Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Dish interfering with reception?

Phone
    T-Mobile G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Satellite Dish interfering with reception?

This is an odd problem I've had for YEARS but have never addressed until now because, yeah...

Everytime I go to my friend's or uncle's house, I lose reception. They both have direct tv satellite's perched up in there houses and it does seem to lose reception when I am below the satellite.

Yes I have checked the coverage maps, everything is A-OK.

Thanks for the help

Phones
    T-Mobile Dash (about to resell)
    T-mobile G1
    Carrier
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    There's a device on the dish called a Low Noise Blocker (LNB). It grabs the signal off the dish and sends it down the COAX to the receiver. This is the only item on the dish that's even powered and even now it's only powered by a smaller current coming from the COAX. I can't see this causing interference. Other than that, the dish is a big piece of metal. I can't really see this being an issue unless it's in an area blocking the signal from coming in the house.

Maybe within a 10 foot radius I could see this as an issue, but I could see a specific type of insulation or building material being a larger culprit. What happens when you goto the furthest place in the house away from the dish?

Phones
    Nokia E65
    Nokia 6263
    Carriers
    T-Mobile currently.
    Was a Sprint customer from 1999-2003. You couldn't pay me to use Sprint again.
    Feedback Score
    I have Dish Network, and a friend of mine has DirecTV. I've never had a reception problem at either of our houses, and neither has he (I'm on T-Mo, he's AT&T).
    MacBook Pro tethered to Nokia 6263 via Bluetooth
    (waiting for the 3G)
    This area of town seems to be slow
    (For some reason Speedtest thinks I'm in London while tethered)

Comcast Cable at home via WiFi

Phones
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Stolen - iPhone 3G, V620, Krzr, W810i, Dash. Gotta love NY
    MPx 300 *****es!!
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I used to have a dish, never had a problem either.

Phones
    HTC Amaze 4G
    HTC Amaze 4G
    Motorola Defy
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I have dishnetwork and have used my phone while aiming the dish, so no problems here.

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremein motion
    Everytime I go to my friend's or uncle's house, I lose reception. They both have direct tv satellite's perched up in there houses and it does seem to lose reception when I am below the satellite.
    I vote for ineffective satellite installations - your friend and uncle could have the same flaw. Other posters have testified that they see no problems with satellite systems.

The piece on the arm in front of the dish was once known as a "Low Noise Block Converter and Amplifier" and is today referred to as an "LNB." The satellite signal arrives at the dish as a weak signal in the 11-13 GHz frequency range. The signal goes down the coax as a relatively strong signal in the 0.20 - 2.2 GHz range to the satellite receiver. The signal goes from the satellite receiver to the TV set as a strong signal from 66-72 MHz, typical.

Since cell phones operate near 0.850 GHz and 1.900 GHz - I would point you at the coax. Is it old? Leaky? Connectors corroded? Bulkhead fittings on the satellite receiver and LNB busted? Maybe an amplifier associated with the coax has aged and fallen into oscillation?

Maybe the channels your friend and uncle favor just happen to be on the coax at a frequency your cell needs.

(Corrosion between dissimilar metals can produce "diode action" and allota strange things can happen.)
    Regards

Phone
    T-Mobile G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It probably is the installation, there boxes and satellites are pretty old and such as well, again nothing I'm worrying about, just something I've always been curious

I forgot to mention, I do have dish network and the reception is fine, 3g is spotty in my house, but I don't have my g1 anymore

*shrugs*

Phones
    Samsung Behold
    Blackberry 8120
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It could be a poor crimp job on the coax connectors or bad connection at one of the junction/grounding blocks causing RF leakage that could be causing interference. Not very likely, but possible. I would look more at things like foil backed decking material on the roof.

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Nexus 4
    HTC Sensation
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremein motion
    This is an odd problem I've had for YEARS but have never addressed until now because, yeah...

Yes I have checked the coverage maps, everything is A-OK.
    Doubt it's the Satellite Dish, more likely is they either have siding on the house that is killing the signal, or they have insulated windows. Some of the insulated windows actually have a thin layer of metal in them that often blocks some RF signal. I have a couple of friends of mine that this is the case. Good signal outside, walk through the door of their home and poof, it's gone. One house used to have decent signal outside and when I went inside it was a bit weaker, but since they had the windows replaced there is no signal at all inside. Someone more technically minded than me can reply but I think the high frequencies that T-Mobile uses (1900Mhz) are much more prone to be blocked by various building materials than carriers that primarily operate around the 800 band.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have two Dish Network satellite dishes on my home - a standard Dish 1000 that allows up to 4 connections on the 110 and 119 satellites. That one was later replaced by the Super Dish 121 which adds access to the 121 satellite for international programming. Had service for years and cancelled about a year ago. The dishes are still there - both of them - unused. The entire time, I've had T-Mobile service and never noticed a degradation of my service whether I had service active or not.

As others have pointed out, merely having the service itself is clearly not a dead give-away for issues. If anything, poorly installed cabling, or old defective equipment would be the only conceivable issue that would cause you interference. Even then it sounds fairly unlikely.

If you really want to know, and the home owner wants to appease your curiosity, unplug ALL of their receivers from the power outlet. This will eliminate the power source for the LNB and hence all transmission over the coax cables will cease. If your T-Mobile service is restored shortly after that, then you know the source of the problem is the Dish installation. They can probably call Dish and demand that a technician address the problem at that point. I would actually encourage them to do so as signals leaking are never a "good thing". Having a relatively high powered signal localized to their home could be equivalent to swimming and sleeping in a radio active pool you whole life.

--Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1
    Watch me on YouTube: AlexKidd4Fun

Phone
    N1 & G2 next up=Samsung Tab
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm..... I have dish network and no problems as long as I'm wearing my tinfoil hat.
    Unplugged Since 1999

Phones
    Unlocked Iphone, Blackberry 8310
    MT3G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Actually if there were corrosion or bad connections the system would be showing a 771 searching for satellite message on the TV, do to the receiver not being able to get the LNB to switch sats, and polarity. The receiver sends either 13 or 18 volts to the LNB and if needed a 22khz tone. If the LNB can't switch when it needs to because of corrosion or bad connections or even a shorted wire the receiver will put the searching for satellite message up because its not able to receive the proper sat, and polarity. I have been around about everything that can go wrong with Directv systems(used to install and troubleshoot and repair systems) and never had a problem with my phone. If you really want to check it, you can test for voltage by connecting a multimeter to the wire near the dish. The positive goes to the center wire, and the negative goes to the outside of the F connector. You should see it switching between 13 and 18 volts(easiest way to test lines when I needed to see if the receiver was sending voltage)
    "I'm not fat I'm big boned."- Cartman

"Maaaaaa kitty is being a dildo!"- Cartman

Well I know a little kitty kitty who is sleeping with mommy tonight."Cartmans mom

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kd7ctv
    Actually if there were corrosion or bad connections ...
    The OP did not report any trouble with the satellite system ... he said he loses reception on his cell near the satellite dish. I opined that he was enjoying RF interferance from the feedline.
    Regards

Phones
    Unlocked Iphone, Blackberry 8310
    MT3G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice
    I would point you at the coax. Is it old? Leaky? Connectors corroded? Bulkhead fittings on the satellite receiver and LNB busted? Maybe an amplifier associated with the coax has aged and fallen into oscillation?

(Corrosion between dissimilar metals can produce "diode action" and allota strange things can happen.)
    Regards
    And What I am saying is that if your opinion was the case they would be having issues with the satellite system as well not just his phone. These systems are delicate in regards to the voltage they send. If the receiver is sending 18 volts down the line to switch to the even polarity on whatever satellite it needs. If the LNB doesn't receive that 18 volts it will not switch. You will have the 771(searching for satellite signal) message show up on the screen for that channel. As I have said I have dealt with anything that can go wrong with these systems on service calls working for Directv. I have replaced connectors and coax due to issues with corrosion and being old, or just shorted out. It isn't enough to cause issues with cell phones or I would have been dropping all sorts of calls when I was outside working on systems while on the job.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derekedw
    There's a device on the dish called a Low Noise Blocker (LNB). It grabs the signal off the dish and sends it down the COAX to the receiver. This is the only item on the dish that's even powered and even now it's only powered by a smaller current coming from the COAX. I can't see this causing interference. Other than that, the dish is a big piece of metal. I can't really see this being an issue unless it's in an area blocking the signal from coming in the house.

Maybe within a 10 foot radius I could see this as an issue, but I could see a specific type of insulation or building material being a larger culprit. What happens when you goto the furthest place in the house away from the dish?

I have had the opposite problem before. Whenever I would get a call or text message, the satellite signal would go nuts and pop in and out.
    My Plan:
    Simple Choice Unlimited Talk + Text + Web
    Line 1: Unlimited 4G Data + 500 MB HotSpot
    Line 2: 2.5 GB 4G data/HotSpot

ALIQVA LOCVTIO DEMENS LATINA IN TRANSVERSVM SCRIPTA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast