Thread: Alternative Omnia Interfaces

Phones
    BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330(me)
    LG Cosmos (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Alternative Omnia Interfaces

We all love our Omnias, but we are all also sick and tired of the basic Windows Mobile interface. The Samsung Widgets are nice, but we can't add any new ones. The Samsung Today screen is neat looking, but not very functional. Thankfully, we have options for alternate interfaces.

There is a thread over at modaco detailing how one can install HTC's TouchFlo 2D:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-o...lo-2d-on-i900/

I've done this, as have a few other people here on HoFo, and it's completely amazing! There are two downsides to this. The first is that the main TF2D screens don't work in landscape mode. The second is that the only way to remove TF2D is a hard reset.

Another option is SPB mobile shell, which I have used briefly. My initial impressions were that it's clunky and hard to integrate with the Omnia, but I really didn't spend enough time to try out different skins and the like. There are some good skins for SPB Mobile Shell running on the Omnia:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/prod...obileshell/?en

http://www.imarche.net/omnia/index.php

I am currently using Winterface:

http://iwindowsmobile.com/vito-mobile-shell.html

There is a 14 day trial, which I am using to fully explore this. Winterface is the most iPhone like. It also reminds me of the BB icon interface. It's simple, yet elegant and attractive. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, and so far is my favourite.

Phones
    Motorla DROID
    Blackberry Storm 9530
    Samsung Omina i910
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thread info. Will definitely try it when it comes later this week.

Is there a way to remove the TouchWiz UI interface to save space. From what I gather, after the whole TF2D install, there aint much space left
    ---
    Mobile Technology Deals
    http://mobiletech.knguyentu.com/

Phones
    LG Cosmos (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AFAIK, there is no way to remove TouchWiz - it's probably part of the ROM. Now, about free space after installing TF2D, the thread on modaco does mention which modules are not needed (4, 5, 8, 11, 12 - IIRC). The main solution to this, IMHO, would be to reserve the device memory for TF2D only - install everything else to the 8GB storage card, as well as relocate Opera's cache to the storage card. I did that, and had between 25 and 30MB of device memory free. If you're runing everything but the GUI and system from the storage card, you shouldn't see any problems.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I put SPB Mobile Shell on mine yesterday. I really am happy with this phone now. My only gripe was the UI, which this totally resolved for me.

Phones
    LG Cosmos (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you try out the themes I linked to, let me know how they are!

Phone
    Samsung Omnia i910
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    2nd. Using SPB Mobile Shell with the skin pack from imarche.net. Also found a today screen plugin that "replaces" the today screen. So if you quit out of an app, if it defaults back to the today screen, the plugin will take you back to the SPB Now Screen instead so you're using SPB UI the entire time.

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    HTC Touch Pro II
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    SPB Mobile Shell has saved this phone from going back. It transforms the phone into something that I can use. Those widgets are a joke. The Today screen was ok, but I like my calendar available at a glance. The weather feature is cool too.

Phones
    ||D)).||R\.((O)).[|].||D)).
    Samsung Omnia, Moto V9m, Samsung Juke
    Moto E815, Samsung A990
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    GDawg:
    Can you provide a link to this plugin. I've been using SPB Mobile Shell and that's really my only gripe. Thanks in advance.

Phone
    Samsung Omnia i910
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Yep, you can get it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=2029338

Basically, put the cab file on your phone and install. Go to the Today screen item options and uncheck everything except "SpbWatcher".

Do a soft reset on your phone and when it comes back up, should go automatically to the Now Screen as well as if you hit the end button, it will flash the today screen for a split sec and go back to the Now Screen.

Phones
    LG Env Touch
    LG Dare (backup)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless IN baby!
    Feedback Score
    OK.. SBP Mobile shell is the way to go!!!

It makes this touch based device truly TOUCH!!!

Also, use SPBwatcher... it completes the idea for SBP Mobile shell

Plus with these reg hacks... ITS just about there.

Disabling of Samsung dialer:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Phone\Skin]
    "Enabled"=dword:1, you should change to 0 and reboot your Omnia

You can turn off the pop up of keyboard every time there is an input space on today:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip]
    "TurnOffAutoDeploy"=dword:1

This helps the low incoming call volume:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/CONTROLPANEL/SOUNDCATAGORIES/INCALL = INITVOL - WAS 2, CHANGED IT TO 4.

Phones
    Moto E815, Samsung A990
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What registry editor are you guys using? Is there a cab file link I can grab?

Phones
    Moto E815, Samsung A990
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GDawgC220
    Yep, you can get it here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=2029338

Basically, put the cab file on your phone and install. Go to the Today screen item options and uncheck everything except "SpbWatcher".

Do a soft reset on your phone and when it comes back up, should go automatically to the Now Screen as well as if you hit the end button, it will flash the today screen for a split sec and go back to the Now Screen.
    Thanks for the info.

Phone
    Motorola DROID 2
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I tried mobile shell. It has some nice features but I didn't see a way to add the programs I wanted to launch from the today screen.

Phones
    LG Cosmos (wife)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Try Winterface or TF2D!

Phones
    Droid
    Tour
    Palm Plus
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    anybody got screen shots of what there phone looks like with the shell? or pictures of how it would look, I got the TF2d and like it, but would like to try others, just to make sure I made the right decision!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast