Thread: Touch Diamond or Touch 3G?

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Singtel
    Feedback Score

Touch Diamond or Touch 3G?

Currently using the 1st gen Touch, 201Mhz OMAP CPU and 64MB RAM. Slow as hell

Since it's dying, I'm changing to either Diamond or 3G. Was considering the new Touch HD till I realised I dun need that big a screen since I rarely surf on my phone nor do I watch much videos on it. I'm gearing more towards responsive apps launch than anything else.

Main usage is Word, Excel, Calender, SMS, Calls. When I'm at work, I'd leave Calender, Calculator, SMS apps running in the background for quick launch.

Diamond has sharper screens from what I read but 3G is faster due to 2D flo instead of 3D flo used in Diamond. Thing is, how much faster is 3G than Diamond in terms of launching speeds and all? The ratio justifies the sharper screen Diamond has? Not to mention battery life which is very important.

Diamond is ard $100 more expensive than 3G here in Singapore

Feedback Score

Diamond!

Touch Diamond has everything you need and long battery life too... have a look:
    http://www.mypocketpcmobile.com/Full...7/Default.aspx

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Singtel
    Feedback Score
    Diamond has a long bettery life? You sure?

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    here's a comparison that i did between the 3G and the Diamond

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=2526

it showed that they are almost exactly the same phone, except the diamond have a resolution, while the 3G have a larger battery, which mean it will last longer. The only thing stopping me from getting the 3G is the styling of the phone (and the obivious lack of US 3G), or I would be all over it, since it's a lot cheaper than the Diamond, and to tell the truth, i don't really use the TF3D on my Diamond at all, have it turned off the third day i got my diamond.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    No The Diamond Does Not Have A Long Battery Life And I Can Vouch For That... I Could Barely Make It Thru Half The Day On Just Textin Before The Battery Was Drained

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    kinda crazy to base speed of the device on whether it comes with TouchFlo 2D or 3D... you can run either on either, AND, you don't have to run NEITHER... which will be the fastest of all... many of us simply have disabled TouchFlo and are much happier for it...

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41c, HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    actually it does kinda make a bit of sense. tf2d is less resource intensive then the tf3d is. so it would slow the processor less, use less ram, etc etc etc.
    but yeah... like has been mentioned, not everybody even uses the touchflo.

I guess that part of the equation would be on whether or not you want the 3g speed or not. The Touch HD doesnt have american 3g available to it (GAWD!!! What IS it with the FCC not letting so many of these new phones pass thru standards with nam 3g standards nowadays??? Seems like anything that doesn't have a carrier brand is having a hard time getting over here!!)

another consideration would be if you want to have the extra hard keys or not. I have a Touch Pro (similar to the Diamond, but with some extras) and I gotta say that I really like having the the d-pad there for scrolling through file lists and menus.
    the hard key there in the center is nice to have too for selecting from before-mentioned lists and menus.

Agreed tho, the battery on the diamond and touch pro IS lacking.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II I9100M
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf
    Agreed tho, the battery on the diamond and touch pro IS lacking.
    Out of the box, yes. But with the right radio and ROM, its possible to get 2-3 days of light use out of a touch pro.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    DarkeWolf, I don't know what you were or were not doing to your touch diamond. I can run mine all day and generally only use a quarter of the battery. I've used the MP3 player at work for almost 8 straight hours and still had half my battery life. The max I've gotten out of it was 3 days, but that was very light use.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41c, HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedi
    DarkeWolf, I don't know what you were or were not doing to your touch diamond. I can run mine all day and generally only use a quarter of the battery. I've used the MP3 player at work for almost 8 straight hours and still had half my battery life. The max I've gotten out of it was 3 days, but that was very light use.
    Actually, mine is a Touch Pro, not the Diamond. I do a lot of stuff like Word documents, web browsing, a few texts here and there, usually use speakerphone when I'm on calls, and every now and then some google maps.
    I know that the word, google, and stuff like that takes more processing power, and thus, more battery power. As does using the speakerphone since it has to power the mic and external speaker.
    One thing that REALLY drains my batt is listening to mp3's. Both that sprint and wm player are both drainers.
    But I also have MagicCall running in the background, to manage my call accept/call block list. So having that running constantly may also be part of it.

Have you done any tweaks to yours? Or running a custom rom? I've gotta admit, you're getting a really good batt life, specially for a smartphone with 3g.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf
    Actually, mine is a Touch Pro, not the Diamond. I do a lot of stuff like Word documents, web browsing, a few texts here and there, usually use speakerphone when I'm on calls, and every now and then some google maps.
    I know that the word, google, and stuff like that takes more processing power, and thus, more battery power. As does using the speakerphone since it has to power the mic and external speaker.
    One thing that REALLY drains my batt is listening to mp3's. Both that sprint and wm player are both drainers.
    But I also have MagicCall running in the background, to manage my call accept/call block list. So having that running constantly may also be part of it.

Have you done any tweaks to yours? Or running a custom rom? I've gotta admit, you're getting a really good batt life, specially for a smartphone with 3g.
    actually, it look like the web browsing is draining your battery, that's what happened with both my diamond and fuze, and no cooked rom will fix that problem. I should said that you should be happy you are getting that much battery out of it though doing so much stuff, i'm really pissed right now with the iphone i just got, the battery won't even last me through mid day. i really should have stayed with my fuze...

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have the unlocked European version on T-Mobile so I'm not getting 3G speeds. No tweeks just the latest ROM update from HTC. I use handy switcher to keep my RAM in check. And I don't use mine on a daily basis, in the same manor you described in your post. I use mine mostly as a multimedia device. And school work. I don't have the push mail on, I very rarely use the speaker phone. I only get on the internet when I need information and I'm not near my computer, unless I need to log on to the school site to check something. But I use mine with the approach that I know the battery life is not great, but I haven't had an issue yet and I've had it since August.

I love my phone and wouldn't trade it for any on the market.