Phones
    Blackberry Storm
    Blackberry Curve
    Treo 755p/750w/700wx
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SD69
    I would worry that something would go wrong with CS somehow. How many times have you done that? Any problems? Does the 5GB cap get pro-rated in those circumstances?
    I travel once or twice a month for a few days each time and I call and add the tether feature when I am leaving and have it taken off when I get back home.

I have never encountered a problem and pay around $1 each trip.

WELL WORTH IT!!!

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The VZW store rep you talked to was a *******. Tethering is a seperate but equal charge; the magic number is $60/month....if you have a $30 Blackberry data plan, then tethering will cost you an additional $30 per month; if you have a $45 Corporate email plan, then tethering will cost you an additional $15 per month...

...and I think it's funny that corporate-side reps actually badmouth indirect reps when we know VZW policy better than they do
    Low price, Excellent Service, High Quality. Pick any two, but you never get all three.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lgphoneman
    I have the Verizon BlackBerry® Nationwide Email & Messaging 1350 — 2-year plan and tethering for me is only $15 a month....you even get the first month free
    That's because the Verizon BlackBerry® Nationwide Email & Messaging plans includes BES, so the tethering upcharge is only $15.

Phones
    BB 9630 Tour
    BB 9530 Storm (Retired)
    BB 8130 Pearl (Retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I tether my Storm to my computer for almost 8 hours a day this is 5 days a week, I'm pretty heavy on web surfing (no real streaming however) and I get CONSTANT data incoming to my computer. Since the 21st Ive only used .3gb ... very insignificant IMO. You'll never reach the 5gb limit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SD69
    I would worry that something would go wrong with CS somehow. How many times have you done that? Any problems? Does the 5GB cap get pro-rated in those circumstances?
    Quite a people have done and do it regularly without any issues (it has come up in various posts on the topic in the past). And, yes, the 5 GB allowance is prorated just as the charges are, so that's something to keep an eye on.

Phones
    BlackBerry 9530 (Storm) (as of 08:10 11/21/08)
    LG 9900 EnV
    Carrier
    VerizonWireless
    Feedback Score

Question hmmm

I was told by the VZW rep when I purchased my BBStorm,
    that the tethering was an additional $15.. The tethering was
    free for 30 days, but then $15.00. I need to verify this.
    Has anyone else been told that?

It still amazes me that they say Unlimited both VZW and Sprint,
    but have a cap fo 5G.

There's a few weird things that changed. My old plan had everything
    including the vznavigator, I now see that there's a charge of
    $9.99 for the vznavigator. I'm sure I could do without at that
    price.

Phones
    BlackBerry Storm
    BlackBerry Pearl
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    if you're going to tether, you're total data cost will be 60 dollars as JP Whoreagain said.

I'm lucky - I get grandfathered in and pay 30 bucks for the data (BIS) and 15 for tethering - almost lost it when I was testing out the Dare (different data plans) but was able to get a rep to get my old rates back.

Phones
    Blackberry 8130 Pearl
    Motorola V710
    Motorola V551
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpjunky
    I was told by the VZW rep when I purchased my BBStorm,
    that the tethering was an additional $15.. The tethering was
    free for 30 days, but then $15.00. I need to verify this.
    Has anyone else been told that?

It still amazes me that they say Unlimited both VZW and Sprint,
    but have a cap fo 5G.

There's a few weird things that changed. My old plan had everything
    including the vznavigator, I now see that there's a charge of
    $9.99 for the vznavigator. I'm sure I could do without at that
    price.
    Interesting how much mis-information is out there between the Interent and VZ CS. I just looked at my bill and Unlimited Data (BIS) is $29.99 . Tethering (Broadband Connest UNL Data) is $15.00. VZ Navigator is/was $9.99 a month. I am not aware of any plan that gave it away for free.

Phone
    droid Nov 2010, time to start looking
    Carrier
    vzw
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    Why not simply add the tethering feature when you need it and remove it when you don't and just pay prorated charges? If you only need it for a day or two, add it and then remove it, and you'd only be charged a few dollars (if not less with a BB/PDA phone with a data feature already) for just those days. Seems like that would be even cheaper in cases like that and not against the TOS.
    Did not know you could just add and remove without a full months charge! I will absolutely do this from now on. Can I just add this via the vzw web site, or do I actually have to call CS (which yesterday had a 13 minute wait due to high demand of calls)?

Phones
    LG 9900 EnV
    Carrier
    VerizonWireless
    Feedback Score

Doh!!!

Yes, you are so right.

I got off the phone with the VZW rep, and gripped her on
    a ton of questions.

According to her, the $15 tethering is for BES type accounts
    to sych calendar and contacts. In addition to the $29.99
    data plan.

To do normal tethering, it's $29.99 for 5Gb plus the $29.99
    data plan, so $59.99 total.

I'm not sure if that's at all feasible. If I'm going to pay that
    much for slow broadband (in know 1.5m isn't slow, but it is
    when you have 16M turbo), I'd go with either a EDO RevA card
    for my PC that can be used in a Linksys router as well, or
    I'd spring for the 3G-HWIC for my c2811 and run it that way.

Phones
    BB 9630 Tour
    BB 9530 Storm (Retired)
    BB 8130 Pearl (Retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Be Carefull

Quote Originally Posted by lv1
    Interesting how much mis-information is out there between the Interent and VZ CS. I just looked at my bill and Unlimited Data (BIS) is $29.99 . Tethering (Broadband Connest UNL Data) is $15.00. VZ Navigator is/was $9.99 a month. I am not aware of any plan that gave it away for free.
    You need to pay close attention to your bill.. I thought I could get over on VZW and just get lucky and add tethering to my bill for $15 (I'm on BIS), about 7-8 days later I looked and what had happened, and what is happening with you if you have added the $15 tethering feature to your bill is you only get 10MB of data on your actual blackberry and 5gb of tethering. I had used 17MB and was able to catch it in time. So Ill break this down for everyone:

BIS $29.99 + $15 tethering = 10MB of actual data usage on your phone and when tethered you get 5GB.

BIS $29.99 + $30 tethering (Which is the exact same as BES $44.99 +$15 tethering) gives you 5GB on both the handheld and tethering.

I have spent numerous hours on the phone with Tech support and CS and this is an issue they are addressing widely. If you happen to talk to a CS and get her to add the $15 tethering to your BIS plan (and trust me a lot of them will add it), You will get F***** if you surf any significant amount on your handheld.

Phone
    Droid
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    VSP1140
    Are you saying that if I have the normal BIS $29.99 plan and nothing else the cap for surfing or browsing anything on the web is 10mb!!! This is the first time someone has been told this to my knowledge... That is obsurd, looks lik VZW will be loosing many customers if the is accurate. And many of us will end up paying a lot in the end because of they cant seem to have an accurate descripton of what is included in these plans. Which every CS rep has told me it is UNLIMITED DATA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi
    Did not know you could just add and remove without a full months charge! I will absolutely do this from now on. Can I just add this via the vzw web site, or do I actually have to call CS (which yesterday had a 13 minute wait due to high demand of calls)?
    Unfortunately I think you can only do it over the phone (or in a store).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lv1
    Some people have gotten lucky and through a mistake (intentional or not) on VZW's part were able to get the $15 tethering add-on on their $29.99/month data plan, even though that's not what it should be. By policy, as explained earlier, it's supposed to add up to $60, so for a $29.99/month data plan the tethering add-on is $30. Some people might have been lucky, and might still get lucky, but in general most won't fall into this category where VZW makes a mistake. As for VZ Navigator, at least in case of feature phones, there are Premium plans that include it.

Phones
    LG 9900 EnV
    Carrier
    VerizonWireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    Unfortunately I think you can only do it over the phone (or in a store).

you are correct on this..

The CS thought that it was an option from VZW's
    myverizon page, but then she corrected herself,
    and said you'd have to call back in, or go to a store
    to add the tethering if I was to change my mind
    and add it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast