Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bell 3G Question

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    I'm starting to think that ATT might limit CinBells network usage or something. I've tried everything I could think of and can't get 3g. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3Gs
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    that's because they use a different radio frequency

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    But I'm using the 5800, which has radios for ATT's 3G bands. It's not at all CinBell 3g compatible but it should work with ATTs network.

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    I feel your pain, but this thread is going in mind numbing circles.(through no fault of your own)

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
    But I'm using the 5800, which has radios for ATT's 3G bands. It's not at all CinBell 3g compatible but it should work with ATTs network.
    OK, I'll try to explain this to the best of my understanding.

1) Cincinnati Bell's 3G frequencies are 1700/2100 MHz, which is actually the same at T-Mobile's. AT&T uses the 850/1900 freqencies. All three companies (CBW, ATT, TMO) have the same 2G (EDGE) voice/data frequencies, however.

2) Any CBW phone that has any chance of 3G working has the 1700/2100 bands.

3) CBW's 3G footprint is local only. They have no 3G roaming agreements (at least any that are active). If you're outside of the Cincy/Dayton area, you're EDGE only.

4) Even if/when roaming in 3G is available for CBW customers, it will only be on the 1700/2100 (TMO) bands.

So while they do sell phones that are 3G compatible on the AT&T Bands (like the 5800), to be fair they do not call those phones 3G.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdo77
    3) CBW's 3G footprint is local only. They have no 3G roaming agreements (at least any that are active). If you're outside of the Cincy/Dayton area, you're EDGE only.
    That's what I needed to know then. Thanks. Cleared it all up right there.

Device(s)
    Pantech Duo
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    How does one tell if a phone is 3G or not? I recently bought a used Pantech Duo off Craigslist and the manual says it's 3G yet I've never seen the 3G icon active. It only shows E, so is there something else I have to do?

Device(s)
    Samsung e730
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    unvc92camarors, from reading one of your previous posts, were you asking why we can't get 3g while roaming since we use AT&T's network for roaming (and you have an 1800/2100 phone)?

If so, AT&T limits 3G on its network only to it's own subscribers. Subscribers who roam using AT&T are only allowed 2G bands, or the GSM bands. Although we wish we could use it, I myself have an E71 and travel frequently, AT&T is contracted to only provide the 2G bands for roaming with Cinbell.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3555
    Carrier(s)
    CinBell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Actius
    unvc92camarors, from reading one of your previous posts, were you asking why we can't get 3g while roaming since we use AT&T's network for roaming (and you have an 1800/2100 phone)?

If so, AT&T limits 3G on its network only to it's own subscribers. Subscribers who roam using AT&T are only allowed 2G bands, or the GSM bands. Although we wish we could use it, I myself have an E71 and travel frequently, AT&T is contracted to only provide the 2G bands for roaming with Cinbell.
    Exactly what I was asking. Kinda sucks but I guess I'll deal. Once I get some real internet at my place it will be fine.

Feedback Score
    I have a nokia 6263 with a 3g sim card with cinbell and i get around 390 kbps download and 60 kbps upload. is this as fast as the 6263 gets?

Device(s)
    HTC G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Bumping this one back to the top...has anyone been able to get 3g service outside of Dayton/Cincinnati? Somehow I was able to get 3g service while in Columbus this past weekend. I didn't see any news about a 3g roaming agreement being available.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Columbus is lit with T-Mobile 3G on their online coverage map. So that would be my 99.99% guess as to who and what you were roaming on. Does CinBell lock the network's broadcast name or does it show like T-mobile has it set up? Like if you roam on AT&T the phone shows AT&T. I acquired an OLD CinBell SIM thru an old ebay phone auction and manual network selections only showed ROAM I believe and wondered if it had changed since.

Device(s)
    HTC G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    On the G1, I think it shows the following:
    Cincinnati Bell
    CinBell USA (AT&T)
    Roam (T-Mobile)

The phone was showing CinBell USA, but I've found that sometimes the network banner was slow to update. I had it in Auto Select mode at the time.

I have noticed on both of my other phones that it will display Cincinnati Bell for both their network and the AT&T network, and CinBell USA for the T-Mobile network. (I determined this because the M900 phone lets you see the network codes when you manually select.)

Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell
    Feedback Score
    Cincinnati bell just got a new phone: Pantech matrix : still not 3g; who is making these decisions

15. Can anyone give me the internet, mms, wap settings for CinciBell for my MotoQ9h running WM 6.1. Love the phone but can't get any internet at all. Yes, I'm paying for unlimited internet and mms. Got the phone from AT&T it's sim and app unlocked, and almost completely unbranded D4MN rom startup.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast