Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Device(s)
    TMO G2 (using). TMO G1 (given away), NEC N906i (sold), Sharp 9130C (sold), HTC Hermes (sold)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Does Cincinnati Bell charge for data roaming? The phone I'm getting is EDGE only, so 3G isn't important.

Device(s)
    Nexus One (on Cincinnati Bell)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    cincinnati bell doesnt charge (as far as i know) for data roaming. can anyone confirm this?

also, i went out today and found that most of compton and almost all of springfield pike have 3g! and tri-county does.

but of course, still no 3g on any of the streets near my house

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
    But when you're out of Cinci, whose 3g network are they gonna use? It seems the only option is to use T-mobiles unless they start selling phones like the Fuze which have 3 3G bands that could utilize ATT's 3G towers. Just seems extremely odd to go with ATT for voice and T-mobile for 3G.
    When your out of Cinci, you won't get 3g with a Cinbell 3g compatible phone. Cinbell has a roaming agreement with AT&T, who uses 850/1900mhz for 3g.

The problem is there are 7 different bands, which gives over a dozen paired-band combinations. Check out [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands]. To make things even more complicated, they can even "break up" a certain band. For example, Cinbells utilization of 1700mhz(uplink) is from 1710-1755mhz, whereas Band IX uses 1749-1784mhz. Both are listed as 1700mhz, but are not compatible.

Another issue is that even though AWS is 1700/2100mhz, a phone (like the G1) still won't work on Euro 3g. Although the 2100 band is there, it is downlink only. If there is no compatible umts uplink (Euro 3g uses 900mhz for uplink), so the network won't recognize the device. Phones like the Fuze also won't work in these situations (mostly due to the chopped bands and especially if the bands aren't being paired).

If it seems complicated, it is. AWS isn't exactly standard, or very well deployed. Tmobile isn't like AT&T or O2, they don't really have much pull in the industry. If they can't convince phone developers to make phones for them, then they can't really do well with their 3g network. Hence their 3g network has a low chance of success if people don't use it. And that's where we (Cinbell customers) are screwed.

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cboy007
    cincinnati bell doesnt charge (as far as i know) for data roaming. can anyone confirm this?

also, i went out today and found that most of compton and almost all of springfield pike have 3g! and tri-county does.

but of course, still no 3g on any of the streets near my house
    No extra charges for data while in roaming. I've ran through about 9mb of data in Florida two months ago, and had no charges on my bill. Also, for those who may not know:

Mobile-to-mobile doesn't work in Roaming! You will be use your plan minutes when you are roaming and call another Cinbell cell phone or landline!

Device(s)
    TMO G2 (using). TMO G1 (given away), NEC N906i (sold), Sharp 9130C (sold), HTC Hermes (sold)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Actius
    No extra charges for data while in roaming. I've ran through about 9mb of data in Florida two months ago, and had no charges on my bill. Also, for those who may not know:

Mobile-to-mobile doesn't work in Roaming! You will be use your plan minutes when you are roaming and call another Cinbell cell phone or landline!

So what if I live without of Cinbell's area all together but want to get them because it's cheaper than AT&T?

Device(s)
    Nexus One (on Cincinnati Bell)
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    if you use your phone 100% roaming they will contact you and drop you most likely within a few months.

Device(s)
    Nokia n95-3
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    i dont think cincinnati bells 3g will work on my n95 . it has 850/1900MHz US 3G and 3.5G bands (UMTS and HSDPA) but not the band that cbw is on. if it doesnt then im going to plan on getting another phone, most likely the n97 being released q1-q2 .
    Last edited by popwar; 12-28-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Montusama
    So what if I live without of Cinbell's area all together but want to get them because it's cheaper than AT&T?
    According to their Terms of Service Agreement (verbatim):

...[you] must maintain a minimum of 30% of your overall wireless usage (as measured on a quarterly basis) on the Cincinnati Bell Wireless Local Service Area. If you fail to maintain this minimum level of usage during any three-month period, we may suspend Service with or without prior notice to you, and terminate this Agreement.

I am unsure how well this is enforced though, since a friend of mine has been away at college and for at least a 5 month period, he wasn't in Cincinnati. Perhaps they have special cases, you may need to ask a Rep.

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by popwar
    i dont think cincinnati bells 3g will work on my n95 . it has 850/1900MHz US 3G and 3.5G bands (UMTS and HSDPA) but not the band that cbw is on. if it doesnt then im going to plan on getting another phone, most likely the n97 being released q1-q2 .
    There are only a handful of phones that will currently work on Cinbells 3g network, see here. Another thing worth mentioning is that Nokia has stated they will include the 1700/2100 band in some future phones, but that it'll be mostly in their CDMA lineup

Still a no-win situation for us...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Actius
    According to their Terms of Service Agreement (verbatim):

...[you] must maintain a minimum of 30% of your overall wireless usage (as measured on a quarterly basis) on the Cincinnati Bell Wireless Local Service Area. If you fail to maintain this minimum level of usage during any three-month period, we may suspend Service with or without prior notice to you, and terminate this Agreement.

I am unsure how well this is enforced though, since a friend of mine has been away at college and for at least a 5 month period, he wasn't in Cincinnati. Perhaps they have special cases, you may need to ask a Rep.
    thanks, well guess i'll just go for AT&T then.

Device(s)
    Nokia n95-3
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    the n97 has a /2100 band so it should work

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    the n97 has a /2100 band so it should work

It seems like it would, but it won't. 3g is a bit different than GPRS. The way the 3g networks are set up is that there must be an upload and download frequency. For Cinbell (and TMobile), the upload is 1700mhz, the download is 2100mhz. Actually it's 1710-1755mhz upload and 2110-2155 download. Sometimes you will see it listed as AWS 1700, but this is the format name and the 2100mhz download is implied. In some bands, like band VI, they will say it only uses 800mhz. This is true, but the upload is 830-840mhz upload to 875-885mhz download, so effectively the entire 3g network for that particular band is retained within the 800mhz frequency.

So the N97 lists it has the 2100mhz 3g support. However, it doesn't have the 1700mhz frequency and now we see the problem (when dealing with Cinbell's 3g). Although the download frequency is there, we have no upload. In order for the tower to recognize a 3g device, it needs to receive a 3g signal. Since the N97 doesn't have this 1700mhz upload frequency, it can't send a 3g signal. The tower, being a machine, then switches all communications to GPRS (EDGE, if capable) since it sees no 3g frequency. The tower is also not set up to receive a 2100mhz signal (only send at that frequncy the AWS band), but that wouldn't matter anyways since Cinbell has not purchased an upload license in that frequency and the N97 is most likely not capable of using that frequency as an upload band.

Device(s)
    Nokia n95-3
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    i understand what your saying. the n97 isnt commign to the US ( north american version ) until around spring . nobody except for the makers of the phone knows what bands for us 3g is going to be on the phone yet.

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    i understand what your saying. the n97 isnt commign to the US ( north american version ) until around spring . nobody except for the makers of the phone knows what bands for us 3g is going to be on the phone yet.

Yeah, hopefully AT&T doesn't make a push to get this phone in their lineup. If they do, then more than likely, Nokia won't release a version with 1700/2100mhz (AWS). But even still, the majority of non-carrier specific US 3g phones (for example: SE G705, Samsung INNOV8, and Nokia E71) are released with UMTS 850/1900mhz, which happens to be AT&T's 3g network band. AWS has been around for well over a year now and still only has 4 phones (and one modem) supporting it.

EDIT: gsmarena has a spec sheet for the N97. They're usually a reliable source, save for the release date info.

Device(s)
    HTC G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I recently upgraded to the 6263 and have noticed 3g service is showing as available in some areas of Dayton. I seem to also get higher speed data when it shows up (phone also shows "G" instead of "E" for data connection), so at least some part of the data network must be up.

3G signal areas noted so far:
    --area near US 35 and I 675 interchange
    --area near Mall at Fairfield Commons
    --Route 4 between 444 and Chambersburg
    --I 675 area near Fairborn
    --I 675 near SR 48/725 (had 3g service at Southview Hospital)

No 3G service yet in these areas:
    --Beavercreek near Kemp Road
    --Huber Heights along Chambersburg road
    --Beavercreek along Dayton-Xenia near Kroger (the Kroger itself is also a nice dead zone when it comes to reception...)
    --Clayton at I-70 and Hoke Rd area near Northmont High School

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast