Thread: Does Verizon use data to send/receive pictures?

Feedback Score

Does Verizon use data to send/receive pictures?

I know ATT uses Data to send/receive Pics. my daughters ATT phone has internet disconnected therefore she can not recieve or send pictures.

The guy at the VZ store said with VZ and her internet disconnected she can still send and receive Pictures.

is that true?

thanks-

Feedback Score
    Yes you can still send pictures/video/voice messages with data blocked.
    Only on smartphones you cannot, as data is billed differently and is counted toward your data plan. (Hence, if you have data blocked, you can't receive/send ANY data, including MMS)

Phone
    lg envy2
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    if you block data on the voyager or the dare though you cannot send or reciever pics. texts yes pics no...

Phones
    LG EnV Touch
    LG EnV3 / Hubby's
    Grey KRZR K1M - Son's - Flashed to VIVO
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Actually, having the Data blocked on ANY phone takes away the ability to send or receive picture or video messages, as they do go through the data network, even though they don't bill data. I blocked it on my son's K1M and he can't send anything but plain text messages. Tried blocking Data on my daughters VZW Blitz, they warned me she wouldn't be able to send/receive pix messages (her phone doesn't do video anyway).

Phone
    LG Dare
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    ya..i actually had a palm centro and lg voyager and got charged every damn time i sent or received a damn pic/video msg..so i went and had to get a damn verizon blitz..but i actually like the phone alot

Feedback Score
    With a complete data block you can't send/receive PIX-FLIX (MMS) messages, while TXT (SMS/EMS) messages will still work. Now, if you simply bock just Mobile Web then you can still send/receive PIX-FLIX (MMS) messages, as well as TXT (SMS/EMS) messages--data can still be used on the phone, just that Mobile Web itself won't be available.

Feedback Score
    still a bit confused.

according to vz sending pics is free.

Unlimited Messaging
    You can now get Unlimited Messaging with anyone on any network in the U.S. Now the only thing to worry about is sore thumbs.

With Nationwide Select, Connect or Premium Calling Plans you get Unlimited Text, Picture, Video Messaging and Instant Messaging to anyone on any network in the U.S. Messaging is available from within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, and is not available throughout the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area.

so does this mean that they will not charge you for data use sending the pic?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyttt
    still a bit confused.

according to vz sending pics is free.

Unlimited Messaging
    You can now get Unlimited Messaging with anyone on any network in the U.S. Now the only thing to worry about is sore thumbs.

With Nationwide Select, Connect or Premium Calling Plans you get Unlimited Text, Picture, Video Messaging and Instant Messaging to anyone on any network in the U.S. Messaging is available from within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, and is not available throughout the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area.

so does this mean that they will not charge you for data use sending the pic?
    If you are on an older plan (like America's Choice) and don't have V CAST VPak or perhaps a PDA/BB phone, then you would be charged airtime for PIX-FLIX (MMS) messages, since that's how data is charged, whether or not you have a messaging package or might even be on a Select plan that includes unlimited messaging.

On newer (Nationwide) plans, the data used by PIX-FLIX (MMS) messages doesn't incur charges (whether or not you have V CAST VPak, any messaging package, on a Select plan, have a PDA/BB phone, or anything like that).

If you have data block, no matter what plan you are on or what phone you have, you won't be able to use PIX-FLIX (MMS) messaging as data is blocked on your line and it's needed for PIX-FLIX (MMS) messaging.

Phones
    Droid Incredible
    Moto Droid(Sold)
    Blackberry Tour(Sold)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nationwide plans do not use data to send/receive picture/video messages.

Older America's Choice plans did use airtime when sending/receiving picture messages.

On non-HTML phones you can block out web etc without blocking out picture/video messaging.

On phones like the Voyager/Glyde etc, if you block out data(National Access Block feature) it will also disable picture/video messaging as well.

Someone covered smartphones earlier.....data block on there(also national access block) will block sending/receiving of picture/video messaging. Smartphones do not use Kb/MB to send/receive picture messages... at least not now, a while back they did if you had a pay as you go data plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skullman80
    Nationwide plans do not use data to send/receive picture/video messages.

Older America's Choice plans did use airtime when sending/receiving picture messages.

On non-HTML phones you can block out web etc without blocking out picture/video messaging.

On phones like the Voyager/Glyde etc, if you block out data(National Access Block feature) it will also disable picture/video messaging as well.

Someone covered smartphones earlier.....data block on there(also national access block) will block sending/receiving of picture/video messaging. Smartphones do not use Kb/MB to send/receive picture messages... at least not now, a while back they did if you had a pay as you go data plan.
    Well, technically speaking, even on Nationwide plans data is used to send/receive PIX-FLIX (MMS) messages (since that's really what's used to transfer those messages), there's just no charge associated with that particular data. Essentially the same thing applies to PDA/BB phones--data is used just no charges associated with it--no matter what data plan/feature they have (PAYG included).

Phones
    Droid Incredible
    Moto Droid(Sold)
    Blackberry Tour(Sold)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    Well, technically speaking, even on Nationwide plans data is used to send/receive PIX-FLIX (MMS) messages (since that's really what's used to transfer those messages), there's just no charge associated with that particular data. Essentially the same thing applies to PDA/BB phones--data is used just no charges associated with it--no matter what data plan/feature they have (PAYG included).
    Well I figured people would understand what I was referring to.

I know that's a huge leap of faith I'm taking there, but yeah.

Phone
    VZW Galaxy Nexus / Google Nexus 7
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Man.. I really wish someone would make a sticky about what is/isn't billed/charged under nationwide plans... sure would be handy.. oh wait.

My Feedback

Free eBook, worth a read.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone-