bought or will buy the 9700. Interested if the 3G will be fast enough to justify the upgrade from the 8900?

My 8900 is slow as molasses when not on wifi.

Ken
    I've got the 9700 and it is definitely worth it to have 3G over EDGE (upgraded from an 8300). I got it the first day they had it available. I probably should've waited because the price has gone down since. But I had been waiting for it since last October because my wife was getting it for me as a birthday gift.
    Friar

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Mcgoo99 That is great news, so cool they dont make you get the $30 dollar data plan. Now, if I could just save enough money to get one. I got a tm506 three weeks ago and gave the rep grief about Cincinnati Bell only having one 3g Smartphone. He said there are rumours of them getting a HTC Smartphone in March. Could it actually be the HD2? Very doubtful, but who knows.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly135s
    I've got the 9700 and it is definitely worth it to have 3G over EDGE (upgraded from an 8300). I got it the first day they had it available. I probably should've waited because the price has gone down since. But I had been waiting for it since last October because my wife was getting it for me as a birthday gift.

Thanks Fly135s,

I am in Dayton and their 3g coverage area seems limited. When outside the immediate area do you switch over to TMO 3g coverage. Would like to tether in PA to a laptop. My 8900 is dreadfully slow at that.

Did you pilot or fly on EC135s?

Ken

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ken,
    I would assume CBW has a roaming agreement with TMO for 3G but I haven't asked the question. Two things make me wonder though. Two weeks ago we drove to Chicago. I got good 3G around Indianapolis but had a lot of difficulty in downtown Chicago. I am assuming the tall buildings and whatnot were the culprit in Chicago because of the frequencies used for 3G. Both areas have TMO 3G.

As far as flying, yes I was a pilot and I flew EC-135s and KC-135s at Grissom AFB, IN, KC-135s at Grand Forks AFB, ND, and T-37s at Vance AFB, OK. Retired almost 3 years ago.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Fly135s,

I checked out a 9700 at CBW. Liked the track pad and did load pages faster, although it drop to EDGE once. Maybe the building, since my 8900 had low bars. Waiting for the webkit browser and flash. If they don't seem imminent, I will have to make a move. Haven't had the 8900 all that long. 7 months, maybe eight.

I have been retired 15 with 24 active. Flew a little on EC135s, but was mainly the Maintenance Supt for the Shops that maintained the equipment we used onboard to track, record,and relay telemetry data during various missions. The other half of my Branch flew on the EC135s and operated the onboard telemetry equipment. Program was called ARIA. Advanced Range Instrumentation Aircraft. Now defunct due to all the GPS up there.

Ken

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast