Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    cxoakes, CB is coming out with a 3G smartphone, android-based (so not HD2). it's being called the "blaze"...IMO it could be the HTC Desire, the Nexus One's non-Google-branded twin, maybe with the HTC senseUI...Legend would be cool too, but i'm just speculating which HTC phone it is.

Feedback Score

N1...

I am considering picking up an N1 to use with CBW, but before I drop near $600, I'd like to see one in person and get a few minutes of hands-on use.

Anyone in the Cincinnati area willing to meet up so I can see your Nexus one? I'd toss you a few bucks for your time.

ngsm13 @ gmail.com

nG

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score

CBW knows - I told them

Quote Originally Posted by cxoakes
    I just read Howard Chui's review of the Nexus One. He said it was a data hog- 25MB in one day on Edge! With the $15 data plan, dont you run the risk of Cincinnati Bell finding out you obviously have a smartphone. Or at the very least they are going to think you are tethering.
    When I was considering the Nexus One (rather impulsively, I confess), among the first things I did was to talk to a CBW salesperson in a store, who directed me to a tech support person and then to a sales manager. The tech had a G1, and told me after a long and thorough discussion that the $14.99 plan was the right one for the Nexus One.

CBW apparently defines "smartphone" for plan purposes by what access points are needed. Blackberries requires additional APs, for example. Android phones just need/use the basic AP, and therefore only the basic unlimited text/data plan.

I only had basic phone service when I got my Nexus One. I went to a store and showed them the phone when I signed up for the $14.99 plan, and gave them my IMEI at that time. That was 1/8, if I recall, the day after I got it (I ordered it the day they were announced, on 1/5, and got it on 1/7). So they've known about Nexus Ones on their network since the first week they were available.

I'm not surprised CBW now has a page specifically for this Nexus One - it's perfect for their network. I'm glad to see it, and they're probably happy that their network supports the best phone currently available (where hardware is concerned, anyway) and that it fits their business model (no contracts, etc.).

Now if they can switch 3G partners from AT&T to T-Mobile, I'll be really happy (hint, hint, CBW folks...) - if they haven't already.

I mostly connect via wifi, so my CBW usage is not so high, BTW. Besides, wifi is generally faster than 3G anyway. Once I've connected to a wifi hotspot, reconnection is automatic, so it works out nicely most places I've used it (and of course, I use it at home).

I suppose I'll be interested in tethering at some point, but not now. I think there is an additional CBW charge for it, though. Where I would use it is outside CBW's home area (around Springfield) where I only get an EDGE connection, so it's not worth the trouble right now, at least for me.
    Original Buckeye Linuxer

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngsm13
    I am considering picking up an N1 to use with CBW, but before I drop near $600, I'd like to see one in person and get a few minutes of hands-on use.

Anyone in the Cincinnati area willing to meet up so I can see your Nexus one? I'd toss you a few bucks for your time.

ngsm13 @ gmail.com

nG
    It's a LOT better in person. Go look at a Moto Droid at Best Buy, if you're not familiar with Android, otherwise, I can tell you it's simply the most attractive cellphone I've ever seen. I've shown it to iPhone owners and they're awed by the hardware. Compared to anything else, it's like comparing a Benz to a Chevy.

I don't think the price is all that high, BTW, considering that if you use it with CBW's plan, you're gonna save enough over two years to buy one or two more of them. And it's comparable in hardware terms to a netbook of about the same price.

If you really need to see one first, you maybe can't afford it, but personally, I'd consider any lesser Android phone a waste of money, if you can afford it. It's just that much better than anything else on the market right now.

IMO, the only thing missing is a HD TV/FM tuning, but A/153 (MPH - mobile ATSC) isn't ready for prime time yet anyway, and may be a market flop when it finally is ready. Samsung has a phone that's being test-marketed with OTA MDTV, but otherwise, I think the Nexus One is a better phone than that particular Samsung model.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cxoakes
    I just read Howard Chui's review of the Nexus One. He said it was a data hog- 25MB in one day on Edge! With the $15 data plan, dont you run the risk of Cincinnati Bell finding out you obviously have a smartphone. Or at the very least they are going to think you are tethering.
    BTW, cxoakes, I just read the review you mention. I find it next to worthless.

I installed an app called NetCounter from the Market, the first week I had my Nexus One. I haven't reached 1GB yet on wifi, and am at <50MB cell traffic. Admittedly, I'm not a heavy phone user and never have been, but I use it several times a day to catch up on news, etc., and occasionally even listen to Internet radio and watch full TV episodes.

I think Mr. Chui's comment about it being a data hog is more about what used to be called "cockpit error" than about the Nexus One. I think it takes some nerve to review a product intended for 3G networking in terms of 3G networking when one doesn't doesn't even have access to a 3G network. Among other things, his phone might have been "thrashing", on the edge of a 3G signal it couldn't hold, and thus incurring a lot of traffic trying and failing to get a 3G connection. If one knows one isn't going to succeed at getting a 3G connection, better to set the phone's preferences to 2G only. Lots of little things like that can add up to lots of data traffic.

And yes, like any sophisticated network platform, this phone does lots of network activity in the background, depending on what it's set up to try to do. It's a "smartphone", not a "dumbphone", and a user should understand enough of the implications of that term to assess things like this in more detail, instead of simply bashing the phone.

BTW, there's a standard widget for adjusting brightness. Works fine for me, even on the brightest days I've seen so far. When I read that comment in Nexus One reviews, it says more to me about the reviewer than it does about the Nexus One.

But here's something I've seen mentioned in very few of the reviews I've read: the noise cancellation microphone makes call quality better on this phone than on any other phone I've ever used. When I tell people I'm calling from my car, for example, they're surprised - there's very little background noise, apparently. But the person using the phone won't know that...

I could go on; the point again is that many of the reviews of the Nexus One are better left unread, unless you already have one, so you can personally do your own fact checking.

Which brings up a thought; I think both CBW and T-Mobile would be well served to buy store models of this phone for people to see, even though they can't be bought in-store. And that's not that unusual, especially for luxury items.

Device(s)
    Nexus One (on Cincinnati Bell)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I haven't thoroughly read this thread since the last time I've posted but my Nexus definitely does NOT use 25mb per day. Not sure if he was steaming YouTube for multiple hours...

I use wifi a lot but the limited browsing / mms that I do each day on Edge/3G adds up to only about 200mb per month.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    jaboydjr77:

cincinnati bell DOES support TMO 3G roaming, i've confirmed it working detroit. no extra charges on my bill either. driving to NOLA this weekend, looking forward to use the N1 for GPS nav, trapster, internet radio streaming, bluetooth, etc...all hopefully at 3G speeds

cboy007:

i *average* 150 MB/day according to cinbell's web portal. you need more apps

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ngsm13

ngsm13 @ gmail.com

nG
    Several Cincinnati Bell Wireless stores have Nexus One's in the store for display purposes. The Kenwood store is one. I believe there are a few others. Call any store and they should be able to tell you who has them.

Those stores also will configure the phone for you if necessary(program the APN's for data and MMS) if you need assistance with that as well.

Feedback Score
    well I have came across this forum before when searching for a new phone to goto cincybell. I found out that you can use an iphone on cincybell and I made the switch about 2 months ago, since my fiance is with cincybell and all my minutes were going to her.
    I loved the iphone!! but only problems were the battery life! and I was able to get use to edge, since I had a regular verizon phone. Read about the n1 and being able to use the $14.99 plan, and I was selling my iphone on craigslist, and was offered a n1 straight trade. Took the trade, iphone 3g 16gb with case for the n1, cant be more happy! Battery life is solid! Speed speed speed is excellent, 3g service is solid, call quality even better.
    Questions I have,
    I did receive the letter about my plan raising 14.99 to 19.99...well I argue that and its LOCKED in at 14.99... before though I didnt have a phone listed on my account page with cbw with the iphone, now its shows the n1? Never registered it or anything though, how did this come about?

Will my data plan jump since I have the n1? or remain? From reading this site it looks like itll stay the same.

Tethering??? I know they charge like $30/month... If I tether and use it lightly, will I be able to get bye without the charge? Apps like pda net? I have read other sites where people use data up to 6gb.

Overall the n1 is excellent on cbw

Feedback Score

montly plan?

what are you paying for plan on the n1?
    Think mine came out to be $50 w/ tax, $1200 over 2 years...but not locked in contract, after looking at the bigger picture I think I like cbw alittle more. Only paid $300 for the iphone with accessories and traded it for the n1

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    osugsxr:

we've already spoken over PM, but to answer your tethering question: i've rooted and hacked my phone, thus tethering now works, at no additional charge from cinbell. all they see is additional data usage from the phone, they have no way to track of that data is tethered or not. no worries.

that said, i only tether when i travel. i keep a dedicated zoomtown dsl connection at home (also cinbell) for faster download speeds. tho in theory i could tether exclusively and cancel internet, i prefer to have the higher speed at home. my $.02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tullnd
    Several Cincinnati Bell Wireless stores have Nexus One's in the store for display purposes. The Kenwood store is one. I believe there are a few others. Call any store and they should be able to tell you who has them.

Those stores also will configure the phone for you if necessary(program the APN's for data and MMS) if you need assistance with that as well.
    Jboyd was actually nice enough to meet up with me and allow me to get some hands on time with his Nexus one! (Thanks!). I'll be getting a family plan and my brother may still want to see one, so I'll have to call the CBW store near me to see if they have an N1 on display, thanks for the information.

Also, in reference to the data plan? I'll be getting a 5 phone family plan, and adding unlimited texting for all 5 lines for $20, then I have the option of adding unlimited mobile web for $10/line. So this mobile web would be all I need to have access on an N1 correct? If so, I'm definitely going with CBW, since we'll save a ton of money.

nG

Feedback Score
    Sounds good, I'm fine with what I pay and could possibly drop to 200 minutes,

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by osugsxr
    before though I didnt have a phone listed on my account page with cbw with the iphone, now its shows the n1? Never registered it or anything though, how did this come about?
    Very simple. The wap deck has to create a profile for your phone.

The iPhone does work, but the engineers have not created a custom profile for it. Therefore it's possible it may have issues with some data connections on certain sites, although it may not.

The update on your "My account" or "Wireless Web Portal" page is based upon the registration on the wap deck. The N1 is an approved device and they have created a specific wap deck profile for that deck(basically verified it works properly on the network). So whenever you browse with a new phone, after about 3-5 mins of data transfer the wap deck determines the device type and loads the appropriate specific profile. This also causes the identifier for your phone to appear.

As a customer, the only thing having that identifier correct does for you is help if you want to buy ringtones from Bell from their website. The format of the ringtones shown/available is based upon the identification of the phone model shown there.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    A quick update:

I drove from Cincy to NOLA and back this weekend...got 3G (and sometimes H) coverage in some of the cities along the way, including Nashville. Even automatically switched over for me, I didn't have to do anything manual with the N1's phone settings.

Check TMO's 3G coverage to see if you'll get it in areas you may be traveling to:

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast