Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Feedback Score
    Went to Columbus, had to adjust settings to roam to get on tmobiles network.

Feedback Score
    I grew too frustrated with Cincinnati Bell Wireless: "price for life" going up $10, poor phone selection, no consumer control of call forwarding for use with Google Voice. The biggest thing keeping me there was price. As of last night, I'm a T-mobile customer.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by osugsxr
    Went to Columbus, had to adjust settings to roam to get on tmobiles network.

Exactly how do you do that.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Motorola Bag Phone; Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126x2; Blackberry 8700g; 8900; Nexus One; HTC One S; Galaxy S4 32gb; iPhone 6Plus: Carrier AT&T.

Feedback Score
    trinition, as for the price for life it is what it says... I received a letter about a month after I signed up stating that data was going up $5 or so. I called in and complained about it, the rep told me that the new price wouldnt go up, and I told him well thats what I was told when I signed up with the my data plan at $14.99. He agreed that I was correct and Im going to remain at $14.99 data plan.
    Phone selection isnt the best but they're coming out with new phones, I went from the iphone 3g to the nexus one and love it, service is solid. Only paying $50/month with tax...What price does tmobile charge?

As for changing settings: settings-wireless & networks--mobile networks--network operators--- cinbell usa...
    found out that I was using tmobile by dialing 611,

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinition
    I grew too frustrated with Cincinnati Bell Wireless: "price for life" going up $10, poor phone selection, no consumer control of call forwarding for use with Google Voice. The biggest thing keeping me there was price. As of last night, I'm a T-mobile customer.
    If you were price for life, your price would not have gone up.

You can also control your call forwarding yourself if you have the feature enabled on your account. You dial certain codes to change the call forwarding.

Feedback Score
    I was able to set up a Google voice, should I use it instead of cbw voice. Also anyone know how to root the n1? Is it worth it? Typical data usage for everyone? I'm near 3gb.

Feedback Score
    I was able to set up a Google voice, should I use it instead of cbw voice. Also anyone know how to root the n1? Is it worth it? Typical data usage for everyone? I'm near 3gb.
    Please tell me how you managed this. Thnx

Feedback Score
    Was looking into Google voice and I guess I obtained an invite when I signed up for Gmail account in the n1. Rooted the phone as well on my own and it's better. Using tether currently at 4gb data

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Went roaming in St. Louis MO and was on 3g/3.5G the whole time. Was quite nice.

Feedback Score
    not much happening on this forum, just random updates....
    Anyways I recently rooted my N1, and now I can't send MMS pics or what not. Reading about it, it could be a size issue where they arent being downsized enough. I called cincybell and they told me that I should upgrade to the smartphone data plan at $29 or month....I started laughing when the rep told me this, and told him NO....

Before I rooted the phone the mms worked fine, I set everything up again as before on the network settings. Am I missing something now that Im running cyanogen rom? As for the 3g up at the top of the phone its reading H, I like the cyanogen rom, may try the desire rom still.

Anyone else with the nexus one been told they should upgrade their plan? I saw that the android blaze is out now as well, did a quick walkthrough on the plan and its at 29 plus 10 for unlimited texting. Glad that Im "locked in".... data usage is up more currently at 3.5 gb with 10 days remaining. Free tethering is nice on cyaogen, built in. If I go over 5gb any clue on what happens? Tempted to try to hit 5gb to see what they say, is 5gb the limit for unlimited?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I asked a CBW rep about data limits and they said if you have the unlimited one, then it is unlimited. It doesn't matter how much you use. But, they may be keeping you from doing MMS without that plan.

A Question:

I am wanting to get an N1. When is the best time now that the Google N1 store is closing. Get it now and it is unlocked, although I don't know if that means much to me. I will stay with CBW, been with them 11 years and don't know if rooting appeals to me. I would get Tether that has an Android Beta out now. I use the current Tether on my 8900. Not tech savvy enough to try the rooting. At least for now. I thought I would never get unofficial upgrades on my 8900 like OS 5.0, but I did that myself and was successful.

If I wait for 2.2 to come with the phones, the store may already be shut. That was my plan to buy from Google with 2.2 installed, which I think is soon to be released.

Then what will CBW do to pricing, software restrictions, etc when they carry the phones themselves. And will they offer it with 2.2. Will Google sell to them or restrict to certain carriers.

Lots of questions, I will talk to my rep as soon as I get back to store.

Any thoughts?

Ken

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by legoman666
    Went roaming in St. Louis MO and was on 3g/3.5G the whole time. Was quite nice.
    i've had 3G/H with my nexus one in seattle, salt lake city, detroit, scranton, new orleans, nashville...bunch of large cities. looking forward to TMO lighting up more of their HSDPA network!
    Nexus One
    CM 6-nightly build
    ClockworkMod recovery

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    not much happening on this forum, just random updates....
    Anyways I recently rooted my N1, and now I can't send MMS pics or what not. Reading about it, it could be a size issue where they arent being downsized enough. I called cincybell and they told me that I should upgrade to the smartphone data plan at $29 or month....I started laughing when the rep told me this, and told him NO....

Before I rooted the phone the mms worked fine, I set everything up again as before on the network settings. Am I missing something now that Im running cyanogen rom? As for the 3g up at the top of the phone its reading H, I like the cyanogen rom, may try the desire rom still.

Anyone else with the nexus one been told they should upgrade their plan? I saw that the android blaze is out now as well, did a quick walkthrough on the plan and its at 29 plus 10 for unlimited texting. Glad that Im "locked in".... data usage is up more currently at 3.5 gb with 10 days remaining. Free tethering is nice on cyaogen, built in. If I go over 5gb any clue on what happens? Tempted to try to hit 5gb to see what they say, is 5gb the limit for unlimited?
    the cyanogen ROM comes preloaded with a huge APN list for a variety of providers. unfortunately the APN listed for Cincinnati Bell is WRONG. I have tried to submit a correction to this APN list, but it hasn't been corrected yet. the packaged APN allows for SMS but not MMS.

delete your existing APN setting (notice how it's spelled 'Cincinati'?...WRONG) and install the two APNs for your WAP and MMS found here:

http://cbwportal.wdsglobal.com/wap?c...facturerId=475

FWIW, i use handsent instead of the stock messaging app, and I have my configuration set to downsize my images to 300k and have zero problems sending/receiving MMS from any other provider...sprint, verizon, att, etc. hope that helps!

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    I asked a CBW rep about data limits and they said if you have the unlimited one, then it is unlimited. It doesn't matter how much you use. But, they may be keeping you from doing MMS without that plan.

A Question:

I am wanting to get an N1. When is the best time now that the Google N1 store is closing. Get it now and it is unlocked, although I don't know if that means much to me. I will stay with CBW, been with them 11 years and don't know if rooting appeals to me. I would get Tether that has an Android Beta out now. I use the current Tether on my 8900. Not tech savvy enough to try the rooting. At least for now. I thought I would never get unofficial upgrades on my 8900 like OS 5.0, but I did that myself and was successful.

If I wait for 2.2 to come with the phones, the store may already be shut. That was my plan to buy from Google with 2.2 installed, which I think is soon to be released.

Then what will CBW do to pricing, software restrictions, etc when they carry the phones themselves. And will they offer it with 2.2. Will Google sell to them or restrict to certain carriers.

Lots of questions, I will talk to my rep as soon as I get back to store.

Any thoughts?

Ken
    IMO it's best to get a phone unlocked regardless of your intentions to root or not. This would make it easier to resell your phone to another CinBell user, or TMO, or someone overseas, etc who require a carrier-unlocked phone.

As for buy it now or later, I would opt for now. The 2.2 update is certainly coming to the N1, and the update will be made available for manual download and install. It's literally a process of downloading a zip file to your SD card, you rebooting the phone into the bootloader, and reflashing the phone, takes all of 20 minutes. Why wait for android goodness?

I'm on the unlimited data plan. CinBell also has a special where you go to the store, show them the N1, they give you $15/month off your bill...i'm not paying $60/month (after discount) for a national data plan with 400 (i think?) minutes and unlimited data. crazy good deal (if you can deal with TMO lack of 3G in a lot of areas)

Also, if you're not a power user, you could opt for the Blaze, another android phone offered direct from CinBell. Much cheaper than the N1, tho less powered, but comes with 2.1 as well. That said, the N1 rules

Feedback Score
    unlimited plan: heard mix things about this either its 5gb limit or its unlimited...may just need to look into contract to see for sure or call in about it.

To answer your question:

Google N1 store is closing. I dont think itll matter when you get it, not sure how much of a subsidy cincinnati bell will offer with a 2 year contract. Depending if you are "lock in for life pricing" I would consider it buying it unlocked, although I would probably just purchase it off craigslist locally. I know the new android blaze is being priced at 99 for 2 year, the data plan is 39 or 29 with unlimited texting. As for the updates, Froyo which is coming out next week I think, will include tethering, and wireless hotspot plus a few other features, JIT suppose to be speed the phone up to 450% from readings online. I was hesitant rooting the phone, but like it. Its fairly simple and its very hard to brick the phone, lot of helpful forums out there. Cyanogen already has many updates that Froyo has, if stock you will do an over the air update, very easy to do.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast