Phones
    Sony Ericsson Z310a
    LG Optimus 2X
    Carrier
    Telus Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Getting a Blackberry 8220 "Flip" on fido

hey everybody

I am currently on a PAYG with a cheap flip (sony 310a) and have wanted to upgrade to a smartphone for a while now (or anything with a qwerty keyboard really).

I don't plan on any internet use so PAYG should not be a problem.

I've been seeing a lot about the flip recently and it seems to be a pretty great phone

What i want to know is if it is possible to get the rogers flip on fido. i find it a pretty good deal for $350. Can i get to work out the box or am i better off finding an unlocked version online?

Also, do i need to worry about it automatically going online for things? i wouldn't want to be surprised by extra charges other than SMS and calls.

Thanks for the help

Phones
    Motorola RAZR HD
    Nokia Lumia 521
    Samsung Galaxy S
    Carriers
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    It will need to be unlocked if you want it to work with Fido. I'm not too familiar with the unlocking process for BBs, so someone else will need to fill in the cracks there for you. Also, the BlackBerry Pearl Flip does not have a true QWERTY keyboard. It has SureType (two letters per key).

Phones
    BB BOLD
    Palm Centro
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Unlocking a blackberry is pretty simple. You need to purchase the code and follow the instructions on how to enter it.

If I were you I'd wait until at least December as there are rumours about the bb flip coming to fido.

Phone
    Nokia E71
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    i dont really understand why you want the BlackBerry if you don't plan to use it for much more than talk and text... those phones are meant for use with Blackberry service and internet. you should see it in person too, it's quite large. not very pocket-friendly.

Phones
    Sony Ericsson Z310a
    LG Optimus 2X
    Carrier
    Telus Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny_L
    i dont really understand why you want the BlackBerry if you don't plan to use it for much more than talk and text... those phones are meant for use with Blackberry service and internet. you should see it in person too, it's quite large. not very pocket-friendly.
    Actually, the Flip is pretty much perfect for my uses, as it doesn't have nearly as much corporate functionality as the curve or bold. It and all the pearls are focused more on the regular consumer (ie: me)

The reason i like the flip is because I'm looking for a non-T9 phone. I've used the suretype before and i don't have any issues with it. Texting is actually not my main reason for this, my phone is the only thing i keep with me other than my wallet, so what i need is basically a old-fashioned PDA; ie:short note taking, to-do lists, calendering (no sync required, as right now i have no calendering at all) and finally a little bit of text.

As for size, i previously went a year with a PSP as my primary MP3 player, so size is fine, and actually i have a tendency to lose things, so the size it a plus.

additionally the suretype on the 8220 is nearly twice the size of the regular pearl, so the flip ends up serving me even better.

Apart from the 8220, i've been watching the E63 closely and basically any other budget qwerty smartphone (I've realized that those words don't go together much...).

Anyways, at this point i'll wait a couple months and see if the tea-leaf readings at BGR are accurate... they say the flip will come to fido in Q1.

i'll just wait and see