Thread: Can my phone number be hijacked to make calls?

Phone
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Feedback Score

Question Can my phone number be hijacked to make calls?

I've been accused of making calls that I did not make. Apparently my number showed up in the caller ID. I've checked the list of calls made from my phone but the numbers I've been accused of calling doesn't show up. Can someone tell me what is going on?
    I'm using Sony Ericsson W810i.
    Thanks

Phones
    Treo 650
    iPhone 8gb
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AU1985
    I've been accused of making calls that I did not make. Apparently my number showed up in the caller ID. I've checked the list of calls made from my phone but the numbers I've been accused of calling doesn't show up. Can someone tell me what is going on?
    I'm using Sony Ericsson W810i.
    Thanks
    there are apps for some phones that allow you to change what the caller-id will look like when you make a call. so maybe someone put your number in as the change.....

having said that most of these apps still have the new number show up a little differently, so if you call someone with a changed number that they allready have as a contact it won't show up as "John Smith" it will show up as the number.

have you been accused of making calls by your ervice provider or by friends/ppl recieving these calls? because even if you used those apps i talked about it would not show up as minutes used by your service provider for your number.

the ONLY time i've heard of someone hacking their phone to be able to make calls using other peoples numbers AND minutes was on the Symbian OS (ont he nokia 6620 or 6680), and even that was EXTREMELY vague

Phones
    SE X2A
    SE X2a
    Sony Ericsson 750a
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is a technique called GSM Cloning -- look it up on the web -- it involves making another phone "look" like your phone by replicating your GSM SIM card. If that is the case -- and it is pretty rare -- you should report it to your service provider and get another SIM card -- which is probably prudent anyway.

Phone
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mackman6151
    there are apps for some phones that allow you to change what the caller-id will look like when you make a call. so maybe someone put your number in as the change.....

having said that most of these apps still have the new number show up a little differently, so if you call someone with a changed number that they allready have as a contact it won't show up as "John Smith" it will show up as the number.

have you been accused of making calls by your ervice provider or by friends/ppl recieving these calls? because even if you used those apps i talked about it would not show up as minutes used by your service provider for your number.

the ONLY time i've heard of someone hacking their phone to be able to make calls using other peoples numbers AND minutes was on the Symbian OS (ont he nokia 6620 or 6680), and even that was EXTREMELY vague
    I've been accused by a friend of calling his work number and hanging up on him, he also claimed that I called his secretary's mobile phone, he said my number showed up on the caller ID, but I don't even have the numbers that he said I called.

So if someone is using the apps you mentioned it won't show up in the phone record that I'm going to request from my service provider?

Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by AU1985; 12-01-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Phone
    Sony Ericsson W810i
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RJH57108
    There is a technique called GSM Cloning -- look it up on the web -- it involves making another phone "look" like your phone by replicating your GSM SIM card. If that is the case -- and it is pretty rare -- you should report it to your service provider and get another SIM card -- which is probably prudent anyway.
    Thanks, looking it up.
    Last edited by AU1985; 12-01-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Phones
    Treo 650
    iPhone 8gb
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AU1985
    I've been accused by a friend of calling his work number and hanging up on him, he also claimed that I called his secretary's mobile phone, he said my number showed up on the caller ID, but I don't even have the numbers that he said I called.

So if someone is using the apps you mentioned it won't show up in the phone record that I'm going to request from my service provider?

Thanks for your reply.
    asl long as the calls were not made from a phone sporting your SIM card it won't show up if they used the apps.

as for GSM Cloning, thats HIGHLY unlikely! wouldn't they need to have access to your specific sim card to replicate it? do you think someone would go to all that trouble just to piss off your friends?....either this friend is lying, OR someone is using the app.

if you get detailed billing look for the nmbers this friend says you called, if its not there then there is proof you didnt call. if you know you didnt call yourself but it is still showing up as a call made, then thats one of 2 cases:
    1) maybe in your pocket some buttons got pressed and it dialed (has happened to one of my friends that she kept calling my number because i was the last entry in her contacts and buttons got pressed in her knapsack. do you lock your keys?
    2) gsm cloning - which i HIGHLY doubt