Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 268

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    mcgoo99,..... whats the special you are talking about with the $15 month..... explain. Im currently using the 500 min unlimited text data with 15% discount at $55month with tax. Is there a better option?
    As for mms how do I downsize the pics, I have read this is probably the issue.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by osugsxr
    mcgoo99,..... whats the special you are talking about with the $15 month..... explain. Im currently using the 500 min unlimited text data with 15% discount at $55month with tax. Is there a better option?
    As for mms how do I downsize the pics, I have read this is probably the issue.
    a friend who works for Bell, told me to go to the store and show them my N1 to get $15/month off my bill...that's all I did, no contracts, no obligations.

    i use the handsent app. when you attach an image in handsent the app will resize the 5MB image down to 300K (or whatever you set it to in preferences). while i think that will help, check your APN settings first, follow the instructions on that CinBell link i posted earlier.
    Nexus One
    CM 6-nightly build
    ClockworkMod recovery

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    yeah I have checked the settings already, they are correct. Im pretty sure its the downsizing issue, it worked fine when not rooted. I switched over the the handcent one and was able to send a mms right away, just downsized it automtaically.

    What rom are you running? Im using cyanogen but wanted to try the desire rom, or issue is I keep downloading corrupt roms, get the "bad" while flashing the rom. Not a member of the modaco site, paid portion yet, the kitchen works but the ones posted for general public dont.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    mcgoo99, osugsxr


    Thanks for the replies. Reselling is a good point, although I would hope to have the phone quite awhile. But, with the speed of new phone arrivals you never know. When I get the N1, I will have an 8900 and 8700g laying around.

    Some expect the store to be open another month or so. I thought by that time they would ship the N1 with 2.2. Wouldn't you think so?

    The 2.2 update has easy to follow prompts, I assume. Words like bootloader and reflash scare me.

    I really want FroYo for Flash, been wanting that for years.

    Do you all think that CBW will stay an authorized carrier and would not cripple phone as far as Wifi Hotspots and Tethering goes. In Google's site on closing the store it comments on TMO remaining the carrier, although doesn't explicitly say they would be the only one. I do, like in above post, use the paid Tether on my 8900. But, why repurchase the Android version if not needed.



    Ken
    Phones Owned: Motorola Bag Phone; Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126x2; Blackberry 8700g; 8900; Nexus One; HTC One S; Galaxy S4 32gb; iPhone 6Plus: Carrier AT&T.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by osugsxr
    yeah I have checked the settings already, they are correct. Im pretty sure its the downsizing issue, it worked fine when not rooted. I switched over the the handcent one and was able to send a mms right away, just downsized it automtaically.

    What rom are you running? Im using cyanogen but wanted to try the desire rom, or issue is I keep downloading corrupt roms, get the "bad" while flashing the rom. Not a member of the modaco site, paid portion yet, the kitchen works but the ones posted for general public dont.
    cool, hopefully the handsent will help then. i can't stress enough to check every APN setting...you could be chasing a ghost because you might has misspelled something silly...ask me how i know!

    i'm on cyanogen 5.0.7-test2 and loving it with juice defender, finally getting 24+ hours of battery life...push notification of 3 gmails + all my widgets and apps take their toll.

    check the MD5 sum after you download but before you apply the zip. there's free windows apps available that provide you the MD5 that you can cross reference to the dev's MD5 to ensure you have a non-corrupt ROM.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    mcgoo99, osugsxr


    Thanks for the replies. Reselling is a good point, although I would hope to have the phone quite awhile. But, with the speed of new phone arrivals you never know. When I get the N1, I will have an 8900 and 8700g laying around.

    Some expect the store to be open another month or so. I thought by that time they would ship the N1 with 2.2. Wouldn't you think so?

    The 2.2 update has easy to follow prompts, I assume. Words like bootloader and reflash scare me.

    I really want FroYo for Flash, been wanting that for years.

    Do you all think that CBW will stay an authorized carrier and would not cripple phone as far as Wifi Hotspots and Tethering goes. In Google's site on closing the store it comments on TMO remaining the carrier, although doesn't explicitly say they would be the only one. I do, like in above post, use the paid Tether on my 8900. But, why repurchase the Android version if not needed.

    Ken
    i doubt they'll over 2.2 before shutting the website down. they probably have a bunch of 2.1 inventory they will try to move (without updating, why spend the time to do that?) before closing. plus every delivery date on every ROM ALWAYS gets pushed back. i wouldn't expect to see froyo before 6/15.

    CinBell won't lock down the N1...no reason to buy the pdanet tether app when 2.1 rooted will support it, as well as 2.2 stock.

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    mcgoo99,

    I see your point on not offering 2.2 before closing. Would the 2.2 still come OTA from Google or would you have to wait till CBW offers it like the BB OS upgrades? But, what makes you think CBW won't restrict the tether option, since they offer that service for a fee. I need that option whether I pay or not.

    If I buy from CBW assuming they will continue to carry phone, I won't be able to root it like I would if I buy now from Google. Is that correct?

    I have GCalendar and Gmail and can back up both. I believe there is a program from Google, forget name, that backs up most of phone like apps etc. Does it back up OS as well, like when I do a complete backup of my 8900 thru Desktop Manager. I only ask this in case I do root, I want a full backup available to restore phone. I have done several successful BB OS upgrades like 4.6 and 5.0 before CBW officially came out with any of them. Still no 5.0 from CBW. So, I guess I could muddle thru rooting.

    Based on my concerns, valid or not, you still recommend buying now. If no other reason, I would get the 15.00 unlimited data. Once CBW has phone that may change. Don't know. Course no one knows what their price would be, I run with no contracts.




    Ken
    Last edited by rugmankc; 05-16-2010 at 01:32 PM.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    mcgoo99,

    I see your point on not offering 2.2 before closing. Would the 2.2 still come OTA from Google or would you have to wait till CBW offers it like the BB OS upgrades? But, what makes you think CBW won't restrict the tether option, since they offer that service for a fee. I need that option whether I pay or not.

    If I buy from CBW assuming they will continue to carry phone, I won't be able to root it like I would if I buy now from Google. Is that correct?

    I have GCalendar and Gmail and can back up both. I believe there is a program from Google, forget name, that backs up most of phone like apps etc. Does it back up OS as well, like when I do a complete backup of my 8900 thru Desktop Manager. I only ask this in case I do root, I want a full backup available to restore phone. I have done several successful BB OS upgrades like 4.6 and 5.0 before CBW officially came out with any of them. Still no 5.0 from CBW. So, I guess I could muddle thru rooting.

    Based on my concerns, valid or not, you still recommend buying now. If no other reason, I would get the 15.00 unlimited data. Once CBW has phone that may change. Don't know. Course no one knows what their price would be, I run with no contracts.

    Ken
    CBW can't stop tethering on android phones, it can't be detected as being different data from regular phone usage...one of the great things about android you could root the phone and tether for free, or keep the phone stock and buy the $30 pdanet app and tether using that.

    the N1 comes with an OEM unlockable bootloader, per google's request (they want people messing with the phone, another great reason to join the android community...google supports these devs). CBW won't be able to stop rooting your phone if you choose. but if you do, you invalidate your HTC hardware 1-year warranty.

    google data (gmail email, contacts, calendar) is always synced with the google mothership and will restore itself when you log onto a new (or different) android phone.

    if you root your phone, you have to load a recovery partition (Amon_RA, etc). This gives you the ability to perform a nandroid backup, which saves an exact image of your phone to the sd card, which can be restored if you really brick your phone. also, there is an app called titanium backup that (if you root) makes a backup of all phone settings and apps + data so you can flash different custom ROMs (Enom, Cyanogen, etc) and restore apps and settings nearly seamlessly. So even if you wipe your phone before a new ROM, you can restore it immediately. Very Nice.

    If you don't root, you can buy backup pro and do the same thing titanium backup does. I prefer titanium backup, fwiw.

    And yeah, get the N1 now. It's simply the best phone i've ever owned. Can't you tell i'm passionate about it?

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    mcgoo99,


    Thanks, that is a lot of good info on backup apps and rooting.

    I actually saved it to a Word Doc.

    I do like to tinker after I get familiar with an item and knowing about those backup apps helps.

    Will talk to my CBW rep today and make a decision.

    It is tough giving up my 8900 after only 1 year, but I will survive.




    Ken

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    FYI, may be old news;


    Just got back from talking to my CBW Sales Mgr. CBW will not carry the Nexus One in the store after the Google Store shuts. I don't know and didn't ask if they will still activate and service them if bought elsewhere. Once the store is shut, they probably won't have it on their website. BestBuy is going to sell the N1, maybe online, not sure about in the store.

    CBW has seven new androids coming out this year the closest to the N1 is a slider with much lower specs.

    Guess I will be ordering the N1

    Are my 8700g and 8900 both from CBW locked to them, so I would have to sell them to a CBW customer?



    Ken

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    still unable to find a working desire rom...if anyone has one please contact me. As for the mms, the settings are correct. Just unable to send probably because of it not downsizing, I have downloaded the handcent (reminds me of iphone) liking the set up on it, and have been able to send mms. Unistalled it and tried regular mms and no luck. Conclusion is downsizing...
    Switching to the n1 you wont regret it, I would just pick one up on craigslist, possible trade of a bb. I traded my jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3g 16gb for the n1..no cash just trade for the phones

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, I just ordered the N1. Will take it to my CBW store and set it up. Then the learning begins. I am sure I will have plenty of Q's. And assuming all works out, I will be selling my 8900 and 8700g for anyone in the Dayton/Cincy area on CBW, since I assume they are CBW locked.


    Ken

  13. #223
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by osugsxr
    still unable to find a working desire rom...if anyone has one please contact me. As for the mms, the settings are correct. Just unable to send probably because of it not downsizing, I have downloaded the handcent (reminds me of iphone) liking the set up on it, and have been able to send mms. Unistalled it and tried regular mms and no luck. Conclusion is downsizing...
    Switching to the n1 you wont regret it, I would just pick one up on craigslist, possible trade of a bb. I traded my jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3g 16gb for the n1..no cash just trade for the phones
    head over to XDA to check out the different devs and ROMs...there are a couple Desire ports that people like. i'm a CM convert, but i've heard Enom's is equally good. Can't speak to any of the Desire ports, i'm happy where i am at.

    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=559

    Good trade on the iphone! N1 is waaaay more capable, hardware and software-wise.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    20
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc
    Well, I just ordered the N1. Will take it to my CBW store and set it up. Then the learning begins. I am sure I will have plenty of Q's. And assuming all works out, I will be selling my 8900 and 8700g for anyone in the Dayton/Cincy area on CBW, since I assume they are CBW locked.

    Ken
    congrats! you won't regret it!

    i can't speak to the BB's being CBW-specific, i'm a nokia/android guy craigslist is your best bet for unloading the phones locally, lots of people always looking to upgrade for cheap.

    enjoy drinking the android koolaid! :P

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    yes trade was pretty solid, able to use 3g services with the n1....now using H..basically samething. Anyways found out the problem with desire rom, the ones are the first page are corrupt, searched the site awhile and found a link to a good one.

    Desire rom.... pretty solid enjoying the htc sense ui, havent had much time to play with it though. Only issue was with the data service, not sure how I was able to get it working. Deleted the apn a few times and it finally started working, think it has something to do with the radio, apparently it needs updating. Sense UI overall is enjoyable, can easily flash back to cyanogen since both of them are stored on the sd card. Really like having the phone button where it is, and the mail is kinda cool.

    Question? Is cbw data truly unlimited? Im at 4.4gb with about 10days remaining, mainly do to downloading and finding a working desire rom. Note I dont have internet service at home, and have been using the phone as a modem. Works pretty solid, downloading the roms added some MBs though.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Bookmarks