Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Check out the "cincinnati bell thoughts" thread

Feedback Score
    Go to Dell.com, and get the E71 for $299 unlocked.

Device(s)
    LG L1200
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I am able to see Cin Bell's 3g network on my T-Mobile AWS phones. (of course not able to register tho.) University of DAyton Area

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    current band IV devices which works on T-Mobile, CinBell, and Stelera
    nokia 3555, 6263, 5330 NAM2/international
    SE TM506, and probably C903
    HTC G1, Maple, Tungsten
    samsung T636/639, T819, Behold, Memoir
    Option GT307, GSIII (3G router with modem)
    Pharos Traveler 137

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Actius
    It seems like it would, but it won't. 3g is a bit different than GPRS. The way the 3g networks are set up is that there must be an upload and download frequency. For Cinbell (and TMobile), the upload is 1700mhz, the download is 2100mhz. Actually it's 1710-1755mhz upload and 2110-2155 download. Sometimes you will see it listed as AWS 1700, but this is the format name and the 2100mhz download is implied. In some bands, like band VI, they will say it only uses 800mhz. This is true, but the upload is 830-840mhz upload to 875-885mhz download, so effectively the entire 3g network for that particular band is retained within the 800mhz frequency.

So the N97 lists it has the 2100mhz 3g support. However, it doesn't have the 1700mhz frequency and now we see the problem (when dealing with Cinbell's 3g). Although the download frequency is there, we have no upload. In order for the tower to recognize a 3g device, it needs to receive a 3g signal. Since the N97 doesn't have this 1700mhz upload frequency, it can't send a 3g signal. The tower, being a machine, then switches all communications to GPRS (EDGE, if capable) since it sees no 3g frequency. The tower is also not set up to receive a 2100mhz signal (only send at that frequncy the AWS band), but that wouldn't matter anyways since Cinbell has not purchased an upload license in that frequency and the N97 is most likely not capable of using that frequency as an upload band.
    I am also using AWS (band IV) 3G with T-Mobile, look at the list
    band I: widely used in Europe/Asia, 2100 in, 1900 out
    band II: used in many carriers in America (ATT, Claro, Rogers), uses 1900, both in and out
    band III: it's like 1900 (1800 DCS), but in Europe/Asia, but currently there's no carrier using this band for 3G
    band IV: aka AWS, a new band standard used in America, 2100 in, 1700 (same uplink band as band III) out
    band V: 850 band, old cellular band, used in America and Australia, uses 850 for in and out
    band VI: unique 800 band used in Japan
    band VIII: cellular band (900) used in Europe and Asia, like 850, uses 900 for both in and out
    band IX: this is another confusing 1700 band, which is used in Japan and Korea, uses 1700 for both in and out, DO NOT get confused with band IV

we can expect some more unlocked 3G handsets with band IV later this year, 5330 is due July, about 3-4 months away

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Cincinnati Bell's web site still has no mention of 3g on any of their phones, not on the nokia 3555 or the TM506. Also, no more Nokia 6263. And much to my dismay, no more E71. They are down to only 5 smartphones now, they used to have around 10 or so a few months ago. Does this mean I can expect the N97 soon! (I know, fat chance, err no chance)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    you can expect nokia 5330, even NAM2 will have band I/IV/VIII 3G
    G2 (Sapphire) passed FCC, and Touch Pro 2 (HTC Tungsten) will have band IV

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Yeah- - - I only believe people with 24,628 posts

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information Scottish Skyeandce. Who should I contact at Nokia to tell them to install band IV on the e71? (just kidding)

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    For cxoakes: The reason we removed the nokia smartphones is not because they are "being discontinued", but because it is trivial for an average user to install Skype on the phones, thereby making it easy to make free calls.
    Please note that i am not payed to be here from cincinnati bell. I do work for them in Post Care Escalations in Eastern Canada as a supervisor. If you have any troubles, you can PM them to me and i can give you general (non-account) information, however, it's best if you give us a call instead.

DISCLAIMER: OUTSIDE OF WORK, I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH CINCINNATI BELL, NOR IS MY POSTING HERE WITH THE NAME "CINBELL" AN IMPLYED ENDORSMENT OF MY ACTIONS HERE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cinbell
    For cxoakes: The reason we removed the nokia smartphones is not because they are "being discontinued", but because it is trivial for an average user to install Skype on the phones, thereby making it easy to make free calls.
    once HTC Tungsten is released on T-Mobile, it cannot be stopped
    there're a huge number of gurus on forum.xda-developers.com, that can cook whatever ROM they want

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I see your point cinbell. What about people with unlimited voice, text, and data plan? I have come to the realization that I am an idiot for not getting the e71.(even without 3g) I just looked at their website, now down to 4 smartphones and that is if you think the Nokia 6210 Navigator is one.
    Last edited by cxoakes; 03-31-2009 at 12:24 AM.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to highjack this thread but can anyone who uses Cincinnati Bell please tell me the SMS character limit. I have read on old posts from 2005 that the limit is 50 characters but surely this has been increased to a more respectible amount.

Would really appreciate your help cause I am on the fence to get a contract with them or not based on this.

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    centennial wireless
    Feedback Score

iPhone 3g on Cin Bell

I have looked over this forum but can't find this information. I have a iPhone 3g that is from Canada that ran on the Rodgers network. I now use it on Centennial wireless. I am moving to Cin/Dat area. So will I be able to switch to Cen Bell and get there 3g sim and run full 3g speeds? So in a nut shell my phone was not "unlocked" it came that way to from Apple to Canada. I just put in a Centennial sim changed the setting and it works great. Please help me!!

Device(s)
    Apple 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rstar00
    I have looked over this forum but can't find this information. I have a iPhone 3g that is from Canada that ran on the Rodgers network. I now use it on Centennial wireless. I am moving to Cin/Dat area. So will I be able to switch to Cen Bell and get there 3g sim and run full 3g speeds? So in a nut shell my phone was not "unlocked" it came that way to from Apple to Canada. I just put in a Centennial sim changed the setting and it works great. Please help me!!
    No the iphone 3g runs only on the fequency of at&t and cin bell uses a tmobile frequency the only phone worth a crap able to use 3g speeds is the g1 also dont use a new 3g card use an old red back will still get 3g but not the problems from the 3gs sim

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast