Thread: How to get chinese phones to work on Verizon

Phones
    LG Versa
    Lg enV
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

How to get chinese phones to work on Verizon

So if you go to Alibaba.com you can find TONS of these cheap knock off Chinese phones there and just ask the suppliers for a "sample". Then They send you one phone. I was wondering if its possible to get one of their CDMA phones to work with verizon. Has anyone done this? I know the phone may be garbage, but it may be great. Who knows! lol

Feedback Score
    No. Verizon only allows activation of devices they sell. That's how their system is set up. Occasionally an Alltel or Sprint phone might get activated, but that's because its MEID/ESN was in the same range Verizon's phones are in.

Phones
    LG Versa
    Lg enV
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    booo. Thats too bad

Feedback Score
    Yeah. It would be pretty cool if we could though. Most of China's CDMA phones use R-UIM cards, kind of like SIM-cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ParthG
    Most of China's CDMA phones use R-UIM cards
    It's a shame VZW doesn't use these, and with their paternalistic practices (I guess that's their Ma Bell roots showing) it might never happen.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I thought if you loaded a VZW PRL you'd be able to activate the phone? I'm not familiar with these chinese made CDMA phones so I'm not too sure. Why don't you get one. If it's a sample and you don't have to pay for it, what is there to lose?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serifan
    It's a shame VZW doesn't use these, and with their paternalistic practices (I guess that's their Ma Bell roots showing) it might never happen.
    Yeah, more money for VZW if they can control what devices we use.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Not to justify their restrictive practices, but they do have to honor the FCC requirement that phones they activate support e911, which for U.S. CDMA providers, means aGPS. This pretty much rules out foreign CDMA phones. U.S. GSM providers use a (less accurate) technique of triangulation with nearby cell sites to satisfy the e911 requirement, so there is not a problem with foreign GSM phones being activated in the U.S.

Phones
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    903sh, p905i, sh-06a, sh9010c,f906i
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    maybe same method korean phones are activated?

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aw614
    maybe same method korean phones are activated?
    My understanding is that some grey-market providers alter the ESN of imported phones so that they look like a domestic model. Blatantly illegal, but that doesn't stop anything.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yep, copying the ESN from a phone already activated on Verizon is the only way it would work. and because these phones use RUIM cards, that may not even work.