Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Samsung Omnia - MSM7500 400mhz CPU instead of Marvell 624mhz CPU = SUCKS

Phones
    Samsung Omnia
    Motorola i570 (work)
    LG VX9900 (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chizzy58
    ACTUALLY
    i have the phone

in settings --- about:

processor: ARM920T PXA 312
    I have the omnia in hand and I can confiirm this as well.

I also have the Saga until I return it and I'm fairly confident it doesn't have 256 mb ram. I don't recall the exact number but I posted the info in the i770 thread.

Phones
    Droid
    Tour
    Palm Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    wow....sorry to be so quick on the hate draw integrate...wonder how bad this will affect performance, or for those omnia owners if they will see anything at all....

Phones
    Omnia
    RAZR V3M - Backup
    E815 - Retired
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So for us newbies, what does this mean ? Good or bad ? I just bought my Omnia based on what I've read here, and it'll be here tomorrow.... I was hoping nothing would be posted that would disappoint me

Phone
    Wanting Omnia i910
    Carrier
    Verizon Wirele$$
    Feedback Score
    according to this site about the processor it says it can go up to 624mhz?

thoughts?

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=cpu&id=a312

Phones
    BB Tour
    Samsung Omnia (collecting dust)
    XV6900 (broken)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    it runs at 624mhz, as do all other versions of the omnia

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the clear up, guys. Looks like this may be the processor being used?

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=cpu&id=a312

Phones
    Droid
    Tour
    Palm Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    if and when windows 7 comes along, I wonder if this will be upgradeable or not.

Phones
    DROID
    iPhone 4S, Gnex
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackthejanitor
    if and when windows 7 comes along, I wonder if this will be upgradeable or not.
    dont think so..as it sounds like winmo 7 will be for new devices only. no upgrades. on the windows mobile blog, one of the developers wrote this (note point #3):

Folks,

My name is Khush and I am from the Windows Mobile team.

Let me take this opportunity to respond to some of the questions raised:

1. IE Mobile 6 is expected to show up in devices at the end of 2008 or early 2009.

2. We understand your concerns about bringing IE 6 to the Windows Mobile platform. The features we deliver aren’t always articulated and defined by version numbers. For instance, although this release is called Internet Explorer Mobile 6, there are components from other versions of Internet Explorer for the desktop. One example of that is the support for Jscript v5.7 which we brought over from Internet Explorer 8 for the desktop.

3. Regarding making IE Mobile available as a separate download or update, the rich media experiences that IE Mobile 6 enables require more powerful, advanced devices. That is why it will not be available as an upgrade or direct download for current phones, but rather will be made available on new phones.

Link to the Windows Mobile Blog

Phones
    Motorla DROID
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    Samsung Omina i910
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hmm

So is it 624 or 400?

---
    Mobile Technology Deals
    http://mobiletech.knguyentu.com/

Phones
    Droid A855 by Motorola; Blackberry Storm
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910
    HTC Apache Brick of Doom Edition - retired
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dikiem
    Hmm

So is it 624 or 400?

I think its been established in this thread that the omnia does not use the msm7500 but the px312

Phones
    Droid
    Tour
    Palm Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    if thats the case then verizon has a lawsuit on their hands for false advertising, dont see how they would let that one slip by...I get the phone tommorow so I will know for sure.

edit: nevermind they listed the slower of the two on the website, on the other site they list the faster of the two, and according to two people here you have the middle processor, this is very confusing

Phones
    Motorla DROID
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    Samsung Omina i910
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jackthejanitor
    if thats the case then verizon has a lawsuit on their hands for false advertising, dont see how they would let that one slip by...I get the phone tommorow so I will know for sure.

edit: nevermind they listed the slower of the two on the website, on the other site they list the faster of the two, and according to two people here you have the middle processor, this is very confusing
    From the other thread someone took apart their Omnia....

Interesting...The TP uses the MSM7500A, while the samsung uses the older MSM6800A

No wonder it is cheaper. It was announced back in 2005!!

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/release..._sampling.html

So in another words, Sammy is weaker

http://www.linleygroup.com/npu/Newsl.../ce060413.html

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/release...onLCDChip.html

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Actually, I think you missed something (at least from what I can understand.)

The MSM6800a is simply a chipset while the MSM7500 is a chipset with an integrated 400mhz ARM11 processor.

So, the TP has an integrated chipset and processor (a 528mhz for MSM7500A and 400mhz for the MSM7500) while the Omnia uses the standalone chipset and a separate processor.

Also, that press release was for the original MSM6800 chipset rather than the MSM6800a version the omnia has (the A signifies a die shrink to 65nm and is a 2007 part.)
    Last edited by bull3964; 12-01-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Phone
    vx10000
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3964
    Actually, I think you missed something (at least from what I can understand.)

The MSM6800a is simply a chipset while the MSM7500a is a chipset with an integrated 400mhz ARM11 processor.

So, the TP has an integrated chipset and processor (a 400mhz one) while the Omnia uses the standalone chipset and a separate processor.

Also, that press release was for the original MSM6800 chipset rather than the MSM6800a version the omnia has (the A signifies a die shrink to 65nm and is a 2007 part.)
    The ARM11 processor for the MSM7500a is listed at 500mhz. I think you got the 400mhz from that link he posted, but that was in regards to the MSM7500. On http://www.scribd.com/doc/2605778/MSM7500A it shows the ARM11 as 500mhz. Weird, I know, but its from qualcomm. I assume its oced though, because the tp is listed as 528mhz like you said.

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinonice4
    The ARM11 processor for the MSM7500a is listed at 500mhz. I think you got the 400mhz from that link he posted, but that was in regards to the MSM7500. On http://www.scribd.com/doc/2605778/MSM7500A it shows the ARM11 as 500mhz. Weird, I know, but its from qualcomm. I assume its oced though, because the tp is listed as 528mhz like you said.
    I corrected above. From pdadb, 7500 is 400mhz and 7500a is 528mhz (max clock speed). This is common when you get a die shrink. In this case they went from 90nm to 65nm so the smaller processor runs cooler and consumes less power so they can up the clockspeed (no idea about the 28mhz difference though)

That sheet that you linked confirms what I thought earlier though. Notice how those convergence chips have both an ARM11 and ARM926 processor (chipset functions).

http://www.datasheetpro.com/817052_d...datasheet.html

The MSM6800 has just the ARM926 processor. So, that pretty much confirms that the MSM6800a that was shown in the breakdown is just the chipset and not the CPU as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast