Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by popwar
    can u not read what i said? The 3g network is gonna be set up n 3 steps. Voice, text, then data, there isnt full coverage so hardly anyone has their 3g network right now. Dont matter what phone you got. As far as the mms thing. Use cbw mms and not cbw data. Should fix it.
    CBW 3G data is up and running. I'm not currently aware of any actual CBW towers that aren't supporting 3G right now. I'll go ask the Tier 3 support guys on my floor tomorrow.

Oh, and there are some people I work with using G1's on CBW's network successfully. I'm currently pondering going that route myself.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell,
    Feedback Score
    Hey Cboy,
    not that it matters, since you said you've gotten 3g on your phone, but, I looked at the testing menu, and the preferred network type is set to "unknown".
    And the ciphering is set to 'on'. Kinda' weird that it wouldn't be on wcdma or gsm, kinda' confuses me lol
    Oh well, it's working for me, and I'll just leave it for now.

You know, I've set the apn type to "mms" before, and never had any luck with about 2379347 different combinations of settings, but I'm still trying lol
    SonyEricsson Xperia X1i:
    -SIM Unlocked
    -HardSPL 0.72 OliNex
    -Touch-IT 5.061

HTC Magic:
    -completely stock

HTC G1:
    -SIM Unlocked
    -JF 1.52
    -ADP 1.1
    -Engineering BL
    -Modified spl

HTC Touch Pro:
    -hardSPL/unlocked
    -Mighty Rom 5 wm 6.5

Device(s)
    Nexus One (on Cincinnati Bell)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tullnd
    CBW 3G data is up and running. I'm not currently aware of any actual CBW towers that aren't supporting 3G right now. I'll go ask the Tier 3 support guys on my floor tomorrow.

Oh, and there are some people I work with using G1's on CBW's network successfully. I'm currently pondering going that route myself.
    would you mind asking them for their APN settings or pointing them here? because my overall data experience (EDGE AND 3G) freaking suck on the G1. was way better on my tilt and i'm pretty sure i'm using the exact same settings so that confuses me. grr.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell,
    Feedback Score
    Woooohooooooooo
    I got mms working on Cincinnati Bell!

I'm going to make a new thread and link it with the MMS and WAP settings.

EDIT:
    Here's the link http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...2#post12091682
    Last edited by foil; 12-22-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    thanks. guys theres something majorly wrong with this phone and i need help.

so i have foil's settings...and i'll get 3g sometimes in some locations and i'll have it for a while. then nothing. no EDGE, nothing.

EXAMPLE: driving up to perfect north, i had 3g for half an hour and then my internet switched over to EDGE after i got far into indiana. worked perfectly.

ON THE WAY BACK. i hadn't touched my phone. no internet. no EDGE. no 3g. nothing. so i went into settings, and turned it to 2g only. then i got EDGE. so i'm like weird maybe i just needed to reset it. so i go in and turn on 3g. so then i get 3g for maybe 5 seconds and then the symbol goes away and i have NO DATA. i restart the phone and same thing.

WHAT IS WRONG?!?! do i need to factory reset? is this hardware? software? i'm so pissed you don't understand 3g doesn't work for me anywhere and even on EDGE i always get "connection problems" when in google maps. i don't freaking understand this it's so frustrating!

please help.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    Well, to add to this thread, are you guys paying normal text/internet plans with the smartphones that you bought outside of CinBell? I'm just wondering because I plan on buying something like the G1 or similar and don't want to pay increased fees for using the internet, etc.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    no i think we're all just using their 15 dollar a month unlimited data / messaging plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I think Cinbell has really screwed us with its 3g network. Using the 1700/2100mhz band (or AWS or Band IV) is perhaps the worst move they could have made. First, there are only 4 phones that currently use this band. The best being the G1. That kinda sucks. Tmobile doesn't have enough pull in the industry to begin a Band IV trend.
    Second, Cinbells current roaming agreement is with AT&T. AT&T uses the 850/1900mhz band for its 3g network. You can see where I'm going with this and why I'm so disappointed with Cinbells deployment.

I can understand that Cincinnati Bell waited until the last minute to purchase band licenses and hence had to choose the worst band possible (for the US). What I don't understand is why they *still* have a roaming agreement with AT&T. Hell, they've been planning their 3g network for well over a year now, and they knew what bands would be available to them, why not partner with Tmobile (for roaming)? All I can think of is that Cinbells board of directors really fell for one of AT&Ts "America best network" commercials or something...

The only thing that's somewhat redeeming is that Cinbell may partner with Tmobile soon, and then we'll have 3g when roaming (without having to switch phones). That, or maybe the government will ban all 2.1ghz cordless phones so we can switch to a Euro 3g setup. Then Cinbell might have a slight edge.

PS The reason I'm so critical of Cinbell is because it's about time for me to upgrade phones. I travel to Florida often and usually stay for about a month at a time, so I need a phone that has 3g capabilities and works with Cinbells roaming partner. I was dead set on the SE G705 since it works within AT&Ts 3g network. Then I hear about Cinbells Band IV choice, and I feel an urge to burn down one of their towers.
    Other than that, I love Cincinnati Bell. My current plan is 1000 mintues, free nights/weekends, and unlimited text/data for $50 (usually $56 after tax and everything). That's the best deal I've ever come across so far, only the old SERO plans came close to that.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Actius
    I think Cinbell has really screwed us with its 3g network. Using the 1700/2100mhz band (or AWS or Band IV) is perhaps the worst move they could have made. First, there are only 4 phones that currently use this band. The best being the G1. That kinda sucks. Tmobile doesn't have enough pull in the industry to begin a Band IV trend.
    Second, Cinbells current roaming agreement is with AT&T. AT&T uses the 850/1900mhz band for its 3g network. You can see where I'm going with this and why I'm so disappointed with Cinbells deployment.

I can understand that Cincinnati Bell waited until the last minute to purchase band licenses and hence had to choose the worst band possible (for the US). What I don't understand is why they *still* have a roaming agreement with AT&T. Hell, they've been planning their 3g network for well over a year now, and they knew what bands would be available to them, why not partner with Tmobile (for roaming)? All I can think of is that Cinbells board of directors really fell for one of AT&Ts "America best network" commercials or something...

The only thing that's somewhat redeeming is that Cinbell may partner with Tmobile soon, and then we'll have 3g when roaming (without having to switch phones). That, or maybe the government will ban all 2.1ghz cordless phones so we can switch to a Euro 3g setup. Then Cinbell might have a slight edge.

PS The reason I'm so critical of Cinbell is because it's about time for me to upgrade phones. I travel to Florida often and usually stay for about a month at a time, so I need a phone that has 3g capabilities and works with Cinbells roaming partner. I was dead set on the SE G705 since it works within AT&Ts 3g network. Then I hear about Cinbells Band IV choice, and I feel an urge to burn down one of their towers.
    Other than that, I love Cincinnati Bell. My current plan is 1000 mintues, free nights/weekends, and unlimited text/data for $50 (usually $56 after tax and everything). That's the best deal I've ever come across so far, only the old SERO plans came close to that.
    Very good point about the bands. Problem is that no phone really encompasses all those 3g networks (best I saw was the Fuze which did 850/1900/2100 but cannot use the 1700 for upload (or download, whichever it is.)
    Very strange that they went that route for 3G because, like you said, there's no way that T-mobile is gonna get everyone to go for Band IV. Unfortunately looks like I'm gonna have to pick one side because I'm not sure how often I'll be in Cincinnati from now on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    yeah i bought a tilt a few months ago thinking when cincinnati bell deployed their 3g network it would work...but no. but i'm really glad now because the g1 is amazing

but cincinnati bell 3g / the g1 don't always get along...i think because their 3g network isnt everywhere (yet hopefully) and my g1 at least hates switching between 2g and 3g...i sometimes have to restart it.

i hope cincinnati bell partners with tmobile. but i thought they were just going to piggy back off of att's 3g network instead of making their own.

can anyone confirm that cincinnati bell has fully launched their 3g network? i hope to God not because i rarely get it, and i mean RARELY. i know someone above said it was almost fully deployed but i hope to god not.

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm Cinbell 3g here in Clifton and parts of Corryville. Also spottedly in Mt. Adams. This was with a Nokia 3555.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    no 3g in wyoming on g1. had 3g in lockland and near lebanon.

Device(s)
    Nokia n95-3
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    no 3g here in hamilton or fairfield. Sometimes the 3g icon appears but it has no bars so it switches bak to 2g

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    so we're going to "confirm" that their 3g network is DEFINITELY NOT rolled out completely yet? or if it is, they decided to make it available only in a few random areas?

good. i hope in a month we have full coverage . i'm actually glad they're using this band because it allows me to use the g1 which i think is the best phone ever.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    Not completely. I've got 3G all over Reading for the most part and also near Newtown, etc. Haven't really confirmed anywhere else yet really.

But when you're out of Cinci, whose 3g network are they gonna use? It seems the only option is to use T-mobiles unless they start selling phones like the Fuze which have 3 3G bands that could utilize ATT's 3G towers. Just seems extremely odd to go with ATT for voice and T-mobile for 3G.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast