Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: DEFINITIVE: T-Mobile $5.99 T-Mobile Web "TZones" works with G1

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keepzero
    so what happens to people who just want the phone and don't care about data. every phone company has at least one carrier specific phone that is the major draw to drum up business. so is t-mobile viewing this like either you do what we say or you can leave and take your business to another carrier.
    Yes, the G1 is that phone for Tmobile. I think its a joke for someone to want the G1 and not want a data plan. Thats like someone buying a Corvette and never driving over 55 MPH.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mnkyboy
    Yes, the G1 is that phone for Tmobile. I think its a joke for someone to want the G1 and not want a data plan. Thats like someone buying a Corvette and never driving over 55 MPH.
    Sounds like you have a very narrow view of how smartphones are used by some people.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sracer
    Sounds like you have a very narrow view of how smartphones are used by some people.
    It's not about being narrow minded. It's about reality and intentions, plans, design etc. This phone was designed to be a web phone. A smart phone based purely on 3G fast internet capabilities.

People may call some us close minded, but I think its more of others people inability to either accept or comprehend what that means exactly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna
    Ah you just buy your flex sims off of ebay or craigslist, and use grandcentral or something....yeah thats coming to an end soon too buddy.......
    Ok... funny thats what they said about the t-zone hack, like a year ago.... Thanks for the heads up buddy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derekedw
    It's not about being narrow minded. It's about reality and intentions, plans, design etc. This phone was designed to be a web phone. A smart phone based purely on 3G fast internet capabilities.

People may call some us close minded, but I think its more of others people inability to either accept or comprehend what that means exactly.
    Thats why the folks at apple made the ipod touch...

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sracer
    Go buy an iPod Touch or Palm Pilot like the other guy said.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb532
    Would you care if you knew someone else is getting scammed to get you that great deal?

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...4&postcount=11
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311351

Basically, the guy you buy those cards from is probably using other dealers codes to activate them. That other dealer now has to pay for the activation that he should be charging YOU!

Sorry, someone always gets hurt when the deal is to good to be true.
    Fine, I will go in an activate on a regular plan and pay for the regular internet. Is that acceptable? Can we all sleep now?

Device(s)
    Dash 3G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ~W~
    Fine, I will go in an activate on a regular plan and pay for the regular internet. Is that acceptable? Can we all sleep now?
    You can do whatever you want, I was just making sure you knew the consequences of your actions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronb532
    You can do whatever you want, I was just making sure you knew the consequences of your actions.
    I don't want someone being hurt because of my activation. I now understand that activation may hurt others therefore I shall never activate ever again! CHEERS!

Device(s)
    HTC G1, Nokia 5610 XpressMusic, Samsung SGH-X475, Nokia 5300, Samsung Blast, HTC Dash S620,SideKick
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ~W~
    Thats why the folks at apple made the ipod touch...

Quote Originally Posted by mnkyboy
    Go buy an iPod Touch or Palm Pilot like the other guy said.

Yes thats true but as cell phones have evolved so has the market for them. People wanted color screens standard and got them. People wanted camera function ability standard and got them people wanted mp3 players standard and now we are in the process of making them standard. Now people are wanting faster phones and faster Internet and high speed everything. Look at just a 10 year span from October 30, 1998 to Now October 30, 2008 and see how much cell phones evolved. there is probably only a handful of smart phones that don't have some sort of music player built in. But the point is as consumers we have been conditioned to expect certain features of cell phones, especially smart phones. With that logic You might as well have said If people wanted a camera then they just have to go to the store and buy one and not worry about the one built in. Or its like buying a brand new car and having the dealership tell you that if you wanted a radio then you will have to buy one on your own.

I know that the majority of people that come here and post are wiser about cell phones then the average person. So its easy to say "its their fault" and go on about your life. And yes its true people are born with the ability of free will, and for the most part are capable of making the correct and informed decision. But still there is something to be said about the massive marketing for this phone and making people want it.

The point of my initial post was it's one thing to tell the customer upfront before they purchase the G1 at a t-mobile store or kiosk or where ever, that there is an additional data tier package that needs to be bought along with it.

And its another to thing to charge a customer on their bill if they are using a G1 and either bought it wholesale or at a store that didn't involve adding an additional line or upgrading a current one with it. Thats why they call it a contract. Both parties agree on the terms of the 1 or 2 year contract and for that length of time neither party can change the terms or conditions unless both parties agree on it.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keepzero
    And its another to thing to charge a customer on their bill if they are using a G1 and either bought it wholesale or at a store that didn't involve adding an additional line or upgrading a current one with it. Thats why they call it a contract. Both parties agree on the terms of the 1 or 2 year contract and for that length of time neither party can change the terms or conditions unless both parties agree on it.
    I bought a G1 from Ebay so I dont have to extend my contract. I was fully aware thought that Data plan is needed. If someone is smart enough to buy a G1 without a contract, I think they are smart enough to know you need Data plan. Not to mention that contracts are mainly saying that "I will be a Tmobile customer for X amount of year". The G1 is smartphone that focuses on data (Google, duh)

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (US, UK),
    Feedback Score

T-Mo! I have a suggestion for you!

It would be to T-Mo's benefit if they were to authorize a SIM to access the 3G network the way they do with T-MobileWeb today. Paying for one of the 3G services would be a prerequisite to enabling the SIM the way the $5.99 service is today.

That way, users could use that SIM in any handset they wanted to for 3G, and a given handset could be used on either a 2G or 3G service, depending on what SIM was in it. It would also put a stop to cheating.

Whether their implementation and network topology will ever permit this is conjectural. I think the entire network will have to supply GPRS for the time being, because the vast majority of their customers won't have 3G handsets for years.

I don't think it should be required to pay for a 3G plan just because a G1 is being used (unless T-Mo supplied it). I don't have 3G coverage at home, so I could WiFi when I'm at a HotSpot, and EDGE to fill in between.
    Last edited by T-Zonedout; 10-30-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Add comment on using a G1 without a 3G plan

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ^If they wanted to block people from the $5.99 they would have done already. Are you kidding? Of COURSE they know about it, but they leave it because, and this part is my opinion, they are probably making boatloads of money off it.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So has anyone gotten the other Apps (Gmail, Youtube, Market, etc) to work with the $5.99 plan? I had 0 luck getting it to work, but when adding the $19.99 plan it started working right away.

Device(s)
    G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile (US, UK),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddysheqel
    ^If they wanted to block people from the $5.99 they would have done already. Are you kidding? Of COURSE they know about it, but they leave it because, and this part is my opinion, they are probably making boatloads of money off it.
    Actually, that's all your opinion.

As long as I've been following the discussion (maybe three years), people have been reporting that T-MobileWeb has been throttled back in various markets, as T-Mo has freed resources to make the necessary changes in one server at a time.

Similarly, up until recently, T-Zones (the free service) had a hole in it that allowed anyone with a phone having a "Go To URL" item in its "Office Tools" menu could access the internet without a subscription.

Why would I be kidding?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast