Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: DEFINITIVE: T-Mobile $5.99 T-Mobile Web "TZones" works with G1

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

DEFINITIVE: T-Mobile $5.99 T-Mobile Web "TZones" works with G1

As many know, there has been a hack for a long time that has allowed T-Mobile Customers to add the "T-Mobile Web", formerly known as "T-Zones" data to their account for $5.99 per month and connect to it through a proxy and access the normal internet, but with some port and application restrictions. I have been using this hack for a while on my T-Mobile Shadow and then an unlocked ATT Tilt. I purchased a G1 from ebay, thus was not forced into a data plan contract or the 2 year contract renewal. I can say definitively that the G1 will fully activate and function (minus data) without a data plan. I can place calls, receive calls, send and receive SMS messages, voicemail, etc, and access any application or internet when connected to wifi. I really don't see the point in paying $25 a month for 2G internet, so I looked for a way to continue using the TZones. I found some settings online and from various posts here and through some trial and error I got it to work. What I did:

Menu->Settings->Wireless Controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names->T-Mobile US
    I input the following settings:
    Name: T-Mobile US
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    proxy: 216.155.165.050
    port: 8080
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: unchanged from original (http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc)
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMC: unchanged (for me it was 310, I believe it is based on your location)
    MNC: unchanged (for me it was 260, I believe it is based on your location)
    APN type: Not set

For me this works for me to browse the full internet on my EDGE network. Some have said that this works for 3G as well, but I am not in a 3G area. There has also been reports of epc.tmobile.com working and not needing the proxy (this worked for my Tilt), but I could not get it to connect. This also allows for MMS access. Google Maps would not download maps through the proxy, and I could not access the Android Market. I also could not get push GMail to work either. I am in wifi areas almost constantly, so I can access that stuff through wifi.

I would really like this to not dissolve into a thread where people argue whether or not this is stealing from T-Mobile, as they have known about the hack for a long time and done nothing, and I would also like to keep the comments about how pointless the G1 is without an unlimited data plan also to a minimum. I don't need access to maps and the market all the time, and I don't have to have push email when I can check it on the browser, so this works perfectly for me. I'm just giving the information that I have to somebody else so hopefully it helps somebody else.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    hows youtube? the market does not work, eh whatves in the long run. personally ill keep the internet but hey i say use it if u want.

anyone else can confirm it works?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mZimm
    As many know, there has been a hack for a long time that has allowed T-Mobile Customers to add the "T-Mobile Web", formerly known as "T-Zones" data to their account for $5.99 per month and connect to it through a proxy and access the normal internet, but with some port and application restrictions. I have been using this hack for a while on my T-Mobile Shadow and then an unlocked ATT Tilt. I purchased a G1 from ebay, thus was not forced into a data plan contract or the 2 year contract renewal. I can say definitively that the G1 will fully activate and function (minus data) without a data plan. I can place calls, receive calls, send and receive SMS messages, voicemail, etc, and access any application or internet when connected to wifi. I really don't see the point in paying $25 a month for 2G internet, so I looked for a way to continue using the TZones. I found some settings online and from various posts here and through some trial and error I got it to work. What I did:

Menu->Settings->Wireless Controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names->T-Mobile US
    I input the following settings:
    Name: T-Mobile US
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    proxy: 216.155.165.050
    port: 8080
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: unchanged from original (http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc)
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
    MMS Port: 8080
    MMC: unchanged (for me it was 310, I believe it is based on your location)
    MNC: unchanged (for me it was 260, I believe it is based on your location)
    APN type: Not set

For me this works for me to browse the full internet on my EDGE network. Some have said that this works for 3G as well, but I am not in a 3G area. There has also been reports of epc.tmobile.com working and not needing the proxy (this worked for my Tilt), but I could not get it to connect. This also allows for MMS access. Google Maps would not download maps through the proxy, and I could not access the Android Market. I also could not get push GMail to work either. I am in wifi areas almost constantly, so I can access that stuff through wifi.

I would really like this to not dissolve into a thread where people argue whether or not this is stealing from T-Mobile, as they have known about the hack for a long time and done nothing, and I would also like to keep the comments about how pointless the G1 is without an unlimited data plan also to a minimum. I don't need access to maps and the market all the time, and I don't have to have push email when I can check it on the browser, so this works perfectly for me. I'm just giving the information that I have to somebody else so hopefully it helps somebody else.
    The proxy-less "EPC.tmobile.com" APN did not work? Also beware, next month T-mobile is goign to restructure its data plans, and they may shut down the loop hole on the G1. They may force you on the $25 plan. Keep us all posted though.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 with Google
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    this will not work by the end of the year when tmo redoes the plans. and on top of that i believe we all still have free data on the g1

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    will be nice if this is true and the loophole is eliminated. Although I do believe T-mo should offer PPU or data limited lower packages like ATT does.

Device(s)
    E61
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neoK-182
    this will not work by the end of the year when tmo redoes the plans. and on top of that i believe we all still have free data on the g1
    This might be what's going on. My account still shows the t-zone plan.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Um, not so DEFINITIVE! In about a month, there will be a bunch of threads starting with, "My G1 no longer works with the Proxy!!! Help!!!"
    United States of America 1776 - 2001 RIP

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Furthermore, tmobile will be like at&t and will be scanning all accounts and those who are using the G1 will have the appropriate data plan added on to their account. So..... take advantage of the system while you can...

Jeff
    HoFo Feedback

Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke218
    Um, not so DEFINITIVE! In about a month, there will be a bunch of threads starting with, "My G1 no longer works with the Proxy!!! Help!!!"
    Seems pretty definitive as of 10/27/2008

Device(s)
    T-Mobile HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Q
    Seems pretty definitive as of 10/27/2008
    definitive: Main Entry: 1de·fin·i·tive
    Pronunciation: \di-ˈfi-nə-tiv\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English diffinityf, from Anglo-French diffinitive, from Latin definitivus, from definitus
    Date: 14th century
    1: serving to provide a final solution or to end a situation <a definitive victory>
    2: authoritative and apparently exhaustive <a definitive edition>
    3 a: serving to define or specify precisely <definitive laws> b: serving as a perfect example : quintessential <a definitive bourgeois>
    4: fully differentiated or developed <a definitive organ>
    5of a postage stamp : issued as a regular stamp for the country or territory in which it is to be used
    Um, not so DEFINITIVE! T-Mobile has yet to move anyone into the G1 plans - I've tried to change mine 5 times over 3 days. The system won't let me. As of now, I have no internet plan listed at all. Got rid of my BB plan the day I got the G1. So to say the current $5.99 T-Zone plan is the final be all, end all will all ways work with the G1 isn't so definitive, is it?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Good information but I was using $15 for unlimited SMS and 5.99 TZones makes it only 14.00 more to have the correct plan, 3G data, Hotspots, and have everything work how its supposed to without a large amount manipulation.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6SPlus (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffro01
    Furthermore, tmobile will be like at&t and will be scanning all accounts and those who are using the G1 will have the appropriate data plan added on to their account. So..... take advantage of the system while you can...

Jeff
    So what, any AWS 3G capable phone will be added to this list, and be auto-added to a 3G data plan w/o the customer's consent?

I smell an IMEI changer if that occurs, just like what came out for the iphone so people could re-enable MMS to use SwirlyMMS.

Device(s)
    Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke218
    So to say the current $5.99 T-Zone plan is the final be all, end all will all ways work with the G1 isn't so definitive, is it?
    Who said that again?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1 with Google
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    once again. EVERYONE STILL HAS FREE DATA. so obviously this is going to work. I'm on T-Zones with no proxy what-so-ever. no G1 plan on my account and i have full data including 3G.

So yea everyone has free data. if this works once the G1 plans go active then your onto something.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by neoK-182
    once again. EVERYONE STILL HAS FREE DATA. so obviously this is going to work. I'm on T-Zones with no proxy what-so-ever. no G1 plan on my account and i have full data including 3G.

So yea everyone has free data. if this works once the G1 plans go active then your onto something.
    I don't have free data on my G1 because T-Mobile does not know that I have one. When I log into my account in my.tmobile it does not show that I am using a G1. Before putting in the proxy settings I was NOT getting free data, thus the only way my data is working is because of the proxy settings. I realize that T-Mobile may shut this down soon, but currently it is definitive that it works.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast