Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: DEFINITIVE: T-Mobile $5.99 T-Mobile Web "TZones" works with G1

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremein motion
    hows youtube? the market does not work, eh whatves in the long run. personally ill keep the internet but hey i say use it if u want.

anyone else can confirm it works?
    Youtube also comes up with a connection error, apparently it also uses its own settings to connect to the network. It works on wifi flawlessly, however. Youtube on 2G would suck anyhow, so it isn't a big loss for me.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke218
    Um, not so DEFINITIVE! T-Mobile has yet to move anyone into the G1 plans - I've tried to change mine 5 times over 3 days. The system won't let me. As of now, I have no internet plan listed at all. Got rid of my BB plan the day I got the G1. So to say the current $5.99 T-Zone plan is the final be all, end all will all ways work with the G1 isn't so definitive, is it?
    I never once said that the T-Zones plan will and always will work with the G1, I realize that there is a definite possibility that it gets shut down at some point. Until it does, however, I will continue to use it. T-Mobile provides a settings configurator on their website that gives you the settings to use in order to set up T-Zones on a smartphone, so there's no way that they can suddenly start charging users for the data and claim that this is abusing the network.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mZimm
    Youtube also comes up with a connection error, apparently it also uses its own settings to connect to the network. It works on wifi flawlessly, however. Youtube on 2G would suck anyhow, so it isn't a big loss for me.

Actually Youtube works great on 2G.

Device(s)
    T-mobile G1/Flip 8220
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I am a new T-mobile customer so already on the G1 specific plan. I can not access anything other that T-zones when I put the SIM in a TM506 or 6101.

The customer support rep that I talked with indicated that it is a G1 specific plan and I would need to change it to use data on a different phone. From the way he was talking it sounded like data plans are going to be more phone specific going forward.

David

Device(s)
    T-Mobile HTC HD2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I never once said that the T-Zones plan will and always will work with the G1...
    Never said you did... I responding to someone else.
    United States of America 1776 - 2001 RIP

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I cant get Maps or Youtube to work with this. The browser works, but its a bit slow.

Is the proxy hack only good for browsing and not Youtube or Maps app?

Device(s)
    Android
    Carrier(s)
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mnkyboy
    I cant get Maps or Youtube to work with this. The browser works, but its a bit slow.

Is the proxy hack only good for browsing and not Youtube or Maps app?
    Try switching the APN to: epc.tmobile.com and then try using youtube.

I have an OLD nokia 6120c and i can watch youtube over EGSM with the epc data.

EDIT--Either way it looks the the days of unlimited data are fast coming to end.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1449021
    Last edited by Antenna; 10-27-2008 at 09:02 PM.

Feedback Score
    We have been hearing that the T-Zones data is going to end for a couple of years now. I expect that one day it will end, but I will believe it when I see it.

That said, I think there are some real neat things you can do with this phone that are not available with the T-Zones hack. If maps and utube don't work, and we know you can't stream TV with the hack, maybe it is worth the extra money to get full data. I think that choice is for each person to make.

I don't need anyone on this board to tell me how to spend my money unless they want to start giving me some. I am trying to decide on whether to buy the G1 and whether to buy the data plan.

By the way, it will not be possible for T-Mobile to force the data plan on anyone. There is no restriction in the contract as to which phone you have to use for service. Some people have more than one phone and switch out their sim card between phones. How will T-Mobile know which phone you are using? What if you decide to change phones after the data plan is forced on you? These are practical problems the will keep T-Mobile from forcing data plans on anyone.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How do you set the G1 to use the APN after setting the values the OP posted?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So, can anyone else confirm that you can only browse websites using the $5.99 plan and NOT use the Maps or Youtube App. I tried changing my APN to epc.tmobile.com as Antenna suggested, but this does not work.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ^^^Or you could just get the correct data plan... your going to be forced to soon anyhow...

Jeff
    HoFo Feedback

Feedback Score
    Question: I just spoke with a customer Rep and he said that in order to utilize the phone, you have to have one of the data plans on it. Is that true?, I was thinking to get the data plan "as required" and activate my phone than cancel the internet.
    I just need the phone for outgoing calls and text

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    .... T-Mobile provides a settings configurator on their website that gives you the settings to use in order to set up T-Zones on a smartphone, so there's no way that they can suddenly start charging users for the data and claim that this is abusing the network.
    Really! Where can you find that on their site? Never knew that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128GB Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by almeaniemoe
    Question: I just spoke with a customer Rep and he said that in order to utilize the phone, you have to have one of the data plans on it. Is that true?, I was thinking to get the data plan "as required" and activate my phone than cancel the internet.
    I just need the phone for outgoing calls and text
    For the last time THIS WILL NOT WORK GOING INTO THE FUTURE!!!! If you have the G1 and are using it, the system knows so, and it's tmobiles intention to automatically attach the G1 data plan of at least 24.99 for using it, ala iPhone.... Do what you will now but.... Besides why on earth would anyone want to get the G1 without the data in the first place? Just to call and text, the G1??? What a waist of money...

Jeff

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (US, UK),
    Feedback Score

Not necessarily.

Hand held computers (I've had three - four, if you count the Thera, which I don't ) are really great to use on WiFi, which is becoming ubiquitous worldwide. Jacking in at a HotSpot gives my WING - wings.
    Last edited by T-Zonedout; 10-28-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: By the way - has T-Mo announced its intention to automatically ding G1 owners? Or is this merely speculation?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast