Thread: EPIX : New Text Message On Screen Notification.

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

EPIX : New Text Message On Screen Notification.

Ok here is another thing i can't find on how to "lock" (and yes i did search here / XDA / etc..)

In
    Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Notifications > "Messaging: New text message" : Display message on screen

if you uncheck this option with every reboot it defaults back to "checked"

is there a way to code this into Advanced Config Tool or something to help lock it to unchecked?

Or is there a place i can post this question in a non samsung specific area?

Feedback Score
    Same problem - very annoying.
    No other ppc phone works this way.

Phone
    Epix
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I just spoke with Samsung Support about the notification setting getting reset on a power cycle. They acknowledged that it's a problem, and that it would be a candidate to be fixed when they do an update to the software. Of course, he didn't say when (they don't know yet...), but it's recognized as an issue, so that's a start.

As an aside, I found the Samsung support folks to be quite helpful.

Phone
    Samsung Focus i917
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At least they are acting aware.. instead of "Sorry Sir, this is the first I've heard of this issue"

Phones
    Nexus 4
    LG G2x - CM7 or MIUI
    Asus Transformer - Revolver OC/UV
    Carrier
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    AT&T lock crap I bet.

Have you tried to manually make changes in the registry. I've been trying to turn off all those annoying notifications messages TELLING me I have messages... its redundant.

The only way I found to stop them was to edit the registry. I don't know if they came back on a reset... but I'll find out real quick. I'll edit the post with results........

[EDIT] Nope the revert back. There are a bunch of them in the registry here. Some of them don't have a name... just a value of "8"... which is the notifications. I wonder if one of them is being used as a default on restart.

Here is my post with how to do it:
    http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=192

Navigate to there, and you'll see a bunch of Keys each with a long string of numbers. Open each one; making note of the "Default" name, which will tell you what it is. A few don't have a name and have a value of 8. Following my post:
    ring....................1 decimal
    vibrate................2 decimal
    flash led..............4 decimal
    display message....8 decimal

... you add them up to get the number of options you want. ex Vibrate + LED is 4+2= "6".

Now if you set ALL the different notifications to "6", then EVERYTHING (New Email, New message, New Voicemail, New BT Incoming file, Connection established, Connection Failed, etc) would all simply vibrate, light up the LED, and change the ICON in the TASKBAR appropriately.

This might not be a bad idea, if you want to get rid of those annoying messages all together... Maybe it'll fix the settings reverting back after a restart.
    Last edited by player911; 11-05-2008 at 02:49 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKBKqm7v6n4

Free Dedicated Chat on your Nintendo Wii. Instantly find gamers to play with online.

You can find it here.
    Search

Phone
    Epix
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I did try the registry edit that someone posted, but no joy, they still got reset after a power cycle, which is why I called Samsung. By the way, I spoke not only to the first line folks, but got to an L3 tech support as well. All 3 of them acknowledged that they could repro the issue. The L3 tech said that it should be fixed.

Phones
    Nexus 4
    LG G2x - CM7 or MIUI
    Carrier
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm. What will probably end up in a hard-reset... I manually changed all the notification option settings to "6"... reset... and what do you know... Email and SMS still default to "Display Message" which is "14"

I wonder if we can export these registry entries and launch them at startup... so they change back? I know MortScript can do such things.

Phones
    Samsung sgh-i907 Epix
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Sound profiles on Epix?

Am I missing something? The Epix doesn't appear to have sound profiles like my non-touchscreen WM devices in the past. While I can change between "Silent," "Vibrate," etc.... there is no place to edit these that I can see. I like to have my phone vibrate for everything (calls & messages) during the day, but have messages and email silent at night, with a loud ring if I get a phone call (since I'm on call 24-7), but really don't want to wake up for a random text message at 2 in the morning.

Any good 3rd-party programs out there that can accomplish this?

Phones
    Nexus 4
    LG G2x - CM7 or MIUI
    Carrier
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Go into Sounds and Notifications

There you can choose what you want done with each event. There isn't a "profile" to setup and save to for easy switching. I don't think Windows Mobile Pro comes with a profile selector. Standard does because Standard was built specifically for phones.

You can however achieve setting profiles on your phone via a 3rd party app. Some developers include theses apps in their device ROMS, but I like being able to choose my own.

Check this out:
    http://www.4shared.com/get/32880079/.../Profiles.html

This is the Windows Mobile profile addon. The program has a Today plugin and you configure it through START MENU >> SETTINGS >> PROFILES.

There are like 9 profiles you can set up and swap between. Once you set one up and enable it, you can switch to it via the Today plugin. You can also make a profile active via the Settings program. Took me forever to find that.

Feedback Score

To answer this threads principle question

[My Mom did NOT buy me this phone!]

Through much trial and error i have discovered that only the "Display Message" options always get turned on under Text and Email notifcations.

so I (using players 911's registry tips from earlier) wrote a reg file that i put in the \windows\startup of my Epix

it is kind of crude and you do get two prompts every time that you restart your phone but it fixes the display notifications crap!

Set all the other options the way you want they will stick,

then put the 5 lines below in a file named <yourname>.reg and copy it to your phone in the \windows\startup dir and reboot

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D65B-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
    "Options"=dword:00000007
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Notifications\{A877 D65A-239C-47a7-9304-0D347F580408}]
    "Options"=dword:00000007

as you can see I have the options set to do everything BUT display on screen but you can set yours to what ever you would like.

again I know this is not very elegant but it does work without having to manually change these settings every time you reboot.

Cheers!

FuzzyDamnit!
    Last edited by Fuzzydamnit; 11-11-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: snarky remark

Phones
    Samsung sgh-i907 Epix
    Motorola Q9h
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Player:

Thanks for that link... this doesn't do exactly what I want, but it's still a good app. I think I'm going to end up returning the Epix and going back to my Q. After a couple of days of use, it's still just not as easy to operate (particularly with one hand while driving)...

Quote Originally Posted by player911
    Go into Sounds and Notifications
    Check this out:
    http://www.4shared.com/get/32880079/.../Profiles.html

This is the Windows Mobile profile addon. The program has a Today plugin and you configure it through START MENU >> SETTINGS >> PROFILES.

There are like 9 profiles you can set up and swap between. Once you set one up and enable it, you can switch to it via the Today plugin. You can also make a profile active via the Settings program. Took me forever to find that.

Phones
    Nexus 4
    LG G2x - CM7 or MIUI
    Carrier
    Tmoble, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If that isn't exactly what you're looking for, then what is?

There are ALL kinds of profile programs out there... what I posted was just the official Microsoft app. It doesn't contain every bell and whistle, but works. If you don't like that one, simply find one you do like. Just google for it.

You mention difficulty operating the phone, have you tried the solutions over at the Epix Hack and Findings thread? http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1448980

In there I mention a Volume button fix, that changes the side buttons to up/down actions. Helps a lot. Also a program called FTouchSL... which really eases up manipulating through long scroll lists. Also is a "chgFingerMouse" app which I would advise mapping to your Calendar button, which swaps the optical sensor between Mouse and Dpad settings on the fly, in any app.

Those 3 apps make a world of difference. I'll make sure they get included when we make a custom ROM for the Epix, so they'll be there by default.

Also check out my latest homescreen: http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...&postcount=380

It uses a Freeware homescreen plugin called "rlToday". I uploaded my skin which just gets copied to the rlToday directory. The skin is VERY basic, but has a great look to it. It simply has the Time, date, carrier, and a few BIG buttons for messages.

Looks great, finger friendly, very speedy, and above all... Simple.

You'd be surprised how much easier the Epix is to operate with a few simple tweaks.