Thread: Question about Softbank's iPhone APN

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Softbank
    Feedback Score

Question about Softbank's iPhone APN

Alright, I have a somewhat odd question to ask about Softbank's new iPhone data service...

I recently upgraded to an iPhone and was curious if anyone knows if it's possible to use the new access point information along with the SIM from the iPhone (Softbank uses different SIMs for iPhone users) in another phone... I don't have another phone to test this with or I'd do it myself.

With the new plan, it seems that the access point changed.
    It's no longer open.softbank.ne.jp (which I knew worked with any phone)
    The information for the iPhone APN, which I extracted from the .plist in the carrier files on the phone itself, are:

APN: smile.world
    User: dna1trop
    PW: so2t3k3m2a

Many thanks if someone figures this out, hopefully someone else is curious about this too.

Phones
    Sharp SH0902C
    Sharp 903 (Euro; dead after 4.3 years of use)
    Carrier
    Three Australia
    Feedback Score
    Love their choice of APN naming for the iPhone.

My gut feeling would be no, due to the different USIMs they're probably hard-coded not to even see the regular APN. But I haven't tested it myself so I can't say. Would be great to hear from someone that has.

Incidentally, do you know all of the connection information for Softbank's regular phones, apart from only the APN? Virtually everyone on the forum here has been wanting to know that information for ages, but no-one will post it.
    AL
    Mobile: Sharp SH0902C

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    Yeah no kidding on the APN name... Engrish much?
    I'm not worried about using open.softbank as I already have that information (hint, hint, PM me for info)... I'm more worried about trying to use smile.world with any phone other than the iPhone.

Phone
    iPhone 1.1.3 4.3.13G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm the apn settings to work with my iPhone 3G as well. I inserted a Gevey Plus "turbo" sim card and inserted the apn settings you provided and my data now works. I'm just worried about the fact that I have to turn on Roaming to get it to work. When roaming is disabled, I no longer have data.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    Wait, are you saying you tested it with a non-Softbank iPhone 3G and a Softbank SIM?
    Or are you saying you tested it with a Softbank iPhone 3G with a foreign SIM and the Gevey unit?
    Or are you using a Softbank iPhone 3G with an OLD Softbank SIM? (Pre-iPhone, the gray colored one, not the black one)
    Can you test the APN with a phone other than an iPhone?
    Last edited by Voltic; 11-18-2008 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Forgot a possibility!

Carriers
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    What would be the plus side to using smile.world on non-iPhone phones? Does the iPhone have a better flat-rate package?

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    Well, I don't know about anyone else with an iPhone with Softbank, but I was pretty much forced to change over to the iPhone data plan when I bought it.
    It was actually cheaper for me because I was on the $10-100 data plan that was marketed along with the X-series phones about a year and a half ago.
    Regardless though, knowledge is power... it'd be nice to know if the smile.world APN works with other phones.
    I was actually considering picking up one of the Nokia S60 phones, but my data plan is pretty much my conduit to the rest of the world.

Phone
    iPhone 1.1.3 4.3.13G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, I broke the Gevey chip yesterday. I stuck it in another softbank phone and it was a very tight fit. I was able to use that phone and finally clear all the info on it. I had a *tch of a time trying to get it out. Then I stuck it into one of my Docomo Foma's and it didn't work anymore. On close inspection, I scrapped that top of the Gevey chip, which is what I think killed it.

So, yes the Gevey will unlock other phones, but you will have fitment issues.

I was using an official softbank iPhone with the Gevey chip. When you stick the official chip with the official phone and a Gevey chip. You still have to add the APN settings. The next thing I was going to do was to test it with a Docomo chip. I was going to test an AU chip as well, even though it shouldn't technically work.
    I have a replacement coming and I will do further testing once I receive it.

Phone
    iPhone 3G
    Carriers
    Softbank
    Feedback Score
    Oh okay, I'm trying to test the APN with a Softbank iPhone SIM and any random phone other than an iPhone... if you can do that, let me know what you find!

Phones
    SoftBank Sharp 934SH (Japan)
    Nokia E55 (Europe)
    Siemens S75 (Europe)
    Carriers
    Softbank
    NW-GSM
    Feedback Score
    Can you give a hint:
    1)Can I use this AP on NOKIA with usual SoftBank SIM?

What are APN/passwords for
    1)Mobile (WAP) internet
    2)S!Mail (MMS)
    ?

I know "external APN "softbank"/ai@softbank, but it kills my bank account with horrible rates.