Virgin Mobile (Sprint)
    Att Pay as you go
    T-mobile.

Next year sometime.
    Pageplus (Verizon)
    Att Pay as you go
    T-mobile
    Virgin Mobile. (Sprint)

With the exception of tracphone or net10 service. I am comparing the whole state of Indiana with each of the coverage map.

Att & T-mobile have about the same coverage area and are tied in either group. The reason they moved up, is the centennial wireless merger, that should increase both of there coverage area.

Currently Pageplus (Verizon) has more coverage than Virgin Mobile.

Virgin I hate to say this. Even with a 20 cent per minute call. It is a little better then page plus but not much. Northern Indiana you would have coverage, southern Indiana you would not. If you do not use over 70 minutes a month this might be a could deal. It comes out to about $6.67 a month.

T-mobile plan is a little better. It comes out to about 8.33 a month, that if you use less than 130 minute

Gophone plan is not that great. You really can not figure out the money cost without taxes and fees it would also come to $8.33 a month that if you under 80 minutes in a 3 month period.

Remember, I am comparing this coverage to Indiana.

Do you agree?

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    I'd have to terminate your contract...
    And that would mean an Evil ETF!
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, T-Mobile 2Go will roam automatically or manually on Centennial. You can't do that from an AT&T GoPhone.

Virgin is VERY strong all along the I-65 corridor, from north to south.

Page Plus, Verizon INPulse, and Tracfone on Verizon all have the same basic coverage area, and it is generally pretty good. I have had a LOT of complaints from people I call from a Verizon-based phone about them hearing their own voice echoing. I haven't tried it on INPulse, but it has been true of both Page Plus and Tracfone/Net10 on Verizon. Not sure if it was the phone or the carrier, but it has happened on at least 3 different phone models, so my guess is that it's the carrier.

T-Mobile can be bought (for a minimal user) for $40 per year by buying a $10 card every 90 days. That would only provide 120 minutes (per YEAR), but I was talking about a minimal user there. Once you've spent $100 on T-Mobile, you end up in Gold Rewards status and only have to buy a $10 card every YEAR to keep service active.

Virgin can be had for $5/month with the auto top-up plan at $15 every 90 days. SugarMama bonus minutes can be added to that for up to 75 minutes per month.

Tracfone can be milked in various ways, but the standard retail rack rate would be $20 every 90 days.

Page Plus minimum would be $10 every 120 days.

Centennial Wireless offers its own prepaid plan, but frankly, their prices are ridiculous.

Don't forget 7/11 Speakout Wireless, although you probably wouldn't be able to find a phone in Indiana - I've checked in various locations in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Ohio, but I bought mine in Florida. I could have bought one in downtown Chicago once, but didn't.

US Cellular probably has some Indiana coverage, but not a whole lot.
    I guess I don't know the right people, because I can't get away with anything around here... Rest assured, though, I will never maliciously properly quote anybody again!

Feedback Score
    Gophone can roam on Centennial. Someone in Fort wayne said they have the gophone pay as you go plans and roams on Centennial Wireless. This was on att gophone own forum (Not Howard forums). Att Bought Centennial Wireless

I was using the gophone coverage map. T-mobile coverage, Virgin mobile coverage map and the gophone coverage map.

Maybe Virgin needs to update the coverage map. I thought Virgin mobile required $20.00 top-up every 90 (Technically 89 days) days.

Echo problem. There is a fix for that. If you can get into the nam setting voice option. Choose voice 13k QCELP. Tell the same to the other parties. It would also echo for some people if using a speaker phone-depends on the model.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    The people hearing the echo have all been on land lines. Ironically, one of them was T-Mobile's Customer Service department. Annoyingly, I'm positive that ALL the other callers were on landlines. I called them... And pretty sure they weren't trying to use speaker phones.

T-Mobile has been roaming on Centennial for a really long time. I'm not sure what effect AT&T buying Centennial might have in the long run on that setup. Have you confirmed through business news sites that AT&T did in fact buy Centennial? Interesting....

Coverage maps are notoriously NOT where to look for coverage experience. Sometimes they are accurate, but other times they're not updated often enough to be useful.

VIrgin's top-up requirement of $15 every 90 days is only available if you have registered a credit card with their auto topup program. Otherwise, you're correct, it would be $20 every 90 days. However, if you add three $20 cards within a few days time, you will end up being enrolled in their annual program. Virgin has a lot of "hidden" deals that are not listed in their regular literature. Another annoyance...

Feedback Score
    To me it sound like Virgin has more coverage then the map of Indiana shows.

On the merger. I read a news report off the web. They said they bought Centennial wireless.

However, according to the ATT forum. It is pending regulatory approval. Myself, I think it will go through without no restrictions. ATT even with that added coverage area. It still not big as Verizon is.

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    In general, I've been satisfied with Virgin's coverage in Indiana. I have NOT traveled much to NorthEASTERN Indiana however (including the Ft. Wayne area). Otherwise, I've pretty much "wandered Indiana" pretty extensively. Went through Northeastern Indiana on the toll road last summer and had a good old time with all my phones and my AT&T USB aircard on its 30-day free trial.

Dead spots in Indiana, devoid of ANY carrier's coverage: Boswell, Indiana. Morocco, Indiana has improved somewhat of late but is still pretty bad for GSM carriers. Kentland Indiana. Lake Village Indiana. (In other words - the US-41 corridor between Lafayette and Hammond). Shades and Turkey Run State Parks (UGH UGH UGH) There is NOBODY in those two parks!!!!

In Southern Indiana about 1-1/2 years ago, I found a spot where T_Mobile allowed roaming on AT&T. Simply amazing!!! In the Madison area.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is buying Centennial in the second quarter of 2009. Confirmed on more than one site, also on CellGuru.

Phones
    Samsung T201G
    Motorola W376
    BlackBerry 8703e
    Carriers
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CSI_Nut
    In general, I've been satisfied with Virgin's coverage in Indiana. I have NOT traveled much to NorthEASTERN Indiana however (including the Ft. Wayne area). Otherwise, I've pretty much "wandered Indiana" pretty extensively. Went through Northeastern Indiana on the toll road last summer and had a good old time with all my phones and my AT&T USB aircard on its 30-day free trial.

Dead spots in Indiana, devoid of ANY carrier's coverage: Boswell, Indiana. Morocco, Indiana has improved somewhat of late but is still pretty bad for GSM carriers. Kentland Indiana. Lake Village Indiana. (In other words - the US-41 corridor between Lafayette and Hammond). Shades and Turkey Run State Parks (UGH UGH UGH) There is NOBODY in those two parks!!!!

In Southern Indiana about 1-1/2 years ago, I found a spot where T_Mobile allowed roaming on AT&T. Simply amazing!!! In the Madison area.

Mr. Nut, have you tried a CDMA phone in those areas? Sometimes one carrier has towers where others have chosen not to serve. As for the state parks, most do not allow towers in their confines -- if it is a large park and you are in the middle, you are usually SOL. Use walkie-talkies to communicate or get a satellite phone (and find a clear area to call).

Phones
    If I told 'ya.....
    Carriers
    I've used them all...
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127
    Mr. Nut, have you tried a CDMA phone in those areas? Sometimes one carrier has towers where others have chosen not to serve. As for the state parks, most do not allow towers in their confines -- if it is a large park and you are in the middle, you are usually SOL. Use walkie-talkies to communicate or get a satellite phone (and find a clear area to call).

In the particular state park of choice, I have tried 3 different CDMA carriers and 2 different GSM carriers. One of the GSM carriers was a freely-roaming T-Mo2Go, and showed no GSM carriers available in its network list. The other of course was AT&T, and it showed no signal either. Since Trac doesn't offer a Centennial SIM, my only means of testing Centennial in that park would have been on the T-Mo2Go phone. I'm not ante'ing up Centennial's prepaid prices to test their native coverage! The CDMA carriers were a Virgin on Sprint, a Tracfone on Verizon, and a Tracfone on US Cellular.

Yes, it's probably a state park thing - all the carriers have decent enough coverage in the nearest town, although the "nearest town" isn't exactly "near," LOL!.

In my favorite *closest* park to where my top-secret location usually is, Sprint is the only carrier that maintains a signal. Verizon tries and sometimes succeeds (Verizon seems to work better when it's on a contract phone...), and AT&T drops out in the front of the park and doesn't work at all in the back. Alltel roams to Verizon with similar results to a Trac on Verizon. USCellular also roams to Verizon. And T-Mobile drops out completely before entry into that park. THAT park shouldn't have trouble getting towers placed outside the park that would work inside the park, however, it's probably just the lack of general population in that area that makes is not a priority for the carriers.

We've used 2-way radios for in-park communication, but I'm not in the tax bracket for a satellite phone, lol!

Feedback Score
    One park, said "It so you can get away from everyday life" that why they do not have cell towers. I do think they have some type of Emergency phone or Walkie Talking they give campers to use. However, the fix would be simple. Increase the power of other towers that are outside of the park.

Feedback Score
    I just found a plan that might beat pageplus.

http://www.stimobile.com/

stimobile has a 8.9 Nice data rate as well. Need to be in a good sprint coverage area.

Phone
    LG VX5500 X2 (PPC) - LG800g (TF) - Nokia 6030 (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Page Plus X2 (Verizon) - T-Mo2Go(GR) -
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I just found a plan that might beat pageplus.

http://www.stimobile.com/

stimobile has a 8.9 Nice data rate as well. Need to be in a good sprint coverage area.

There has to be some reason Sprint lost 1.3 million customers last quarter.